Join Strat-Talk Today

Easy or hard?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Strat Jacket, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

Do you find it easy or hard to sing while you're playing?
    It's taken me the better part of 50 years to get to the point where I can do backing or harmony vocals along with playing (not just strumming) but I see so many young artists who handle it effortlessly and excel at it.
    Are you able to "walk and chew gum at the same time", or do you/did you find this multi-tasking difficult or impossible?

2. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

Some songs are easy but some not so much. So my take is it depends on the song

Mansonienne and Strat Jacket like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

If only it was predictable. I can turn a simple song into a train wreck at the drop of a hat these days. I used to be much better when I did it regularly. :)

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Easy to do your own stuff, harder to do others.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Easy.
    Comes naturally.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

Nothing about playing an instrument is easy, the easy thing would be to not to do it at all.

So cut yourself some slack. For me it depends on how comfortable I am with the tune. Can I carry out the chord progression without thinking about it?

It took me three whole weeks to nail Boots of Spanish Leather. Took me another three to become comfortable enough to sing it while playing the fingerpicking pattern correctly.

I still have problems remembering the whole lyrics without it in front of me, but it's a Dylan song what do you expect? It's a freaking novel of a song.

Your voice is just like your hands you use to play guitar a muscle, you have to train that muscle memory of it. Takes some training, but you'll get there.

Singing along songs you listen to helps a lot.

Omar, Mansonienne and Strat Jacket like this.
  7. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I can’t sing period .....

8. Strat Jacket

For the most part, it seems when I try to sing along, I mess up the chords or picking progessions that I can normally do in my sleep if not singing.
    But I seem to be improving as of late.

Mansonienne likes this.
  9. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I can do this for a few easy songs. It takes a lot of practice...

10. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Amplified I could break glass at 750 yards and hit an ear screetching off chord twelve decibels above a close encounter with a shoreside fog warning horn, but I can be very gentle with my strat as long as it's not plugged in:D (and nobody is listening)

Strat Jacket and Alan Crossley like this.
  11. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I can't even talk when I'm trying to play! Singing would not, in anyway or at any time, be a consideration. My concentration takes up both of my grey cells with guitar in hand.:oops:

12. Strat Jacket

Funny thing is, I can hum or whistle along with no issues whatsoever...?:thumbd:

13. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Have you tried nailing boots of Italian leather?. In my experience, most of the leather on my Italian shoes is much softer. :cool:

simoncroft likes this.
  14. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

"Hard" is the short answer, especially as I'm not a particularly strong singer anyway. Playing bass lines that don't have a lot to do with the vocal line I'm singing I find hardest of all (doubly so if that happens to be a harmony to the main vocal). Singing while strumming a few chords is a lot less demanding.

Remembering the words to any song at all if someone says "Play a song then Si" out of the blue is a killer for me. My brain just freezes!

15. Guy Named Sue

As much as I love leather boots, I cannot pull it off unfortunately. ;)

Alan Crossley likes this.
  16. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

^^^ this

Some songs I have no trouble strumming along to and singing. Others I can sing and play but mess up the strumming pattern (Ziggy Stardust). I can even (mostly) manage a couple fingerstyle songs, such as Girl From The North Country (but not at the same speed as Dylan).
    I can sing and play bass on some, but not others, and if the bass rhythm and the singing rhythm is different, forget it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Hard. Nearly impossible. Give me a 3 chord strummer/children's song on a Uke and I can wallow my way thru. Otherwise, not happening.

I can 'sing along' and pitch-match or harmonize (within reason) but can't do anything else at the same time (like breathe, blink, etc.).

HT_Gain and Strat Jacket like this.
  18. Guy Named Sue

I suggest you pick up the guitar and play along with the song on your phone /MP3 player.

There's a glitch that you need to train and that is when the chord change happens and at which verse. If you train on that aspect you stumble less, which makes the chord progression smoother and you can time it in with the singing.

Just keep playing with the song on and start singing along too. That helps me to get comfortable with a new song.

velvet_man and Mansonienne like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed. If I can remember any of the words, there's not a hope that I'll remember any of the chords, and vice versa... :)

duzie and simoncroft like this.
  20. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, you have to work specifically on the hard bits, figure out where you place your voice in terms of what your fingers are doing...how to bring the two things together...not sure that makes sense. For example, for Neil Young’s Heart of Gold, the hard part for me was aligning my voice/the words with the strumming during “...and I’m getting old”. Just practiced that bit over and over.
    One I’m stumbling on and need to practice: the chorus of Tangerine (and Ziggy...).

Guy Named Sue and Strat Jacket like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.