Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Dropped Precious Off for the Re-Fret Today

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dick Blackmore, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Dropped off my 1989 Deluxe Plus for a refret today. I chose a luthier who has a really good reputation. After the guys examined and played my guitar the luthier came and spoke to me about fretwire and a few other adjustments. Here's the rundown.

They're going to lower the nut and bring it forward towards the body. I've always had issues with the high e buzzing at the nut like a freakin sitar, the guy explained to me the limitations of the Wilkinson nut ( I am painfully aware I bought this guitar new in 1989) and also noted that the gap from nut to fretboard was too large. There was a decent gap there I'd estimate at something like 3-4 mm. I don't know much about the nut or adjusting it. Felt like he knew what he was talking about. I've complained about this damn nut many times to various people over the years nobody has ever fixed it.

They all thought the action could go down. I laughed at that because I thought it was lowish around 1.7mm-2mm but who doesnt love lower action?

My floating trem could be set a little better, apparently I had it sitting higher than it could be.

Frets are not worth leveling. I already knew that and have been puting off having the re-fret done, we chose the 6105 wire because I wanted to keep the guitar close to originalish. I think the original frets were 6130 so these will definitely be taller but not as big as the 6100's on my ESP.

This is the third guy I have had look at it. 350$ 3 weeks max. I live in San Diego and I took estimates from other shops, but one of the shops would not do a full refret and I know it needs it. I chose this guy on a recommendation from somebody here on Strat Talk and several local musicians I know (yes I am a local musican but I am a transplant and I usually do my own setups).

I will post pictures when I get her back.

mshivy and Rastus like this.

2. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Hope it turns out great and you get it back sooner than 3 weeks.

Rastus and Dick Blackmore like this.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Dick,
    Did you decide to go for stainless frets? They are definitely worth the possible extra $$ so that you never have to re-fret again. The other benefit is how long they hold a polish and remain silky smooth. Some will clam a change in tone of the guitar, but it's really just possibly "crisper" attack when picking.
    Just Askin'
    Gene

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    As a retired repair tech in Sacramento, that price seems right and the guy sounds like he knows his stuff. Good luck and pics of the results.

5. td148

td148 Strat-Talker

Aug 4, 2009
    Central TX
    Is that at Top Gear? Dan and the guys are awesome there.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    A good refret is one of the best things there is IMO, hope it comes home soon and is awesome.

7. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    That is about what I paid. Glad you found a tech you like.

8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Alright. The guy just called me. Nut is fixed. Frets are done. Got another hour of work before I can go pick her up. Pictures at 7. I am super excited.

duzie likes this.

9. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.