Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

DS-1 Modding

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by WetSand, Dec 21, 2011.

1. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

I've found lots of information on modding the DS-1, but I have no modding or electronics experience. I was thinking about doing the Indyguitarist Vintage Mod, but I might go even simpler and just look for some way to make the tone control more responsive and useable in all positions.

Or cut back on noise...mine has recently started making a crazy buzz in higher gain settings, though it's bearable since I typically work around 2-3 o'clock.

Any input on fixing the tone control, the Vintage mod, or other ideas?

(Btw, I posted something like this in the Effects forum before I noticed the DIY...and the edit option disappeared so I can't delete it.)

2. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Ok I'm thinking:
    R16 to 4.7k (Mid Boost)
    C10 to .022uf (Roll of some highs)
    D5 to Green LED (More uncompressed, tubey distortion)

I've heard these work. Thoughts? Should I roll of some more with a .033 in C10?

3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

hey, man
    There is a guy named Monte Allums, who mods Boss pedals..Like you can send it to him, and he has several diff. mods for each of them :) .

Might be worth emailing him via his website to ask how you'd send it to him? Just a thought since it's a bit tricky to do stuff to pedals if you don't know how to solder? I can't either :( .

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. inkedintville

inkedintville Senior Stratmaster

Monte has some good stuff. I've used a couple of his kits. Detail instructions if you like to read them thangs. I just like to see which component goes where and go at it.

6. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

I've heard monte's DS-1 mods and haven't been thrilled with them.
    I'm looking back at Brian Wampler's Vintage mod again, though maybe replacing C10 with a .022 if there's still too much treble.

7. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Ahh, I didn't know Wampler modded pedals too, man. I just knew Monte and Robert Keeley did :oops: .

But also that Keeley's prices were really high in some cases?

8. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Wampler mods tend to be DIY, but he's a great guy and helpful to everyone, so maybe he'd do it for you. Email him and find out; i've heard he always responds very quickly.

9. Paying My Dues

Paying My Dues Strat-Talk Member

Here are a bunch of DS-1 mods from the Wampler book. They all sound better than the original pedal. I like the tube emulator mod. You can get a good improvement just by changing D4 to a red LED.

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Boss ds-1—evil distortion
    mod Location Mod value
    D4 Led
    D5 Led
    C3 .068uf
    C10 .047 uf
    C12 .047uf

Boss ds-1 mod acid blues
    Location Mod value
    C12 .047 uf
    C10 .1uf
    R14 6.8k
    D4 LED
    D5 1n4001

Boss ds-1 mod-classic rock
    Location Mod value
    D4 led
    R14 10k
    C12 .047uf
    C10 .1uf

Boss ds-1 mod tube emulator
    Location Mod value
    C2 1 uf
    C3 .1 uf
    C12 .047 uf
    D4 LED
    D5 1n4001
    R14 10k

Boss ds-1 “mod 2”
    Location Mod value
    D5 Led
    D4 Led
    C2 1 uf
    R14 10k
    R16 2.2k
    R13 2.2k

Boss ds-1—Vintage
    Mod Location Mod value
    D5 Led
    C3 .033uf
    R16 1k resistor
    C11 .01uf
    C1, C5 .1uf

10. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Thanks! I'm sure you haven't tried every one of them, but which do you think is the most like an overdriven tube. The Tube Emulator has got the name of course...

But thank you very much, I've been looking for some of these!

11. KREB

KREB New Member!

Wet sand
    I've done a few DS-1 mods (Keeley SEM, diode swaps, transistor swaps ect..)and they all sound good in one way or another. Having said that, I am afraid our good buddy the DS-1 will never sound like an overdrive. However the best mod I have done to make a post 1994 DS-1 sound like a great DS-1 is the Brett Miller DS-1 "MIJ" mod. The mod consists of replacing C7 a 100pf ceramic cap to a 250pf ceramic cap/ C8 from .47uf 50v electrolytic cap to 1uf 50v cap/ C5 from .068uf film to the .47uf electrolytic you pulled from the last step/ for the fourth and final step remove the diodes and replace them with any diode type that has around .9-1V forward voltage like a 1N4150 in my case I used 2 red T1 led's. Anyway there are a lot of ways you can go with the DS-1. The MIJ mod is the best I've found no fizzy distortion sounds just a nice round distortion tone that is very versatile. Good luck.

12. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Well I'm thinking either tube emulator or vintage mod still, anybody know which is smoother?
    Yeah, it's taking forever for me to actually get around to modding lol, I was on vacation though.

13. KREB

KREB New Member!

Try one. If you don't like the mod undo it and try another. I have a DS-1 that was my mod pedal for a long time, and another one I left alone until I found the sound I liked. I guess my point is the DS-1 can be had cheap so don't be afraid to cut your teeth on it or experiment. Just my 2 cents.

14. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Alright, well I've decided to do the Vintage mod. The tube emulator sounds great but I think the vintage is what I'm really after. I'll order soon and let you know how it goes.

15. PicknGrin86

PicknGrin86 Strat-O-Master

I just put an overdrive before mine and it smooths right up

16. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Sadly, I don't have an overdrive. I put my money towards my guitar...

17. Paying My Dues

Paying My Dues Strat-Talk Member

I have done the acid blues, the classic, the vintage, the tube emulator, and the Keeley all seeing eye/ultra mod. I like the tube emulator and the Keeley best. As Kreb said they can be found cheap ($20) on CL so whenever I see one I pick it up and mod it. After reading this thread I want to get another one to try the Brett Miller MIJ mod.

18. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Monte Allums, Keeley Seeing Eye, Analog Man... They're all great. What I love about these pedals is they don't cost much and there's tons of mod options which are fairly simple to do yourself. Kits don't cost much, and heck, if you're not DIY inclined, you can buy a pre-modded DS-1 from any of the aforementioned solder-happy tinkerers. I've got an early 80's MIJ DS-1 though, and that one stays stock, I would change a thing on it, sounds perfect as is.

19. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Can you tell me about the difference between the tube emulator and vintage mods? The tube emulator doesn't have a long sound clip so I can't hear as much of what it's capable of as the vintage.

Basically, I like Fender overdriven sounds more than Marshall, but I do want access to higher gain. Which is best for that preference? From sound clips seems like vintage but you never know.

20. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

Where are you guys hearing these sound clips? Would you please post a link? I love my DS-1, but I am not above destroying it in the name of progress....

21. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Well you can search youtube for modded DS-1s, but Wampler own sound clips are here:
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/ds1-vintage-605.mp3
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/ds1-tubeemu.mp3
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/ds1-classicrock.mp3
    THose are the three I've checked out. If you want to here others(acid blues, evil, etc.) try substituting their names in the url. Wampler's mods sound best to me, plus he has a lot. But there are other options, Keeley, Monte Allums, Analogman, and some others.