Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Documented 1954 Pre-Production Run Stratocasters

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by pjcarr, Aug 13, 2010.

1. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Welcome back! You and your expertise have been sorely missed and I certainly hope to get a
    copy of your book as well! :)

GEISHA likes this.
  2. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Thanks Mojosun and T Guitar Floyd for your nice welcome back words.

I will I have a lot of catching up to do going through many threads but I will take the time to do it.
    Regarding the book. Like I said I have a preliminary copy, it has 104 pages but it will grow a bit I fear.
    It deals with the ealiest Esquire/Broad-, No- and Telecasters, next comes the P bass, followed by the Stratocaster, Musicmaster, Duo Sonic and so on of the pre CBS era.

Before I had it printed I read it I don't know how many times, constantly making corrections, and still I find some errors.
    I will keep you updated on any progress.

Wayne D. and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  3. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    "Geisha I presume".Now I know how Henry Morton Stanley felt when he finally met his friend Dr. Livingstone in 1871, after years of searching.
    Welcome back my dear friend!:)

GEISHA and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  4. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Hi Wayne, good to know that you are alive and kicking.
    Sorry I kept you waiting for so many years.
    But here I am.
    Like I mentioned previously I left the guitar hobby in the doldrums for some time and I was busy with an 1978 Rolls Royce, which I sold last year October. Since then I have moved house, retired from working and having settled down, it is ever so nice to pick up my guitar hobby again.
    To be continued.

5. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Hoi @GEISHA, welcome back and what an interesting read.
    I hope you pick up where you left off. A lot of interesting stuff written in this post and the book must be a wealth of information.
    I'm also collecting a lot of data since a couple of years, but there's one thing that bothers me since the beginning and that is that a lot depends on what the owner or other people tell you. It is impossible to check every guitar in person, so you need to trust on what people say and unfortunately this brings forth inconsistencies and errors.
    On top of that I come across an increased quantity of really good replica's that make it even harder to get a correct view or a correct database of info.
    It also happened to Iwanade's other book, "Beauty of the Burst" which is also containing reproductions, not known to the author at the time.
    I admire every initiative like yours and want to cooperate whenever possible, but I think it's a very difficult job to complete.
    But, "veel succes" either way.

GEISHA and Wayne D. like this.
  6. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Let me make a contribution to this thread, I don't know if it has been posted before in that case forgive me.
    The pictures show a 1954 Strat serial # x4xx, I guess it is 0473 of 0477, from my zooming in, but what do you think.
    Neck heel date: 7-54 TG, but there is more written there, something that looks like 2 crosses, a faint # 3 on the far right and a signature or initial starting with a Z.
    No body date but a #3 written in the tremelo cavity.
    Assembly date Beck, August 2, 1954.
    VG2240Frnt11.JPG VG2240NeckDate21.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Hello my friend I believe that might be 0473. I have 0477 on file and it is easily ID'ed by its strange extra pickguard.:eek:

54 strat 0477 1.jpg 54 strat 0477 3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    McPhaul, GEISHA and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  8. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Thanks Wayne. That extra pickguard is covering Fred Bel's name. Neck date TG 9/54, Body showing date 6/54 and #2, assembled 10/10/54 by Mary.
    The trem plate has a routing. Trem block touching the cover.

Attached Files:

T Guitar Floyd and Wayne D. like this.
  9. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    I bought the Japanese book The Authority of the Stratocaster, issued as a celebration to the 60th anniversary of the Strat.
    The first guitar in this book is a pre production Strat, serial #0213 on the trem cover. I made some scans for your information.
    The body and neck date both 5-54 something for the '54 Strat register. Assembly date Gloria 6-2-54
    Enjoy:
    IMG_20171015_0001.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Thank you for the 'heads-up' on that one Geisha.:thumb:
    That is the highest serial number I've seen on a trem cover.:)

T Guitar Floyd and GEISHA like this.
  11. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    My pleasure Wayne. By the way the lower tone pot on this guitar is dated (Stackpole 394341), the 41st week 1953.

T Guitar Floyd and Wayne D. like this.
  12. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    GEISHA and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  13. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Bet it was one of the members of "Mister Mister". :)

Wayne D. and GEISHA like this.
  14. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Another one for the Strat registrar.

15. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Someone on another Forum said they thought it was Andy Taylor's strat.
    But I couldn't find any documentation that he ever had a '54.:confused:

16. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Just thought I'd ask . . . some '54s came with gold anodized pickguards. What kind of a process is that?
    I know that the gold wore through quickly back then, as the newer ones seem to hang in there longer.
    Any body out there know about this?

17. GEISHA

GEISHA Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2011
    Amsterdam

This is what I found on gold anodizing:

Also sometimes referred to as gold-dipping, gold anodizingis a process by which base metals are coated to produce a gold color, but are not necessarily dipped in real gold. This can be performed in a couple of different ways. The most common gold anodizing method is a two-part process that first anodizes a base metal and then coats it in a gold dye. The color can also be produced in the coating film by mixing the sulfuric acid electrolyte with an organic acid.

Anodizing is an electrochemical process that creates an oxide film on a base metal, in an electrolytic solution. The metal being treated becomes the anode, or positive electrode, and current is passed between it and a cathode, or negative electrode. Sulfuric acid is commonly used as the electrolytic solution. As direct current is passed through the solution, an anodic film is formed. When aluminum is used as the base metal, the film is called aluminum oxide.

The anodizing process can be performed on a variety of base metals, with aluminum being one of the most common. Titanium, zinc, and magnesium can also be used as a base metal. Using titanium can produce a gold coating without the use of any dyes. With titanium, a nitride coating can be formed, which can produce the golden color and still maintaincorrosion resistance. Gold anodizing on titanium is often used to create jewelry and artwork.

With regular anodizing processes, the electrical current is applied at a steady, constant rate. The same gold color can also be produced as part of the anodic film in a different process, however. This is done using a mix of an organic acid and a sulfuric electrolyte, and a pulsed current is applied, creating a golden, anodic film.

Inorganic methods can also be used in gold anodizing. Using ferric ammonium sulfate as an electrolytic solution produces black or gold colors on the base metal. Gold anodizing created by an inorganic method produces a stronger coating that is not as likely to lose its color. When inorganic dyes are used, they are normally sealed to protect the finish.

Metals are anodized to help protect them from corrosion. Andodizing changes the surface texture of a metal. Corrosion resistance can be achieved with a sealing process. Base metals can become harder than the original metal, but may lose some resistance to wear. Increasing the thickness of theanodized coating, or applying a sealant, can increase the durability of the outer layer.

savofenno and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  18. T Guitar Floyd

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Wow! That's a lot to comprehend. Thanks Geisha!

19. fiesta62

fiesta62 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2017
    australia
    heres a pic of my 54 serial number 115 on trem plate yes 15th strat made....orig finish, refret, pickup covers and knobs later issue....

Attached Files:

Ecosse, Wayne D., mojosun and 4 others like this.
  20. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Very tasteful... :D
    Did you put the newer plastics in the laundry? Never seen them this clean...
    They could use a little bit of dirt to match the guitar, imo... ;)