Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

dummy coil?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by cappei, Nov 7, 2018.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    So a friend of mine has this music man cutlass ... dead quiet for a SSS "strat". Didn't knew they had a noisless sistem, or actually a silent circuit.
    Went on line to see if they sell it aftermarket, cus looks really small but I could not find anything. I did find bout dummy coils, wich is what the silent circuit does.
    Since im kind of an douche, I can't stand the fact that fancy guitars beat the hand wiring stuff I do , so I needed to find a solution to this.

I recently got me neodymium entwistle pups that are lovely but a lil' noissy, so was thinking in tryin' the dummy coil. I've found some vids on youtube but I wanted to ask here to.

Does somebody has wiring diagrams for dummy coils?
    Has anybody tried this? I was thinking in usin' a high output pup, dual blade (hot rail), alnico V bar magnet, to use as a dummy coil (to have a powerfull coil, you see). I've read people just use squier ceramic pups.

any insight on this?

If nobody has done it or seen it, or heard bout it, im willing to do the experiment and get back to y'all with the results.

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Does this help?

I still had the link stored away, so it might just have popped up when you first googled the issue and you've already read it. If so, I'm sorry!

cappei likes this.
  3. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    actually it does, a lot. I'll have to experiment later on

4. kingdoublecut

kingdoublecut Strat-Talk Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Cape Coral, FL
  5. kingdoublecut

Jan 28, 2018
    Cape Coral, FL
    TangerineDog found the same site.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Have you tried shielding your guitar electronics? I would start there FIRST. You might be surprised at how effective shielding can be.

cappei likes this.
  7. kingdoublecut

Jan 28, 2018
    Cape Coral, FL
    Just found out Rob DiStefano of Cavalier Pickups is a member here. You can invite him to your thread maybe... Or perhaps my thread...

cappei likes this.
  8. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017

just got me a 5.5 mt of auto adhesive cooper tape, waiting for a treble bleed and two new pots of 250 each to try (I got a HSS with master tone and vol, Im usin 500 in vol and 250 in tone, but gonna try vol and tone in 250)

Ill take the chance to shield the guitar.

9. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I shielded my recent partscaster build with copper tape and dang if that guitar isn't virtually 'dead quiet' in my music room. I was a bit surprised at how effective the shielding worked. All of my other Strats make a fair bit of noise (when not in position 2 or 4) when in that room.

10. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    i was even thinking to put 2 dummy coils, one for neck, one for middle.

I was thinking to conect one lead of the coil to the hot of the neck pup, the other lead of the coil to the switch, while the ground of the neck pup will go normally to the vol. I think this is called lineal wiring?
    the do this to the middle, so i can skip this stuff in the bridge that is a humb.

that and the shiel should fix it, im guessin ...

fork musicman an their fancy silent stuff :cool:

11. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    My 'inner scientist' tells me to change only one thing at a time. i.e. do the shielding first and then asses the E field sensitivity. Is this guitar being used in a HIGH E field environment................. club/hall with bad fluorescent lighting?

12. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    I guess so, I've only played cheap, lower than lower, crappy bars in my life.

But I guess it goes from my room to concert halls (I got a comming presentation on a University theatre) with all the bad bars in between

johnnymg likes this.