Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Echopark/Suhr/Nash/Fender Custom Shop who has the best new old stock?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Loth, May 15, 2018.

1. Loth

Loth Strat-Talk Member

Mar 28, 2018
    West Chicagoland
    If I wanted to buy a dream strat someday, but don't have 20,000 dollars for a 57 or 62, who do you think does the best new old stock renditions?

2. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    They all do.

Can you be more specific about "new old stock?" What are the qualities you're looking for?

3. Loth

Loth Strat-Talk Member

Mar 28, 2018
    West Chicagoland
    I've heard a lot of vintage strats that sound phenomenal. I'm really just try to lure out anyone who owns some high end models to share with everyone because i'm gassing about buying a dream strat that realistically I won't have for a few years, bare minimum. :rolleyes:

4. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    New old stock means a product that was found new in the box, but is actually from years ago and that the manufacturer doesn't sell anymore. Is that what you're referring to here?

Bodean likes this.

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah his use of NOS confused me as well. I think he is looking for a reissue of a vintage guitar though and not a NOS guitar since he said he didn't have $20K to spend.

Fuzzpop likes this.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    West Virginia
    The OP may need to help us out but I think this is correct in his application. NOS is also used to identify a finish option used by the Custom Shop. An all lacquer finish without any aging.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    Does Echopark make a Strat clone? If they do it will likely be substantially more expensive than the others you listed. You should tread carefully with them if ordering a new one too - google the name. They have had delivery and QC problems in the past.

8. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Also, to answer the OP.

I've had a Suhr Classic Pro, Nash S63 and a Fender Custom Shop NOS '60.

The Suhr was my favorite by far. It's a bit more "modern" in its appointments, but it looks and feels a lot like a classic Strat. For me it was the best playing of the three. And it kind of hid all the super charged features under the skin of a classic Strat.

The Custom Shop was a really nice guitar and had all the vintage features. It sounded and felt great, but I didn't find it to be better than my AVRI '59 so I ended up selling it.

The Nash looked really cool and felt decent. The fit and finish were good. But my understanding about Nash is that they most assembly pre-made parts and do the relicing themselves. If I remember correctly, they also use Lollar pickups. So nothing is really made in-house, if that's something that matters to you. Cool guitars, but for the price I'd go with a Suhr Classic Pro.

With all that said, you really have to go out and play them. They're all very different guitars and only you know what will suit your needs.

9. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Buy a Fender:thumb:

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX

11. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI

12. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    CS is Fender and no one makes a better Strat than Fender. What they say on the commercials "Always imitated, never surpassed" is actually quite true.
    Also, don't believe all the hype of boutique builders. They are the same as everyone else - some of their guitars are excellent, others just duds. Ask me how I know.

13. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Agreed - there is a monster thread (over 1,400 posts) on The Gear Page about Echopark - based on the content of that I would avoid them. There are plenty of other builders with excellent reputations out there.

That's my understanding of Nash as well - they get the parts made for them by one of the replacement part suppliers (I'm not sure which one, but I also think they might make them to Nash's specs) then Nash does the finish/relic-ing, assembly and set-up work.

Fuzzpop likes this.

14. RPKennedy

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    OK...I'll ask.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

15. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    I got a 3K boutique strat from a builder that is revered as the best thing after sliced bread on the gear page. Bought the guitar in February and have only played it for 3 or 4 hours. The rest of the time it spent and is still at said builder for service. I'll leave it at that. My bottom line was I am out $3K and no guitar to play. If I want to resell when I get it back from customer service, I will take a good $1K loss.
    .... and that is how I know :)

16. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    A lot of opinions in this post stated as facts. I love Fender, but some of the Suhrs, G&Ls and Xotics I've played were better in my opinion. Plus, since those companies do much smaller production runs, there's a lot more time for careful QC that Fender simply can't take on.

Again, not a shot at Fender. And these are just my views on the debate. The thing is, you gotta play what you like, regardless of brand.

Bluestrat83, RPKennedy and CephasG like this.

17. RPKennedy

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Wait. So this boutique builder has a "customer service" department? :D

CephasG and Fuzzpop like this.