Join Strat-Talk Today

Duncan silver surfer antiquity’s???

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Rich b in tempe, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

Im recreating a 55’-56’ Vintage strat replica , I heard some Duncan Antiquity’ surfer ( don’t know where the name surfer came about), they really had that Hendrix-“ wind cries Mary) Sound, the inbetween setting were very “ Sultins of Swing” Tone- wondering if any forum readers can recomend anything that might be similar, nothin agenst duncans,just don’t have the experience & thought some of U can sound off!!

2. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Seymour Duncan Surf Antiquities are one of the best Seymour Duncan sets IMHO. They used to make a Voodoo set or something like that that was very Jimi

There are a bunch of boutique winders that make Jimi pickups. Having gone way down the rabbit hole and back I have settled on German winder LeoSounds, that's where I always go now. He has Jimi sets I am sure they are magnificent. Pick a winder and go with it. If you really liked those Seymour Duncans I would just get those. They are one of my favorite pickups, I had them on a guitar I no longer own but I loved those pickups. I had the II's

Nate D likes this.
  3. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

The Antiquity II Surfer was so named because it replicates the sound of Fenders from the early 60's surf tunes (there is no 'silver' in the name). For late 60s sets, there are Hendrix sets, and Custom Shop Psychedelic sets.

4. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

My strat has the SD Antiquity II surfers and they sound great.

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

The 57/62 set works well for Hendrix or Knopfler.

6. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

To shift the thread a bit, what makes my Duncan Antiquity II SURFER STRAT pickups sound so good??? I’ve been tempted to go back & try (again) the SSL-1 & 5, A’s memory serves, they were very stratty!! But my Antiquity set is just SO GREAT!! Anyone can speak on why the strat Antiquitys Sound so right-on?????

7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, they are made the same way they were made back in the early 60s, so if you love that sound, then they are perfect.

8. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

They sound good because they are average, and average is a good sound.

9. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

I have used Seymour Duncans on 3 of 4 builds I have done (5th on the way, also Duncans) and I can't say that I've been disappointed yet.

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.