Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Efx loop hum in New Bassbreaker

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stratoman10, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Why do I have the feeling Fender used the wrong jacks in the loop in some of the amps?
    Hot fix will be new jacks and more shielded wire.
    Let´s see what happens.
    But I guess the Fender open public field test is still running xD

All the best,
    Robin

2. flDave

flDave New Member!

Jul 2, 2016
    Boca Raton
    I have been emailing back and forth with Fender rep and he said they know about the problem and are close to a fix. This amp sounds great but i always use an FX loop. If you plug a delay into the front of an amp, you get total s*** compared to the loop. This is what i got from the fender rep about the FX hum in the bassbreaker 15 combo. If they fix it, i will buy one immediately. It's just sound so good and is the right size. Man i hope they fix it soon.

Hey David,

It hasn't been finalized just yet but I do know that they are getting very close to releasing it soon with the last I heard about it.

Cheers,

Bradley Shelton
    Fender Musical Instruments
    Consumer Relations Agent
    17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
    Scottsdale,AZ 85255

3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

You got pretty much what I got. From who I got it from. I hope they do too. It's a pretty good platform I think. And they need a footswitch for changing gain sections and level out the volume between them and it will be just about perfect

4. kaborex

kaborex New Member!

Sep 26, 2016
    uk
    Robins is Spot on ... it is a jack related issue. See email I received from Fender USA.

Michael Roberts (Fender)

Sep 23, 10:20 MST

Hello,

The problem has been all sorted out. We don't have a serial number path however. The main thing to look for is the send jack on the amp being different. The original had two metal jacks and the revised version has a plastic send jack. This is the actual jack itself so what would be different from the outside would just be the threaded collar that is visible, the nut will still be metal.

Regards-

Michael Roberts
    Sr Representative, Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct Sales

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
    17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255
    Telephone: 480-845-5134
    Fax: 480-367-5262

Robins likes this.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

Got mine fixed. Replaced it with a new Blackstar HT Club 40. No more issues.

6. kaputme

kaputme New Member!

Sep 9, 2017
    Germany
    So I was messing around the music room / far end of living room today and accidentally unplugged the return cable from my FX board which runs into the bass breaker as it was still running.. but there was no noise, no pop, no humm or buzz or hiss.. ( Just the transformed hum)

It go me thinking, so i did a few tests..

Connected my Pedal board to my JCA20HV, Clean channel sounded distorted.. ( this was last month, just for reference)
    So i reduced gain, so it was OK.. no Hum, no hiss all is good

so back to BB15, I plugged in ( Amp on, guitar connected to front with gain pedals, FX pedals to loop) everything. turned it on, Hum....
    1. Strum a chord and as i am listening to it i unplug return, no sound of guitar no hum
    2. Strum a chord and as i am listening to it i unplug Send, sound of the guitar and hum
    3. Patch cable from send --> return no hum no hiss ( plugged in up to 6 m of cable)
    4. Patch cable in send only no hum no hiss ( plugged in up to 6 m of cable)
    5. patch cable in return only no hum no hiss ( plugged in unto 6 m of cable)
    So i'll do more tests after i get something to eat.. if you know what might be happening.. i'm ready to test anything that is in my utmost possible limit.. I guess....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Post Lunch: post dinner update:--- If i unplug the input to the amp ( not the fx return) from my board.. the hum is gone.. Hummmm.. I wonder how, i wonder why...

7. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Describe your pedal board in detail, please.
    I think you have a ground loop build through your power supply from the pedal board.
    But not knowing how your pedal board is set up it is a bit of a stretch.

All the best,
    Robin

JustABluesGuy likes this.

8. kaputme

kaputme New Member!

Sep 9, 2017
    Germany

I use the Harley Benton FXL pro (JOYO PXL Live). The compressor, DOD Fuzz, TC Dark Matter and TC MOJOMojo are connected to the front of the amp, and Dreamscape, Flashback, HOF amd spark in the loop.

Signal chanin is
    Guitar in --> Patchbay --> Silencer in --> silencer send--> FXL Pro in
    Send 1 -->compressor --> return 1
    Send 2 --> DOD Fuzz --> Return 2
    Send 3--> TC Dark Matter--> Return 3
    Send 4 --> TC MOJOmojo--> Return 4
    Out loop 1 --> Silencer return--> Silencer out --> Wiretap--> Patchbay--> amp in

Amp Send --> Patchbay-->In Loop2
    Send 5 --> Dreamscape --> Return 5
    Send 6 --> Flashback --> Return 6
    Send 7 --> HOF mni --> Return 7
    Send 8 --> Spark mini --> Return 8
    Out Loop 2 --> Harley benton Looper--> Patch Bay-- Amp Return

All Good quality klotz cabels and patch cabels.

Power supply 1 is harley benton powerplant junior ( 5 isolated outlets)
    Power supply 2 is Fame DCT 200 ( 8 isolated outputs)
    Power supply 1 powers Silencer, wire tap, Mojo, Dark matter and Polytune
    Power supply 2 powers the rest including the FXL pro ..

Thats how it is set up.. can you help me get rid of the hum?

Also when I unplug the input to amp, there is no buzz

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Robins likes this.

9. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    QFT. You got it exactly right.

Robins likes this.

10. kaputme

kaputme New Member!

Sep 9, 2017
    Germany
    Any Update guys?? Is my powersupply not enough, not enough mA? or is it ground loop?

11. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    That is a real complex setup and I am afraid you have to seperate and check out each component to make sure you didn´t have a ground loop in there.
    Moving the pedals away from the power supplies would be my first step. A Wah is really sensitive to inducing hum etc.
    It could be one pedal in the end.
    My second step would be to clean each and every jack on the patch bay with Contact Cleaner (Tuner 600 from Conrad).
    A tech would find the problem faster by measuring the impedances.
    If the board really hums only when the input is connected you have a ground loop input-FX loop.

All the best,
    Robin

12. kaputme

kaputme New Member!

Sep 9, 2017
    Germany

I did everything. I guess the thing is like someone had mentioned before is the gain mismatch between send and return of FX loop on bass breaker 15s. The return pumps up the signal ( also the Master is before the fx loop) to meet the level or something, so if you happen to have a noisy pedal ( like my HB looper.. which has a hiss/white noise) its blown up fully to 15watt of tube power and that sounds BAD.

the Looper switcher on the other hand has inherently a small buzz in it, which is amplified by the return .. I solved 80% of the hum loudness by using an Eb-tech Hum Eliminator. now even at full loudness the hum is very minimal to hear on the stage.

I might end up trying what some one had mentioned on the JVM forums to use cables with ground wire cut of in the Fx loop. I have a feeling that its not a good idea. does anyone know anything more about this?

13. Robins

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The solution is pretty easy having an FX loop with master volume in front and full blown power stage right after the loop.
    Just add another master volume - issue solved.
    That can be even a volume pedal with the right pot in there or most any FX with a volume control add the output.
    That way you can use the pre FX(normal) master volume as the send control and the added master as the return control (or main master) controling the volume of the amp.
    That way you have always have the best level/noise ratio.
    If you have issues with loss of dynamics etc you can use an attenuator to control the overall volume of the amp in addition.

Besides, this is a "design" fault by Fender.

All the best,
    Robin

14. kaputme

kaputme New Member!

Sep 9, 2017
    Germany

Yeah I have an attenuator, and that helps a lot. I live in a residential area where it is really really quiet, so i hear every stupid noise.

thanks for the suggestion Robin

Robins likes this.