Join Strat-Talk Today

Dumbest amp you ever purchased

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by stratocarlster, May 7, 2016.

1. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As a companion to the current 'dumbest guitar purchase' thread, let's talk stupid amp purchases.

OK it was the mid-'80s, I had just rolled into Sydney with guitar in hand and needed an amp in a hurry. Saw one that was reasonably priced, and it had a Fender logo on it, so without much further thought I became the proud owner of a Fender Super Twin.

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before the reality hit home -- it was ridiculously heavy, stupidly loud and totally incapable of achieving the crunchy tone I was after. Needless to say I didn't own it for very long.

2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Every amp I ever purchased from the mid 80's until 2005 was the worst amp I ever bought.

A Gorilla, used Peavy SS amps, Line 6 early stuff, a Crate that did not even make a good crate when gutted of the electronics and turned into a crate.

Oh man did I tried to make chicken salad out of chicken poop for a long time.

Jazzant85, Yaralag, Mr BC and 6 others like this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought a Little H|H combo I didn't really need, which was just as well. I can't remember the model, but with a 10-inch speaker and a wooden casing, it looked a bit like a miniature Mesa Boogie. The only way it sounded any good was with an overdrive on the front end, which blew a component inside the amp every couple of weeks. Fortunately, the store manager was me, so I didn't have to hassle too hard for a refund. :sneaky:

4. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

a modeling amp which shall remain nameless

I spent hours tweaking it trying to get the sound I was looking for when I should have been practicing, finally woke up and bought an amp that had that sound naturally-now the only amp controls I use are on/off and standby and I spend my time with the guitar

5. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

it was about 2008 or so....bought a ss line 6 combo amp. i was glad to give it away.

stevierayfan91 and ocean like this.
  6. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Smallest SS line 6 was not pleased with at all..

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  7. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Peavey Revolution 1x12 in about year 2000-1

8. Reverb

Reverb Strat-Talker

The OP has it right, except that it was probably relatively cheap.

I'm surprised to see so much regret over small amps.

The truth is that the dumbest purchase is a $1k-$2k amp that lives in the corner of the bedroom, weighs 40lbs and never gets cranked passed 3.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  9. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

All of my amps are kind of dumb. They just passively sit there, waiting for me to turn them on. And, turn the knobs. :cool:

Worst amp I've ever bought though was probably a Peavey Pacer back in '77.

[​IMG]

10. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

Pignose 40 watt tube amp. Real pigs would have been less noisy.

stratman in va and jaybones like this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not sure if this qualifies as I picked it up partly for the project aspect of it also, but the Lafayette I restored sounds like it has blanket over it. I love the bias-wiggle tremolo, but aside from that it just sounds dull compared to my Two-Tone and HRD.

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  12. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

A Redmere Soloist! Not heard of it? There's a reason. Probably the first ever modelling amp. It even came in it's own flightcase
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Me and a certain Mr D. Gilmour bought one at the same time. He's probably still got his!

It's rumoured they sold less than 10...

13. Reverb

Reverb Strat-Talker

O_O
    It looks like you may need the pilot's license as well as the flightcase to operate it.

There has to be a museum somewhere that really wants one of these. Not sure if it is the dumbest or the best amp purchase.

s5tuart likes this.
  14. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

I have no idea why I bought one too at the same time. It really was bland and had missed the mark on tone.

fezz parka likes this.
  15. drewflax

drewflax Strat-O-Master

Not surprised to see all the Peavey amps. I'll add another one to the thread. Like the naive kid that I was I traded in my Rivera era Super Champ that I got new for a damn Peavey Renown because a friend got one and it was bigger and louder. Fuuuuu.

I do really like the Peavey Delta Blues that have now, though.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  16. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

I liked other Peavey amps - just not that Pacer.

fezz parka likes this.
  17. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Yeppers. It was ugly for my first 20 years.

Those pastel colored knobs like 80's Peavey's Auditions were a warning sign. I had one.

My 90's Crate 60 was bullet proof and loud... but the drive channel was a noise channel.

90's MIN Fender Frontman 25R had a decent clean and was loud but shared the Crate issue.

Muiscman tube amp. HD something I think. People swore by them. I swore at it.

Many others.

I do think Line6 can be credited with giving a wakeup call to the amp community. The new century and new technology has vastly improved in both tube and solidstate offerings.

18. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Blues Jr. Most overrated amp to my ears. Spent so many hours modding it, swapping speakers, that was just as stupid as buying it in the first place!

The kicker is I initially saw a mint used peavey classic 30 combo for $350. My buddy told me to buy it, you don't see them for that price and that condition. All he used was Peavey for gigging. Should have listened to him!

19. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I also bought that "Nameless Modeling Amp" - I never could figure out how to work it . The instruction book was an inch thick and written by a physics professor . Every time I changed something all the lights started blinking ? ? ? I was thankful for GC's return policy .

20. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine was a Randall ss state 100 watt head in the 80s. I don't remember the model, but I basicly gave away a silverface twin right before I bought it. I don't even remember what happened to the Randall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.