Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Does anyone run two amps at the same time?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Nate D, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    I run a drive/Clean setup with THD bivalve and a flexi 50, and a Bass amp/modeler DI for Baritone bottom end.
    Have also run the marshall/Fender setup back in the day. A relay switching ABY is the way to go with these things.

Nate D likes this.

2. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Hence the name @Duotone :)

I bet that sounds rad. Everyone is confirming my suspicion that this is something I need to do

3. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I run my Bugerra V-22 and my Vox AC4TV mini through a 1x12 cab at the same time. Big, full tone.

Nate D likes this.

4. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    So when I finally get a Deluxe Reverb I'm definitely keeping my Marshal DSL100!

Tube ToneChaser and Nate D like this.

5. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    how do you do that? i mean, is there 2 inputs on the cab? and how are you plugging your guitar into the 2 amps, aby switch?

Nate D likes this.

6. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I thought that looked cornfuzing after I sent it. The AC4TV mini comes with a 6.5" speaker. I use it like a head into a 1x12 cab so both the Bugerra and Vox are running their own 1x12 speaker. Simple ABY.

Nate D likes this.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ok....I had never heard of anyone running two amps into the same cab.

Nate D likes this.

8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    If I would I would try to run it like Gilmour does here, one with clean channel and the other attached to pedal board then attached to Volume pedal.

Percy and Nate D like this.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

A little discussion at 7:50min about Phil X's rig of two amps.

Nate D likes this.

10. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I've run my AC 15 and my Bandit together. The Bandit is left on the cleaner side, while the Vox is used for the dirt. They actually sound pretty good together !

Nate D and Tube ToneChaser like this.

11. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    Wait a minute. If two amps are good wouldn't four, five, or a dozen be even better? If Nigel Tufnel hears of this he may give up on the Amplifier Capo.

Nate D likes this.

12. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

I could listen and watch David Gilmore play till the end of ''Time''

Guy Named Sue and Nate D like this.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

When I saw Terd Nugget back in '78, he was playing through a bunch of Brown Deluxes daisy-chained together.

Tube ToneChaser, Nate D and CigBurn like this.

14. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Man that gets me every time...lololol

Nate D likes this.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Ever since I read that interview about him crapping his pants to avoid the draft, he's been Terd Nugget to me. LOL

16. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-O-Master

Mar 30, 2017
    South Carolina; USA
    I use two Amps, sometimes three, depending on the size of the venue we're playing in. The same is true for outdoor shows. I use combinations ofh Vintage Fender Amps, Marshalls, Mesa/Boogies, and Peaveys. The Amps I choose to use together depend on what I need, which songs are on the setlist, and what I need to use to get the Tones I'll need for that venue. I always try to use the least number of,Amplifiers I need to do theb job. It's always smart to keep a "spare" Amp or two nearby, too.

Nate D likes this.

17. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    I had never tried two amps at once til about a week ago. I was acquainting myself with a recently purchased mixing board. Hm..... stereo outputs.
    Wow, what a sound!

Tube ToneChaser likes this.

18. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    I'm not very familar with the newer Fender amps but I'd guess they are somewhat simular to the vintage amps. Something I haven't seen mentioned is on a Fender tube amp that has reverb the two channels are out of phase with each other unless the reverb on both channel mod has been preformed. This could be the case with newer Fender amps, I dont know. I believe Fender and Marshall are out of phase also as well as others I'm sure. If you wanted to play through both channels on the same amp or through two amps at the same time using different channels on each amp you will hear a noticable tone difference. Personally I think this out of phase tone sounds really good with two amps even though I mainly play with both amps in phase with each other. Another thing that can happen with two amps is it creates a ground loop which is another thing I experienced. Removing the ground prong on a AC cord is not the answer. I know a lot of people use A/B/Y pedals and they will work but I found a neat alternitive to the standard A/B/Y pedal. There's one A/B/Y pedal made by Fulltone that has a phase switch that corrects the out of phase problem. It also has a ISO Transformer that takes care of ground loops and two switchable Buffers, one for each amp. You can read how a ISO Transformer works on their site if your never heard of one. You can see the black A/B/Y switch on the left in my picture. The two amps on the left are connected to that pedal. I can't tell how great it sounds playing through two amps. Like you, I read about it and decided to give it a try and now I'm hooked. The Deluxe Reverb stacked on the 2X12 cab and the Bandmaster Reverb 2X12 cab have their own settings and harmonize nicely with each other with a full rich thick sound that fills the air like you wouldnt believe. Sounds equaly good with Humbuckers or Single Coil. I say give it a try you wont be disappointed.
    IMG_5094.JPG

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

19. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

I remember reading about how Alex Lifeson from Rush used a clean amp and overdriven amp for that glimmering yet overdriven tone that is unique of him.

One can only achieve this in the studio post production unless you have the know how and several nice amps connected at once.

20. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    There are a few boxes out there now that can do this. I think Palmer have one.