Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Earth Wire on Tremolo ?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Brett Fuzz, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I want to replace my tremolo with a better quality Gotoh setup.

On my old, el chepo tremolo, there is a yellow wire coming from a hole bored in the rear cavity (just behind the rear of the middle PUP I'd guess) and it has been crudely soldered to the upper side of that angled bracket that screws into the body that the springs attach to.

An earth wire for something I guess, but is that normal ?

Do I just re-solder it back to the new bracket the same way?

Cheers,

Paul.

2. grumpy old git

grumpy old git Strat-Talker

Feb 25, 2010
    Somerset, UK
    Yep, that'll work. If there's not a lot of difference in the quality of the claws you could just leave the old one there.

3. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

Feb 28, 2008
    Scottish Borders, UK
    Yes - it's the earth wire that earths the bridge and strings. You do need this or you'll likely get a lot of hum.

You can solder the wire onto the new tremolo claw or do as grumpy_old_git suggests and re-use the original one.

If you do solder onto the new claw bear in mind that you'll need quite a hot soldering iron as there's a lot of metal to heat up in the claw before the solder will melt. Do NOT do this on the back of your Strat or the heat may damage the finish ! It might be easier to remove the old wire (note where it connects in the control cavity first) and then do the heavy soldering to the claw away from the guitar.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

Jan 31, 2009
    Minneapolis
  6. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks guys.

The old 'claw' is a really cheap looking piece of junk. The new claw is stainless steel so will replace and re-solder the earth wire to the new one.

Cheers,

Paul :)

7. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    common misunderstanding. the earth wire is not there to earth the bridge and the strings. it is there to earth you the player. the guitar is already grounded through the output jack. the player however acts as a big antenna and adds a lot of rf interference. so the player needs to get grounded (earthed). it is necessary however.