Join Strat-Talk Today

dummy coil

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by cappei, Apr 15, 2019.

1. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

So I changed fro HSS to SSS on my pacifica 112J, and installed a dummy coil, wich has actually removed the hum from position 1 and 5. The problem is that position 4 and 2 are a tad humming and the middle position is huming normally, I think it's even humming louder than before.

I tought that the inverse polarity thing was not goin' to be an issue, but it seems to be. I've installed the dummy coil from the pick up switch to the vol pot.

Has anybody done this? I saw some vids, and in those vids, the people put the coil between the pickup switch and the vol pot as well, but had no hum in any position. Maybe im' doin' something wrong?

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

The dummy coil as I understand it is a hum-bucking coil that is in parallel or series with each of the other pickup coils as you select them. It's supposed to be wound in the opposite direction so it cancels hum. If one of the pickups is "reverse wound" so it's now wound the same as the dummy coil, you'll get extra hum since they're not canceling.

The only way I can think of to have the dummy coil coexist with two different polarities of pickups is to have a pickup switch that reverses the dummy coil connections to keep it opposite each pickup. Even then you still have the conflict when you use two pickups with one one way and one the other that would normally be hum canceling. Your pickup switch needs to disconnect the dummy coil for that selection.

If you get a non-reverse wound middle pickup, then all can be OK again, since the dummy coil will remain opposite the pickups.

I tend to try to avoid unnecessary complication in my old age. :)

cappei likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.