Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Does anyone else hate sunburst Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Vic Interceptor, Apr 14, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Haha... Seems to me, hating a sunburst Strat is like hating a red Ferrari, a white/blue Shelby, or a red Corvette. It's traditional & somewhat identifying, not cliche.
    BTW, to me, a '59 faded red SB with a rosewood neck is quite possibly the sexiest guitar I can imagine.

59 Strat.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Fuzzpop, ZlurkCorzDog, pwhite and 2 others like this.

2. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have not red through all of the posts in this thread because I don't know which direction the thread went but no I don't hate my burst. It was my second partscaster build and is still one of my favorite guitars. Truth be told a 2 tone with maple neck is my all time favorite look for a Stratocaster.

IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

3. Gmountain

Gmountain Strat-Talk Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Florida
    I don't like them- in black, brown etc. I do like the skyburst blue one.

4. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Sunburst is not one of my favorite colors (I prefer solid ones - Black, CAR,....) but I don't, by any means, "hate" them. For growing up with these around me, to me, what I always considered to be "the Stratocaster" is a 3TS with Rosewood board. This was long before I knew about 50's specs, 60's specs, etc. :)

Now I don't have that idea but for a long time this is what a though a proper "Fender Stratocaster" should be :)

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Does this count as sunburst? Well, it's sort of redburst.... I like this.

IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2673.JPG

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I don't hate sunbursts, but I am picky about them.
    I know I'm just a traditionalist, but having studied strats so much over the years it bugs me to see, for instance, a 3-tone SB with a maple board, or a 2-tone with rosewood.
    Also, I'm SUPER picky when it comes to the sunburst on a Les Paul - I HATE the clown burst - I only like ones where the red has faded to a pale orange, which tends narrow my options.
    I tend to favor honey bursts, but don't like the brown back and neck that tend to come with them - see?
    Picky.

Stratoskater likes this.

7. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Maine
    I'll admit, Sunburst Strats are pretty damn far down on my list of colors that I like.... but not as far down as black and white.....
    Which brings me to my ultimate point... try being a lefty and looking for an American Strat that isn't in those colors without paying through the nosiest nosey parts of your nose.... So I went with 3 Tone Sunburst, I do love the guitar though, so I don't let it bother me much.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

8. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I don't like bursts on Strats because the guard is too big. But the use of Alder since the late 50's makes me dislike the Strat burst even more, due to the inconsistent grain. I feel if you make a burst Strat, let it be Ash.

To allow for beauty of grain, make a smaller pickguard or no guard at all, and use Ash. The amoeba guard of the Strat is the offending noxious agent. The use of Alder is the reason most sunbursts are just MEH. I don't own one and prefer a painted Alder body. Like Olympic white and Firestorm red. A figured maple cap could make a more acceptable sunburst look, like the old Plus/Ultra series, of the late 90's.

9. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Feb 16, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    First World Problems.
    Bet no one cares in Syria or Yemen.

billybuck, bassetman and brians like this.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Absolutely true. Unfortunately, the same could be said for 99% of the stuff that gets posted on here. Nothing that we discuss on here is vital to the world continuing to turn on it's axis.

So are you going to make the same post in every single thread on ST? Or are you simply going to accept that that is the way that things are on a guitar forum?

Neil.C and Paperback Rocker like this.

11. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I didn't like Fender's bursts when I was younger. For some reason I can't recall now, I always thought of them as "old man guitars." Now that I'm older, I kind of like them. So maybe I was right all along.

12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    When you walk into a fancy house or office, it's generally got a lot of finished wood in the interior. More often stained and finished than painted.

It's a good look. Classy. Just like a sunburst guitar.

Dougeryb likes this.

13. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    Now that I look back, when I was buying my first bass, it had to be fire engine red, then the next was black. Didnt dislike burst, but wasnt drawn to them.

Now that Im older, so much older, I dont long for those young boy days.

Im happy with my sunburst ways.

ZlurkCorzDog and velvet_man like this.

14. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    This would look good in black. Not so much in sunburst though.

Bob the builder, dueducs and Dougeryb like this.

15. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    For the burst/black haters, just flash this image in front of your peepers every now and again, and you will find new found respect for the Fender bursts and black!

LPC-PSL11880_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

16. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    I dont know... when I have some time on photoshop, I can make a burst Ferrari to die for!

ZlurkCorzDog and Green Craig like this.

17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    But you can't see the grain on that red one

Green Craig likes this.

18. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hating sunburst Strats is like hating Christmas, puppies, sunshine, and joy.

Just my opinion.

19. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    What about finding sunburst boring, which more people have said than the ones who use the "hate" word?

Actually, I hate Xmas....... :sneaky:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Oh come on, you might hate the commercialization of Christmas, and how it makes us feel guilty if we don't spend hundreds of dollars on loved ones....but you can't hate getting together with friends and family and sharing good times :)

Neil.C and Paperback Rocker like this.