Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Driverless cars: Who should die in a crash?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Strongly disagree with both your assertion, and your proposed penalty. This comment is far beneath your.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  2. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Not yet. Stats on driverless cars in a wide range of environments is still comparatively thin. We’ll see.

I’m more concerned on freedom of movement after your required to get in a car and ask the network to allow you to go somewhere,.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Resistance is futile. Negotiations are irrelevant.

JustABluesGuy and Ebidis like this.
  4. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The farther an auto car drifts from straight, open freeway in light traffic in broad daylight and no rain or snow, the less likely I am willing to trust them.

Yet one day, one will pull up front to take me somewhere. Will I get in? I may have no choice. An ambulance perhaps? It may be inevitable.

666.png

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Completely disagreed. Sensors on cars are largely responsible for the huge increases in reliability, fuel economy, and safety compared with 30 or 40 years ago. Sensors do occasionally fail as everything does, but to imply that the data systems in cars are so failure-prone as to have no or even negative benefit just doesn’t hold up.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    beneath my what? :)

my attempt at comedy will probably upset a few more than a few, but I stand by my opinion.

I come from a place where I am required to be responsible for my actions. Except for acts of god, someone is at fault when stuff goes bad.

the definition of an accident is something that happened because someone screwed up.

so i will never allow myself to be in a situation that I could have some control over and decided to give all control away to take a risk i do not have to take.

I like you and your reasoning, you have swayed me and out debated me in the past, but this is just after primal for me and it is not negotiable.

taking a risk you do not have to take is not a good bet. This is why I will not try to pet the tiger everyone else wants to adopt.

7. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I really dig the idea of a bank robber jumping into a driverless getaway car:rolleyes:

s5tuart likes this.
  8. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

drivers arent the problem. cars are. driverless or not the world would be better without them. that's not an opinion. that's a conclusion arrived at after consulting more than those who drive. (ie raccoons, aquatic invertebrates, skunks, opossums, all manner of hawks, deer, herons, thrushes, box turtles, gulls of every species, etc.) (i'm surprised i have cell service inside this automatic car wash!)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    They need to be programmed to avoid running over an original pre-CBS Strat and instead trashing a reliced repro if both are lying in the road.

Should be straightforward as relics never look right:D.

s5tuart likes this.
  10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I do not find the the the "deserves to die" in any way comedic. Respect for human life is primal for me and is not negotiable.

11. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

why you dirty rotten virtue signa... oh wait is this the hipsters are _____ thread?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I still laugh at the fact they call us engineers. I never built a bridge in my life.

knh555 likes this.
  13. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    most cars are driverless these days, regardless of the moron sitting behind the wheel

14. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    There, fixed it.

15. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Autonomous vehicles have been around in factories and on closed courses for years. I have ridden in a Tesla in autonomous mode on a private road in Placer county and was impressed beyond all expectation. Now that they have reduced prices, I may buy one, not for the AD mode but I wouldn't mind it for long drives home from a late night gig. Having driven commercial vehicles for twenty plus years, accident free, I never cease to be amazed at the dearth of driving skills exhibited on the highways, roads and streets. Over the course of one million miles, I'll take the AD to have many fewer accidents of any kind over humans. When driving big trucks hauling hazardous waste, I pondered the various scenarios in which I might have to choose the least awful option. Glad I never had to make such a choice in real life.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    s5tuart and JustABluesGuy like this.
  17. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Not sure where you all live but the thought of these vehicles navigating over or around crater size potholes and flooded roads seems insane to me .

18. roger@pennyflic

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I think driverless cars go hand in hand with no one owning a car anymore. For example, I lost my key set and had to replace the keys. Front door key from local hardware..$2.50. Car key..$750 !!
    What is the cost of owning and maintaining a car with that much fire power. Hell, I cant even find the oil filter on my car anymore

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Trains drive on rails, not the highway, or city streets.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    So you want to go back to the horse and buggy days? That's your solution?