Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Do's and Don't for tweed amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SeekTone, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SeekTone

SeekTone Strat-Talker

Dec 26, 2010
    USA
    I'm awaiting a tweed amp I ordered. This will be my first tweed amp, and I've heard these amps are picky about pedals. I currently have a WET Reverb, and Fulldrive2 Mosfet.

Right now I play through a Vox AC4TV. I've noticed that when the amp is cranked, I have to tone the reverb WAY down or it gets very washy and over-saturated. The settings that work at 1/4 volume are NOT the settings that work when cranked. I assume this will fall over to the tweed as well.

My fulldrive2 I LOVE, it gives a great fat thick boost late at night when I can't overdrive the amp naturally. I assume this pedal will work nicely with the tweed as its in the tube screamer camp.

I'm mostly wondering what other types of pedals work well and don't work well with tweeds. I love the Fulltone TTE and I'm looking to acquire one so that will be my delay, but what about a compressor, an EQ, a univibe, chorus, etc.. how do these play with the tweed circuits?

Thanks..

2. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2010
    Southern Germany
    What do you mean by tweed, which amp exactly???

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Senior Stratmaster

Oct 6, 2008
    Texas
    Try diming the amp, and control your volume with the guitar. Work amp volume back to the level you need for where you are playing. If your reverb pedal doesn't work, find another. See if you can live without the overdrive pedal. That's my $.02, anyway.

4. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Jan 11, 2009
    Canada
    The beauity of a tweed is you don't need pedals.

Fatmaninthebath likes this.

5. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2008
    De'ville, Florida
    Reverb would be nice.

FWIW, Ive had good luck cleaning dirty tweed with a Mr.Clean Dry Eraser ;)

6. Adrian86

Adrian86 Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    That´s right!

Reverb is nice but some amps for example Tweeds, make you forget about it. I always played with a lot of reverb but when I got my ´57 Twin I had no choice but to play without reverb or delays. And I can tell you I never missed it.
    Back to the original question, for my taste all other effects like Chorus, Vibe, Flangers, Phasers or compressors work really well with tweed and tweed style amps.
    But of course if you use your Fulldrive II alone as your overdrive and put the reverb behind it you will be fine, although you won´t get that wonderful tweed overdrive.

7. anubis

anubis Strat-Talker

Dec 26, 2009
    east coast
    It's going to be LOUD. I have a tweed. It's way too loud for my needs. I'm fixing that by getting a Weber Mass Attenuator.

The problem with tube amps is, they need to be cranked in order to saturate the tubes in order to get that sweet sound we love.

But the minute you crank the tubes and then use a volume pedal, or turn the volume down on your guitar, you are decreasing the signal to the tubes, and thus undoing the overdrive you've just created.

Otherwise, if you just keep the volume down on the amp (say around 2 or 3 on the dial), then it will be quiet enough, but it will be too crystal clean. Like jazz-clean, and no one wants that.

If you get an attenuator, you can crank the amp, crank the volume on your guitar and then use the attenuator to turn down the volume at the speaker level without affecting the signal in and through the tubes.

That way you keep the same dirty tube sound but its played at a lower volume.

It's not meant for bedroom playing. It's meant to please the bar owner when they're asking you to turn down after every song.

If you want something quiet for bedroom playing, then get a solid state amp.

8. Adrian86

Adrian86 Strat-Talker

Dec 13, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    I can only second the recommendation for a attenuator. I´m using a Weber Mass and the result is great but definitely not for bedroom playing.

9. Frankg11

Frankg11 Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2010
    D.C./L.A./Seattle
    +1 on the Weber Mass.

I have a SuperSonic 22W with the 50W Weber Mass Speaker Driver version. It's a must to get the pre-amp and amp volume high enough to saturate the tubes.

10. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Jan 11, 2009
    Canada
    I don't need it . Each to there own :)

11. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    So what characteristic is inherent in the tweed that eliminates the need for pedals?:p

j/k of course, but are all tweed amps created equal?

12. Marco

Marco Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2010
    Seattle
    If you're going for the tweed tone reverb kinda gets lost in the sonic goo. Try a nice delay pedal with it. I really like the Hardwire one.

13. Dagan8

Dagan8 Strat-Talker

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    This is a good question. Some tweed amps like the Bassman take pedals very well.

Also some new tweed amps are not really "tweed" amps. Just covered in tweed.

Ebidis likes this.

14. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    the tone is in the tweed....hahahahhaha

15. chevalij

chevalij Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2008
    Guelph, Ontario
    Best tone I ever had was a strat and a 5E3 I built. Honestly sounded like those albums you want to sound like..:) does that make sense?

16. el Reclusa

el Reclusa Strat-Talk Member

Dec 12, 2010
    KC MO
    If you have to have reverb (and I understand that need!) you might talk to Lil Dawg about getting a "tweed" with reverb built in. It's not a stock feature, but they've done reverb units and an 18W Marshall-style amp with reverb before and could probably accommodate that request for you. I don't own one of their amps- yet- but lots of fellas on the TDPRI seem to love 'em, the clips I've heard were really good, and you get an amp tailored to what YOU want for a very reasonable amount of coin. I think I'm gonna try one myself, just trying to decide what would best do the trick for me.

Also, just to sorta second the "what Tweed?" responses, which tweed amp does make a difference. A tweed Champ and a tweed Twin are very different amps! You might also look into Gibson amps of the era. I have two "tweed" Gibbies that are along the lines of period Fenders, but unique unto themselves. Gibson made a wider variety of amps around that time as well, many with different tube choices than Fenders (quite a few EL84 amps and whatnots), so you may find something in one of their amps that fills a niche that works for you.

17. Mylo

Mylo New Member!

Dec 23, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    I have a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and a 5F10 Harvard. Both are modern builds. The 5E3 has a lot of tone. Plain and simple, it seems to require no pedals. However, I play some stuff that requires pedals. When I plug my pedal board into the 5E3 it doesn't sound that great. It is very hard to get it dialed in, and then it just sounds ok. But when I plug the pedal board into the 5F10 Harvard it sounds great. So in my experience on the "it takes pedals well" issue, I find a huge difference between the two amps, i.e. the Harvard takes pedals well, but the Tweed doesn't so much.

tery likes this.

18. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida

19. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Dental Floss farmer Strat-Talk Supporter

Ebidis and heltershelton like this.

20. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Dental Floss farmer Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey Mylo, welcome to the forum :D. We would love to hear about and see pics of you tweeds, and hear them also. If you would like to start a thread and tell us all about them, and let the zombies sleep;):thumb:.