Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Digitech RP55 Multi-effect pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by CrazyJoe, Jul 2, 2018.

1. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 15, 2018
    St. Louis
    Does anyone else here have this pedal? What do you think about it?

I opted for a multi-effect pedal for my first effects pedal, mainly to get as many effects as possible for as little money. Definitely not convenient if you're performing and have to switch effects quickly. But anyways, I use this with my Squire Bullet HH Stratocaster.

Thanks

Joe

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I would never buy another cheap digitech multifx again. They are cheaply constructed. Every one I’ve owned, the pedals quit sensing pressure or changed settings on their own. Sound ok though. I would go for a used boss, line6,etc. my personal favorite is the fender mustang floor. One is left on reverb for 150 bucks or so.

3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I had a Digitech RP255 which I believe is the same pedal as your just with a few other bells and whistles like a looper and an expression pedal. The distortion and time-based effects were nice but ultimately I opted to upgrade to stand alone pedals once I determined what sound I was going for. Still , was a fun unit and had a wide range of tweakbility.

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I used a Digitech RP500 for a while.
    It was really good for heavily effected sounds (think Gilmour, or The Edge) but it lacked any realistic tones.
    But, considering how long ago it came out, it was really good for its time.

The best way to use a RP pedal is directly into your computer with monitors or headphones. Running it into the front of an amp might get a little wonky in the tone department. Though it will work.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Yeah that was my experience. Sounded fine in my hard rock days. Plenty of heavy distortions and effects, left a lot to be desired in durability. They just seemed to fall apart compared to other brands I had. They might have improved in That regard, but from pics, it looks basically the same.

That’s why I think OP should save his 60 bucks and put it toward something that will give him room to grow. A used Boss will give him lots of options, one is for sale for 75 bucks locally right now, and has everything he would need, plus you can edit on the fly. 2 pedals to control stuff only goes so far.

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I think the OP already owns the pedal.

7. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Yes I do have one. I upgraded to a Boss GT-001 but it's a fun device with some usable sounds (though most of the built-in ones are a bit OTT).

8. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an RP155. It's a lot of fun and, as mentioned earlier, it's not realistic, although it is fun to fool around with for delays and effects pedals.

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 15, 2018
    St. Louis
    I got the pedal used from Guitar Center. It only cost me $25. I thought it would be a cheap intro to effects, since I've never played a guitar with them before.

Once I get a better idea of what effects I want, I can opt for quality pedals and a full pedalboard.

Stratoskater and TheDuck like this.

10. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talk Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Gloucester, UK
    I just got one, they seem to be at a low price at the moment. I'm very familiar with effects, I just wanted a simple box for a few jobs. Mine came with a slight fault, the down button wasn't working properly, selecting bypass and the tuner was difficult. Anyway getting rather annoyed at this I took the cover off, the upshot being, it's a great example of minimalist design for manufacture, there's two screws holding the PCB in place that are critical for alignment of the footswitches and the battery power feed. I gave both screws a nice tweak and everything is good now.

The unit has some interesting effects but they are macros and there's no "depth" setting so many effects are just too much to be useful. I want little vib, so I select macro 1, but still it's too "deep". I know also with amp sims they usually need some carefull setting up otherwise they tend just to thrash everything.
    The harmonizer is nice, who needs a second guitarist for Thin Lizzy stuff! All told though, the tone quality is good, I can tell it has a sweet sound cpu/processor, the circuitboard is full of tech, so it's a lot of tech for little money.
    So why not as a starter or a useful box to have? I still think, although costlier and a nightmare to keep reliable, single box efx are better.