Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Efx loop hum in New Bassbreaker

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stratoman10, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Just got my new Bassbreaker 15 combo on Saturday and it has a hum in the loop even if nothing hooked up. Just plug a cord in and there it is. I tried a couple different cords but it's there. This does not make me happy

2. Pete_C

Pete_C Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Even with nothing in the effects loop? I would suggest jumpering send/return jacks.

3. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    As much as I hate taking it back I guess that's the best option as long as they don't give me the " it's going to take a few weeks to look at it " b.s....

4. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Sorry if I didn´t get the question right but why put a cable into the FX if you don´t use it?
    Do you mean there´s hum if you bridge both jacks using a small patch cable?
    If nothing connected how do you know it is the loop?
    Sorry, again but I just don´t know what you mean.

All the best,
    Robin

5. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

Dec 31, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Is there a hum with a pedal plugged in?

Hmm the larger 45W Bassbreaker amps do not have an effects loop. Cool. I mean if you can get it to work properly. And onboard digital reverb how's that sound? This looks like a GREAT amp!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

6. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    Yes, I have the same question that Robins does !

7. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I am getting a hum. So I started chasing it down. I'm going from guitar to TS into front of amp. I have a golden cello in efx loop. So plugged straight into amp. No hum. Guitar to TS to amp. No hum. Guitar to cello to amp. No hum. Then back to TS with cello in loop. Hum. Swapped out cables. Hum. Then tried just cables alone but keeping the unplugged ends from touching anything else. As soon as I plugged into efx loop, hum. So think there may be a problem in that circuit somewhere

Robins likes this.

8. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

Dec 31, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I was reading a review in Musician's Friend from a user who returned his because the FX loop was defective.

9. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Thank you.
    If you putting cables into loop without connecting anything hum is normal.
    By putting a short cable(mono) one plug into FX send and the other plug into FX return and get no hum and the signal is normal(guitar sound) you can prove the FX loop is working like it should.
    You get hum by connecting the cello pedal into the loop - if you aren´t using a battery but a power supply it can be caused by that because of different reasons (different potential earth/ground -> hum loop).
    If you still getting hum for a last test try the amp at higher volume. Some loops aren´t optimised for low volume use (circuit design fault).
    Otherwise you would have to use the warranty(if it gets worse at high(er) volumes).

All the best,
    Robin

bigbasscat and jimyjazz like this.

10. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    Even stomp boxes that run off a wall wart power supply can make hum and at times I have had to modify a ground lift adapter to cure it.
    What needs to be done is to have away to plug the wart in the outlet the other way and to do such I have with the aid of hack saw cut down the width of the wide blade on the ground lift so as to let it be plugged in either way.

If it hums in the loop powered up by just a battery then the amp has a issue!

11. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I'd like a little stronger verb on the first gain stage. It gets more pronounced as you increase power though. And yes, hum with pedal. That's when I noticed it. I would have thought the bigger ones would have a loop

12. SharpestTool

SharpestTool Strat-Talk Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Australia
    I bought the Bassbreaker 15 combo last week. I was hoping to use the fx loop with hd500 (left out on pod into front of amp for crunch - right out Straight into fx return with amp emulator for clean).
    The fx loop as mentioned above has too much hum. I tested it with a short cable fx send to return and there was a faint hum, but unfortunately this hum is amplified to an unusable level when at playing volume.
    A minor issue is when the mute is engaged there is a very faint clicking noise through the speaker - in time with the flashing mute light.
    The emulated out when put into desk with decent headphones is a very thin transistor type sound when eq set flat. Nothing like what you hear from the amp through speaker. This could be helped a bit with eq but I would not be plugging it into a live pa.
    I spoke to a guitar friend he just said that is just the way fx loops are. I am not sure if I'm expecting to much from the fx loop or it should fixed under warantee. Any thoughts?

13. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 26, 2012
    Rehsa
    There's a thread over on the Fender forums where people discuss this issue, and someone has said that they spoke with Fender about it. The representative this person supposedly spoke with said that they are trying to source shielded jacks for the effects loop in order to correct it.

No idea if true or if it's an issue for all of them, just what I read.

14. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I've had 2 and returned them due to this

15. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    It is not a general FX loop problem. Some are really good (like the one in my ENGL Blackmore and that is tube driven).
    I wonder Fender said it is the jacks not being shielded.
    I searched and couldn´t find any pics showing a Bassbreaker from the inside.
    Most of the times it is a problem of not using shielded cables or just the bad placement of the loop in the chassis.
    As it looks it sits right beside the output tranformer which is most obviously the worst place for any FX loop in an amp.
    But even then there are things to get it more silent.
    The level is another problem I am pretty sure. Like in the Supersonic Fender did some strange level settings for the sent and the return. They pushed the level extremely low and had to pull it back up real high and that causes noise(hiss).
    Hum is always bad placement or bad grounding.
    Has anyone a pic for me from the insides of a Bassbreaker?
    Thanks in advance,

Robin

EDIT: OP has his amp at the amp Dr so maybe we know in a few weeks what is going on in this amps.
    http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/bassbreaker-at-the-dr.392228/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

16. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    And so the cycle repeats itself: Product announcement soon followed by GLOWING reviews from selected sources................. long wait till release............. release and inevitable customer complaints about xyz issue(s). ;)

17. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The modern version of product development. ;-)

18. SharpestTool

SharpestTool Strat-Talk Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Australia
    I took amp into music shop for them to have a look at. It seemed that when setting all eq to flat turning of bright switch and balancing volume between fx loop and front of amp the difference in noise was minimal. I did have a lot of bass rolled off and the bright switch on when testing at home because the amp is very dark and bottom heavy. I will now test at home to see if I can get the same result.

Robins likes this.

19. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, the level(fx loop) is essential to lower the noise floor.
    Fender often design the loops to have lower noise at gig volume levels so they are noisy at low levels of volume.
    Part of the badly implemented master volume which work more like a channel volume.
    An attenuator also works well but we won´t overdo it here.
    Fender should have used the MetroAmp zero loss loop or something similar :whistling: - ask Dave Friedman about that:sneaky:

All the best,
    Robin

20. Jason99

Jason99 Strat-O-Master

Mar 26, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Robins likes this.