Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Different type of tuning pegs on same guitar. Is this common?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vetplus40, Feb 11, 2018.

1. vetplus40

vetplus40 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Western, Kentucky
    I recently bought a 2001 Strat (not sure which model) off of Ebay. When it arrived, I noticed that it had two different styles of tuning pegs on it. I guess I didn't notice this in the photos before bidding. I restrung it before thinking about taking a pic, but I did include a rough sketch.

The issue that I have (outside of knowing if this is something that the factory would do) is that I like to have the string wind down the peg. The shorter peg style with the "hat" makes it very difficult to do this with a wound string. There simply isn't enough space to male the windings with out overlap, unless you use very little excess string. For the three smaller strings, this design isn't an issue due to the thinness of the strings.

That said, if anyone can enlighten me on this situation, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, can't get the pic off of my phone to download. I have never attached a pic to a message before, so I will have to study up on it.

The two bass string pegs are the standard "hourglass" design with a hole in the middle. The other four are shorter in height and have some type of "hat" design sitting on top of the hourglass shape. The "hat" has shoulders that extend outward. Almost like a lip that was designed to keep string from sliding up but that is just a guess.

All of the pegs looks the same on the mounting side and all have the Fender stamp.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    We can't help unless you show us photos.....

Some of the Fender guitars have staggered tuners meaning the posts are 3 different heights...is this what you have? It helps with better string pressure behind the nut....

Usually they come on models without string trees, but they could have been modified / added by a previous owner....

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    They are staggered tuning pegs, and I hate them. They are supposed to give more down force on the nut, and eliminate the need for a string tree, but IMHO do neither. And yes, they are factory stock.

They are ok on locking tuners, but are IMHO, a pain in the arse with non locking tuners.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Fender started putting staggered posts (non locking) with only 2 heights on the AM STD a few years back. They suck.

carver and Guitarmageddon like this.

5. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Split shaft vintage kluson style tuners are such a simple and functional design I really don’t know why they used anything else....

6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    I wish Grover had a similar design for Gibson.

Mr C likes this.

7. vetplus40

vetplus40 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Western, Kentucky
    Thanks for the info. I would prefer to have non staggered, but outside of the short "D" peg, I'm okay with it. Had they done a 3 short and 3 tall, I wouldn't have had any issue.

Thanks again.

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Are they locking? Do they have a knob on back? Only staggered Fender tuners I've had were locking. Loved them. Not so sure I would like staggered non-lockers. Guess I'll never know.

9. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    If they are, in fact, locking staggered tuners, then you don't have to worry about string winds at all. Just pull it through, lock it down and tune up.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

10. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    I have two strats with staggered tuners, one is locking and the other isn't. Locking tuners make life so much simpler :)

11. Amstrat

Amstrat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Canada
    I have Vintage locking tuners from Gotoh. Came in Fender packaging. Same as the Kluson splits but locking. Fabulous