Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dr. Z amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by gjohnson441496, Nov 14, 2017.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2017
    TN

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    A local shop here has them occasionally. I've played a few, though not for very long.

They sounded good, but not good enough to justify their price. Not for me at least.

garyhoos1 and nuculer terrist like this.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    yeah those things are expensive.

4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    My buddy let me borrow his Maz 18 head while he was deployed. Had a hard time giving that back to him. Not a high gain amp at all but had a decent crunch and took pedals well.

David Garner and TheDuck like this.

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    They are very nice amps. That is an old article (2012) but they still make great amps with awesome crunch and cleans. Billy Gibbons, Brad Paisley, Ry Cooder and Warren Haynes have/do use Dr Z amps to name a few.

Sort of. They can be had used for between $1,100-$1,500 usually. A Carmen Ghia 2x10 combo is $1,500 new so while yes that's a decent amount of coin to spend on an amp if it's a keeper then you really haven't spent that much over 10,20,30 years of having the amp.

Perfect description.

circles and heltershelton like this.

6. GuitArcher

GuitArcher Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Fantastic amps. I've owned a Maz 38 and currently have a Maz 8. Worth every penny if you ask me.

Stratoskater likes this.

7. gjohnson441496

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    There’s one on consignment in a local shop for $800. I have a Vox Night Train combo with a 12 inch greenback speaker and i like it. But I also like the idea of playing chords that crunch but with all the strings ringing out, which according to what I’ve read so far, the Dr. Z can do. Thanks all for the responses.

8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    They are made in a small factory that only makes a few high end quality guitars and amps.

I can not recall the guitar brand, but they also make Tone King amps there and those IMO are a true 1 punch knockout product.

Never tried a DR.Z but they get the nod from everyone who has.

Stratoskater likes this.

9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    The Night Train is the most under-rated amp I've found.

gjohnson441496 likes this.

10. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    The unique and varied designs and the overall quality, make Dr. Z's one of the finest boutique amps at lower prices than other boutique amps that don't have the variety or Mike Zaite's talent behind them.

I lucked out looking at CL a year ago and picked up a 2001 MAZ Jr, reverb, 2x10, with BrakeLite attenuator, cooling fan, Beam Blockers, and Tuki cover for $1400. Amazing amp in the quality of the tone and the versatility. I had never used an amp with a CUT control before - I was pleasantly surprised. At 9:00 it sounds Fender to me; at 3:00 it sounds Vox.

It belonged to the music department of a local church and had been used only for recording or worship. It was factory serviced a year prior. Beautiful condition - I feel like I stole it.

It's a little hefty, so I got a solid pine cabinet thinking I could save 10 pounds, only saved 7.
    DSCN1142.JPG DSCN1140.JPG

TheDuck and Stratoskater like this.

11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Very nice! I’m looking at a Z perhaps for my next amp.

12. Graybeard65

Graybeard65 Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    Rochester, MN
    DD32E87B-99B9-4A3A-B4CE-6B25B0781EE1.jpeg I’ve owned and gigged Z amps since 2007 - mostly the Maz 18 Jr, but a Ghia and a Monza too.

Along the way, a couple of fenders, a few Marshall’s, a matchless, and the occasional odd combo - I’ve played a bunch of them, and without fail, come back to the Z. The Maz 18 is exactly right for what I do and what I like - it’s the sound that I hear in my head.

Rock solid - great customer service too. I recently had the factory refresh/update, and they took great care of me.

I’ve usually managed to buy them under $1000 (always used) and have more than gotten my money’s worth.

13. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Maz 18 2x10 is one of the nicest amps I’ve ever played.

14. gjohnson441496

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    It’s a relief to see all the positive reviews. I went to the music store to try it out and was amazed at how many tones I got out of it simply by turning knobs in various configurations. There was one problem though. The volume knob was silent between 0 - 3. It kicked in after that. I told the tech. He examined it and told me it’ll be repaired in a couple of days (possibly a bad pot)? I’ll go back Friday with my guitar to hear the results.

15. Nasser

Nasser Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2015
    Amman, Jordan
    I have one of the very fist MAZ 18 Jr's made. Got it back in '98 directly form the good Doctor himself, and it's performed reliably and admirably over the years. Probably one of the most articulate and expressive amps I've ever played. It's like a cross between a Vox with its class A British chime and a Fender Deluxe... but you can also coax some Plexi-like tones out of this little bad ass with the right pedals. Speaking of which, it takes pedals very well, making it an incredibly versatile amp.

A real workhorse - highly recommended.

16. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

The price in the UK is a lot lot more than in The US and availability is, they are about.?