Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Difficult to sell guitars during summer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Cerb, Jul 12, 2018.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Interesting. When I worked in pro audio sales, August tended to be quiet, as was the period around Christmas. On ebay, selling an electric guitar in November until maybe end of February is close to economic suicide. It's a time of year when family comes first in the run-up to Christmas, then people feel poor afterwards.

But hot weather, the World Cup and Wimbledon Tennis are all competing for people's attention right now. In Sweden, that guitar is worth more than it is in the UK or USA. As others have suggested, hang on in there and you'll get a decent price. :thumb:

Cerb likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Last few weeks of August tend to be active (buying and selling for fall).

Lol!

3. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    There is no down time in used guitar sales. If your guitar isn’t selling online it’s due to either a higher the average market price, poor picture quality or poor description.

jjudas, Cerb and Grux like this.
  4. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    That certainly hasn't been my experience of selling into the European market, but that doesn't mean your comments are wrong. @Cerb, would like to give a few pointers as to where you're selling your guitar, and how you're presenting it?

I strongly suspect you've done a great job, but seeing what you've done so far may focus our minds. :sneaky:

Cerb likes this.
  5. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    False. Value is merely opinion.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    That's stupid.

7. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I bought and sold many guitars in the US on eBay since 2005. I have never experienced a down time as a buyer or as a seller. Sellers that provide good photos and descriptions tend to get higher prices. I recommend checking the completed listings - sold and unsold before listing a guitar.

jjudas and Cerb like this.
  8. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    Patience is key, along with a thick skin that goes along with a fair pricing of the instrument.

At the same time, it may be worth scouring for trade deals whereby the item you're trading for has a better chance of resale.

Trading up with a top up on your end could land you in a better position to get more cash back eventually. Sounds like a lot of hard work, but in the long run, it works out better.

Cerb likes this.
  9. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    Also opinion

10. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    :)

I started by putting it up for auction at the Swedish version of ebay. When I auction somehing off I usually put a reserve that's the absolute rock bottom I'd sell for. This time however I made that the starting bid. I think this may confirm what I've suspected, people are more likely to up the prize if they get to bid from a low start, that someone else is willing to pay almost as much as you are is confirmation that you don't over spend.

It's now listed on three sites, one is the Swedish version of CL, one is our version of Reverb although less commercialized and not as nicely presented. The third one is a sort of flea market app where I've never successfully sold anything.

I usually don't have any problems selling gear, a couple of weeks ago I sold the H&K amp and a pedal for a small profit in less than a day. Anyway, the ad says what the guitar is and year of manufacture, then it goes on to describe the condition and this is where it could certainly be improved, as most of the ad describes flaws rather than traits. The description says that there's a scratch on the back that hasn't gone through the finish and that the hard case has two cracked corners. That's pretty much it. All four sites I've used have a five photo limit.

I usually try to be very up front about damages or flaws, if someone comes to see it I prefer they get a positive surprise and if someone wants it shipped it's important for obvious reasons.

As @vid1900 pointed out, dusting the pick guard probably wouldn't hurt.

I attach the pictures Gibson SG (1 av 5).jpg Gibson SG (2 av 5).jpg Gibson SG (3 av 5).jpg Gibson SG (4 av 5).jpg Gibson SG (5 av 5).jpg .

BallisticSquid and jjudas like this.
  11. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 8, 2013
    Preston UK
    Guitar sales on Ebay have been really quiet for the last couple of months both listings and sales. My watch list is about a quarter of it's usual size and sales I record would normally be at 10 to 15 on a weekday are about 5 or so. Only 2 yesterday.

Cerb likes this.
  12. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    I look a lot closer a $2000 guitar than a $200 guitar, and everybody else does too. The same "I'll take $20 off of it" scratch on a Vintage Modified Squier Strat is an "I'll take a thousand dollars off of it" scratch on a custom shop Martin triple-O.

And weather or not Gibson values have actually diminished, between the recent robot tuner debacle, the spate of quality control issues, the reports of employees being unfairly treated, the constant tide of factory seconds flooding the market, not to mention bankruptcies and restructuring, my opinion of their products, and of them as a company, is at an all time low.

Cerb likes this.
  13. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Sounds like there's not much wrong with your listings, but it seems to be a slow market. The size of the market in Sweden is nothing like the US, or even the UK, meaning the number of 'right buyers' who have the money and want that particular model may be quite small.

I made the stupid mistake of selling an SG Special in the run-up to Christmas with no reserve. It went for £310, which I regretted greatly. It never occured to me it wouldn't reach £400.

As others have suggested, I'd just sit it out until the right deal comes along. At various times Les Pauls, 330s, Rickenbacker guitars, Fender Jaguars... have been a slow sell. Then someone sells a lot of albums playing one and everybody wants one. :)

Cerb likes this.
  14. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Southern Michigan, USA
    Putting it up before tax return time might help. That's based on when I make most of my purchases, spring tax return. YMMV.

15. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    As I suggested to @Cerb, the US market is vast compared to Sweden, or even the UK. Factor in your relatively buoyant economy, and the lower cost of non-vintage US-made guitars, you're undoubtedly in the best country in the world for trading in used instruments. Enjoy!

Hudman_1 and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    That's true, there's maybe 2000-2500 ads at the moment and that includes guitars, basses, amps and effects.

Anyway, it looks like the SG is sold, it ships out tomorrow and unless the buyer decides to send it back it's gone. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me though. I just came across this: https://www.blocket.se/vi/79891367.htm

I have a history of falling for pointy Ibanez guitars that I end up selling again. It's like I'm slowly turning into @Lonn light.

I haven't acted on it yet but...

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Noooooooooooooo! :eek::eek::p

Cerb likes this.
  18. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I know :)

simoncroft likes this.
  19. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I've found that the best time to sell stuff is when the tax refund checks are rolling in.

20. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    I’m not buying it, the whole seasonal guitar buying thing, GAS strikes when it strikes, you can’t control it. Oh, you think you can control it, ha, think again!!

Ok maybe I am buying it...a midsummer Strat that is;). Incoming NGD day next week, well NUGD anyway. That’s new used guitar day, first one in a couple of years, stay tuned.:thumb::thumb:

smithstrato, Bob the builder and Cerb like this.