Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

donlis high out put s.c

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by funkysoul, Nov 16, 2017.

1. funkysoul

funkysoul Strat-Talk Member

Jul 16, 2014
    greece
    ok after so many good reviews on donlis pu's and a set of low output hums for my 335 style guitar.i'm pulling the trigger on this one https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...tar-pickup-vintage-60/204043_32835509650.html
    i will match it with toneriders pure vintage.i have been doin this one time before with an ssl-5 but it was a miss match to the other 2 pu's cause 12k is to high for his set...so i'll have news in some days

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    That's using their higher quality fiber bobbin and cloth wire, like the DS53, and they call this the DS53-9K, so this is good. I also really like the dramatic chamfer on the pole pieces.

9k with 43 AWG would not be that hot though, that's equivalent to about 6.7K ohms with 42 AWG. Winding a Strat pickup to 9k with 42AWG is nearly impossible, due to the size, and 44 AWG would make this a low output pickup at 9k, so it has to be 43 AWG. Donlis didn't list the inductance for this pickup strangely, and I suspect that if they did, it might reveal that the pickup isn't really all that high of output. By comparison, a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 is wound to about 14k ohms with 43 AWG, and the Antiquity hot bridge 11k, so 9k is even lower than either of those. That's good news to me, I don't personally like really high output pickups.

3. funkysoul

Jul 16, 2014
    greece
    thats good news.thanks for the info.i don't like high output s.c. too.thats why i pull out the ssl-5 before.i hope it will match nicely cause before the position bridge-midle was terrible

4. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I ordered one, I want to see what the inductance is. If it's as low as I think it is, I'd use it.

5. funkysoul

Jul 16, 2014
    greece
    i'll have it due to our customs in 35 days i think.you'll maybe have news sooner

6. funkysoul

Jul 16, 2014
    greece
    well unexpected it came sooner than i thought...i wind it up and play it a bit this evening.hopefully it is in ballance with my other set vintage type 5,9k and 6k.strat quack its ok but a bit bit darker and as stand alone pick up it does not chime but its full.its not as loud as an ssl-5,and has less anoying high's and hold's overdrive rythm or lead nicely as a s.c can do.the other spec's and tec's mr antigua will tell us

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 6:09 PM

7. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    I just got my set yesterday, faster than expected for me as well. I'll post some specs later.

8. Antigua

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    The DC resistance is 9.0k... but the inductance is a low 2.4 henries. They used 43 AWG, but they didn't actually wind it any hotter than a vintage output style Strat pickup. Ironically, their "hot" set is lower output than their non-hot set. Under the covers, they look a lot like Tele neck pickups. Electrically, these are similar to 57/62's, or generic Strat sets wound to around 6k with 42 AWG.

Judging from my own experiment here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/electrical-differences-by-wire-gauge-a-practical-demonstration.729030/ I'd recon they only put about 8,500 turns of the 43 AWG, which must be pretty close to the 42 AWG wind count of the DS-53 set. I have a strong suspicion that they're under the impression that using smaller wire and achieving a higher DC resistance makes for a hotter pickup, because on their web page they mention DC resistance in the product description, but they've omitted inductance, even though they had included inductance values for other pickups they make or sell. Of course, DC resistance doesn't make a pickup "hot", the inductance does.

Though this is not a good thing in general, I'm actually happy about this, I've wanted a 43 AWG low wind set for a while, without having to make it myself.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 2:00 AM