Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

DIY raw neck clear coat

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by rickyp, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

Wanted to buy a neck from Warmoth, but wanted to apply my own waterslide decal under the clearcoat. So, if I get an unfinished one with the nut and frets installed, put the logo on myself, then spray it, will it be good to go when it dries? Do I have to do anything to the frets afterwards, or do necks usually get sprayed before they have the frets and nuts in them?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Definitely with the headstock, you'll be good to go after just spraying over it. If you don't want the logo to have an outline, clearcoat it, then use light sandpaper and smooth it out to where the headstock is even, then clear again.

I would be hesitant to clearcoat the fretboard. From what I've seen, home fretboard clearcoats chip off very easily.

If I were in your shoes, I would clearcoat the headstock (necessary for the logo) you can steel wool it if you want a natural wood-looking finish.
    And then depending on your preference, clearcoat or Tru-Oil the back of the neck.

then on the fretboard, I would do many layers of tru-oil until you get a little bit of shine. Oil won't crack and fall off like clearcoat does on a fretboard.

3. jeremy blaze

jeremy blaze Senior Stratmaster

What wood are we talking here?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. nickmsmith

I assume maple since he was talking about the frets being on or off.

6. moobox

moobox Strat-Talk Member

Tru-oil - the gunstock stuff? What about Danish oil on the fretboard and back of the neck?

7. nickmsmith

Yep. Guitar finishers swear by tru oil. Never tried Danish oil.

8. jeremy blaze

jeremy blaze Senior Stratmaster

I used tung oil on the bare maple neck I had, friend has it now, and it's still good.