Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Do you wrap your strings on locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by MetalPedal, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    I dunno, I must be lucky I guess. I can tune my strat, play it then set it down, Pick it up days or more later and it's right how I left it

2. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    when folks say their guitar holds tune, how tight does it hold tune?

3. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

4. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

5. DFW_Strat

DFW_Strat Strat-Talk Member

Jun 8, 2016
    DFW, Texas
    On my old Strat I had Sperzels and would wrap a couple times around, mostly because it just looks more natural to have some kind of wrap on the posts (to me anyway). That guitar held tune wonderfully. My current guitar is a Squier Deluxe, and while the tuners are smooth and feel like quality, tuning is an issue with the guitar. Might have more to do with the current setup than the tuners though. I've heard my whole guitar-playing life (25 years) that tuners are hardly ever the problem with tuning. I have to admit that's never entirely made sense to me though.

6. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    Dead on

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    So you just hate stupid lockers. Try some good ones. I'm hooked. If I have to replace any of my nominal tuners I will likely buy a set of these:
    [​IMG]
    I can do a complete string change with my Tronicals in 10 minutes at a reasonably leisurely pace. I did one on my Les Paul with the
    Grover lockers in 5 minutes without trying.

Ruscio likes this.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    This is how I string one of my guitars with a double locking Floyd. I only have to cut the string one and then only wrap less than once.
    1533968868535.jpg
    Instant lockers

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:33 AM
    Rastus likes this.

9. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here

10. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    +1 here !

Sperzels are fitted on my black-beauty Strat-Plus, & the way the peg is designed, there's nowhere to wrap the string anyway !...

I've found that pulling the string through the peg with a pair of pliers, & then lifting the guitar off the floor, & then tightening the lock-screw (whilst suspended in the air), gives the best results, as the strings don't then knife-away into your fingers lol !

All the best,

Rastus

11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm a tech, so install the strings with one wrap to accommodate the loosening/tightening I often have to do while doing adjustments.

YeOldeRocker likes this.

12. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Just pull it through, pull it tight, clamp it, tune it.

13. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talk Member

Apr 25, 2017
    White River Junction, VT
    First, my guitar stays in tune whether I wrap it or not. Strings go out of tune for a number of reasons - degradation of the string itself, wood-play via humidity/temp changes, etc., some slippage (more with non-locking tuners, but still some with locking) and then - within a few minutes after stringing - a well-set-up guitar should always stay in tune. Locking the string has little or nothing to do with staying in tune. Once the "play" in a new string settles, there should be no more give. The locking tuners simply expedite the stringing process and anchor the string better than a no-lock tuner.

Secondly, as to why I (and others) would bother to wrap a string at all with locking tuners, I can only tell you that wrapping a string a wind or two beyond the lock is still worlds easier than with non-locking tuners. The string is locked in place prior to winding, which makes winding itself easier, and I don't wind, or need to wind, with nearly as many turns. The extra wrap or two on the post prevents string breakage on an unwrapped hard-bend (that's just physics); the wrap takes the pressure off the locked angle. Once stretched (and stretching is still required, although less-so than on a regular tuner peg), pitch will stay reasonably put until the strings themselves wear out.

Regarding articles being quoted one way or the other, polar-opposite opinions can be produced on almost any topic - often strong ones - while, in truth, everyone and their guitars' mileage will vary in practice, rather than in theory. In other words, listen to logical advice, but do what works best for you and your particular guitars.

As I said earlier in this thread, I wrap once or twice, particularly on the upper strings as it pulls to pitch, and a bit less on the wound strings. My reason, again, is to prevent the mechanism that clamps the string from taking all the stress and eventually wearing/failing, and to prevent string breakage at an awkward right angled pinch-point. Since my only guitar with locking tuners is also my oldest guitar, I can say personally that - on the advice of the original Strat Plus Fender paperwork - the tuners are still in pristine working condition and that tuning is remarkably fast and easy compared to non-locking tuners on my other guitars.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what all the fuss on this thread - one way or another - is actually about.

MetalPedal and JustABluesGuy like this.

14. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Lol, that's a lot of work. I just pull the string tight with my fingers and use a good sharp set of snips to cut off the wire really close to the shaft.

Rastus likes this.

15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I tried that method ONCE and only once! Removing the strings can be a royal pain in the arse, especially if the string happened to break at the tuner! I love the Fender lockers on my wiggle stick guitars, vintage slotted on my other fenders and Grovers on my Les Pauls.

As per Fender's instructions for the lockers, calling the line from bridge to headstock as the headstock being 12:00, they recommend:
    High E = 1:00
    B = 2:00
    G = 3:00
    D = 3:00
    A = 4:00
    Low E = 5:00​
    Also, they do not require "Gorilla Strength" tightening! Good N Snug is enough.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

16. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-Talker

Nov 14, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    This is interesting, but judging from your pic I think you might be putting some undue and potentially problematic stress on any strings that make contact with the ball end. This creates extra places where the strings are bent sharper than necessary, rather than gently round the post. Of course, this probably doesn't matter much once you lock them at the nut.

17. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Vintage style tuners should be the only style.

18. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have those pick holders on all of my guitars and haven't ever had any tuning issues. The pick wedgie had come in handy many times when launching picks. It also can allow me to keep a different size pick nearby if I need one.
    Sorry I think I misunderstood what you were talking about. With the ball ind being the lock on the post and the sharp angle of the twisted part of the string I still havent ever had any issues with wither breakage or tuning even before I got the string lock on that guitar. I have been doing it for about 7 years on that guitar now too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 10:34 PM

19. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    LOL,

It's not so bad really ! I found that the unwound strings were chewing into my fingers when I raised the guitar up off the floor for the string tension - ( guitar hovering just above my foot ), so pulling them through with my hands for the tension became a no-go.

At the time, my guitar was breaking the G-string on a regular basis, pretty much every gig I was playing, so it was one thing to stop the band for a broken guitar string, & another for bleeding all-over-the-place LOL !

I just substituted the pliers for my hand, that's all. And lifting the guitar just-off-the-floor gave me the right tension for each string, as the guitars weight stretches them-out equally too.

Like the other posters have mentioned, no more than say 1/2 to 3/4's of a turn is needed to tune-to-pitch. And the whole process is done super-fast too, once you get the hang-of-it.

Cheers,

Rastus

MetalPedal likes this.