Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Does your band constantly change the setlist?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by BallisticSquid, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    You always have very useful, encouraging, and level headed input and advice...and I appreciate it :).

Good point about people, even more so when we are talking about creative types. We can be a quirky bunch!

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    @BallisticSquid As I read through this my sense is that you are in the wrong band. It doesn't sound like you care for the music or the management style of the band. If that's the case you should start looking for something different or another group to add. Make sure the other situation gives you more control over any or all of the: songs/planning/booking.

The rehearsal to gig ratio seems too out of proportion too.

To get closer to your original question, I think having some core ideas about setlists is a good idea. It's good to have solid set openers & closers, and this could be multiple songs. Also, have some core songs that work good in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd sets. Also, it's cool to have a few songs that are always played back-to-back. Stopping after every single song to get ready for the next is a real momentum breaker IMO.

Your only gigging every other month. You could rehearse, as a band, once or twice between gigs to stay sharp and work in two or three new songs...and that's it. Spend your other time working with someone else. However, my hunch is that wouldn't be an option. The other guys probably like getting together every week to jam, like it's a softball team and they are buddies, meanwhile having occasional gigs is their gravy.

3. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    My daughter's band will change their set list depending on the crowd they will be playing for. Different songs for a bar gig than say a wedding reception.

JustABluesGuy and BallisticSquid like this.
  4. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2017
    Maine
    I don't think we've ever played the same gig twice. We definitely are not a Dead or Phish style jam band by any means, but we also tend to find new rhythms and leave the original structure of songs frequently.
    If I played the same setlist, the same way every time I'd be bored to tears. We never go into a gig with a hard-fast setlist. We have a list of songs that we can do, and we play what we're feeling based on the crowd usually. We never play every song on the list. If it's a bar and it's jammed, we'll stick to our rocking stuff, if it's a slower portion of the night, we'll dial it back a bit until more people filter in and we'll pick it back up.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  5. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-O-Master

Jul 8, 2016
    Mississauga
    We would have to change our set list up lots, but that was because we would play the same place over and over. There were only 2 bars in the town, but when we started to ‘tour’ we didn’t feel the need to change it up that much because it was always a new audience

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I’m not surprised at all. This isn’t even a failing band. It’s just some buddies jamming. The other guys have never done more than play rock star.

I would call it a failed pre-band... I’m working toward my first real failing band!

7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Lol. The first failed band is the best.
    Pick 30 or 40 of everyone's favorite songs, never learn them, and finally never gig.

BallisticSquid and JustABluesGuy like this.
  8. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    we do all the time, depending on the gig... we have 20 songs we choose from. We're an original band so usually do one set gigs, with those we pick a lineup that we think suit the venue/other bands we play with.. Our two set gigs we usually keep the same though.. we always start and end with the same songs though

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Exactly! LOL!

We actually “performed” twice (“gig” implies compensation, right?). They went ok, but they were very friendly crowds (friends and co-workers).

I’m the one of the main reasons we never tried to do any real gigs. I have absolutely no desire to put on a mediocre show, knowing going in that it will be sub-standard.

The “lead singer” (I use that term very loosely) was contantly wanting to gig, and he was the weakest link! He couldn’t ever remember all the words to ANY song, and wasn’t a very good vocalist. He’s at best a half assed karaoke singer. He wanted to shop labels after very first jam in my garage!

I kept telling him that once we could get three really easy songs down really tight, I would be glad to go and do an open mic with them.

We never did do an open mic.

rocknrollrich and BallisticSquid like this.
  10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    It’s been decades since I was in a band. Personally, if I was in a cover band, I would prefer a constant influx of new songs to keep things interesting and challenging.

11. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I need to remember those days to help keep things in perspective. The situation I'm in now is far beyond the days of floundering trying to choose songs that everybody can agree on and then actually getting them down. Oh, and we suffered from a lack of singer...there was that too :D.

rocknrollrich and JustABluesGuy like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Yes, that's a valid point.
    The question is, does the work = the reward. I don't just mean that in a monetary sense.
    For example, in ballistic squids case:

A weekly rehearsal for bi monthly gigs.
    8 rehearsals for 1 gig.

Once a band gets tight with a setlist, they can reduce the number of rehearsals and still be really good.

Now if your setlist never stops rotating, you're gonna need to practice every week (and spend a lot of personal time working on songs).

Now I'm not saying don't expand and evolve your list, im just saying you need to check on that "work / reward" ratio now and then.

Also, if you gig infrequently, the songs will still be fresh to your audience.

Lastly, there's a benefit to knowing your song list from memory.
    You can forget about the nuts and bolts of the song, and just "let go" and perform/entertain. All the while having fun.

13. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    We add new material a little bit at a time.......and we only add a new song to the setlist if we all agree....if one member doesn’t like the song or the way it is progressing it gets put on the back burner and more often than not we try it again, usually with a different approach later.
    We are a three piece though, and most of the material is original.
    Personally I really wanted a keyboard player, but when we all talked it over we decided that we get along really well.....so why mess with it?

14. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

May 12, 2008
    Canada
    When I was playing out a few years ago, we tried the fixed setlists, and the constantly-shuffled sets. What we found (and club owners loved) was that we eventually learned how to dial it up and down spur of the moment....Not just in terms of songs tempos, but in terms of the crowd reaction. It's too easy to crank people up to a point where they never leave the dance floor to purchase drinks. The people that hired you need to make money too. There's a knack to balancing it, and rigid set lists don't necessarily work.

15. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    In my previous band, we would decide on a few set-lists which comprise of different permutations of songs depending on size of venue and how long we got per slot. We would then practise the hell out of the handful of set-lists depending on the gig that came up.. That certainly helped us in terms of tightness.

16. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I have a friend who used to play (and party) in his dad's fiddle band. They played the same songs for decades. I played with them as lead singer/lead guitar for a couple of years. He was awful on my tunes as he had no technical skills and I played songs with + 3 chords and not I IV V. And he sluffed off any issues "hey it's all fun right?"
    We were jamming (with charts) at a party the other day, he asked me how to play a C#m. I told him bluntly nope, and go home and figure it out.
    They depend on me to lead them through the songs, and don't practice at home as it's boring.

17. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    You understand just where I'm coming from. When I can just let go and perform, it's so much more fun! As an example, last night as I was running through set 2, I forgot to tune back to standard after a drop D tune...despite the big red note I put on the paper! Before everything was turned upside down I'd retune without a thought. You have to always be on your toes and can't just get lost in the music. Gotta pay attention to that paper! We have to pause between each song and make sure everybody is ready before launching into the next tune. No routine.

I understand where flipping it around all over is appropriate...plenty of great examples in this thread. Personally I don't think it applies to my band's situation, but I'll just have to agree to disagree with the bandleaders on this one :).

18. rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    The dreaded "retune" after a song.
    I can't tell you how many times!!!!!
    Lol.
    I went as far as to grab a different guitar for the song...... and then launch into the next song with the detuned guitar still around my neck!
    Whaddya gonna do.

19. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2018
    Kansas
    Constantly, no. Accordingly, yes.

20. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I was lucky in that the last band I was in was together for 12 years and only had one change of members (bassplayer).

I see both sides of it. We played about once a month, but practiced weekly. Set list would morph slowly. Maybe one or two new songs added each month. But at the end of a year, the set list was noticeably different than a year before.

By changing slowly, we were pretty tight with the stuff on our set list.

But the only real fun of practice was learning a new song. Let's face it: by the time you've played the same song 400 times, you hate it.

Most fun was when we first formed and were learning and practicing everything to get a set list together. After 12 years, the only thing I miss was the actual gigs and the BS between us all. Life and families took over so we rarely talk or see each other these days. So enjoy it while you can. I certainly don't miss set up and tear downs from gigs, though.

If I had the time to learn new stuff and practice it, I would prefer to add more new stuff. But that's easy to sit here and say, since I'm not the one actually having to do it.