Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EJ strat wiring

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by usul1978, Dec 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Can anyone describe exactly how an EJ strat is wired ? I see conflicting info about that.

I would say something like neck and bridge with each a tone pot, middle open wide, 0,1 cap. Is that it ? Thank you for any direct input.

I didn't go fender but bought some D allen Pu (Dover) for my rather "dark" partscaster. (Just because of a previous good experience with the echoes set) and I want to wire it like the original.

Thank you !

2. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    That’s exactly how it’s wired up from the factory, so you’re correct.

Nick

usul1978 likes this.
  3. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    ok, thank you !

I might keep my usual blend pot instead of a double tone pot though. And maybe get something lower than 0.1

And change the picku...no, jk.

ntotoro likes this.
  4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    As ntotoro said, you've got it correct - 1pf cap, middle wide open - I actually have all my strats wired this way now - not only does it make the bridge p'up more usable, but I find the 2 and 4 positions to sound better as well.

I helped with the design of the Dovers - it should be bright enough, but you can go with a lower value cap or maybe even a higher value pot if necessary - the EJ strat was originally designed with 300K pots, but eventually reverted back to 250K.

ntotoro, Andrew Wasson and usul1978 like this.
  5. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I read your posts about this set ; ) I'll give you my feelings about them when I'll have them hooked up.

6. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    I wire all my strats this way.

usul1978 likes this.
  7. darkside7

darkside7 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Austin
    I’m about to do this wiring with install the ej p/u

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    usul1978 likes this.
  8. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    On what kind of guitar I may ask ? Probably a wood one but alder/ash, maple/rwd ?

9. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    The DAllen Dovers are a nice set of pups.
    I picked up a wired pickguard from him a couple years back with the EJ wiring and put them in my CS Jeff Beck.
    It really brought that guitar to life.

Andrew Wasson and usul1978 like this.
  10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I haven’t played an EJ Strat yet but I’ve been a huge fan of the tones Eric Johnson coaxes out of his guitars and at the moment I’m considering hunting an EJ Strat down or building a tribute Strat based on it. I have a question about that big tone cap and how it works with these pickups.

I had a .1uf tone cap in my CP60’s Strat and found that it turned the neck to mud anywhere south of about 8 on the control. How do you find it responds on these Dover’s and/or the Fender pickups?

Eventually I ended up changing mine out for a .018uf cap and that allowed me to use the tone control more with the stock pickups in the CP60’s Strat. I’ve also moved the rear tone to the bridge pickup and run the middle pickup free of the tone circuit. With the smaller cap, I can roll the tone quite far back in the bridge and get really decent tones from it.

jrbirdman likes this.
  11. darkside7

darkside7 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Austin
    alder body, maple neck. It’s a standard mim 2008 Stratocaster.

12. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I know 0.1 wouldn't work on my rig which is about 2.5% exactly like EJ's. So I really agree with you about a smaller value cap. I use 0.022 usually.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    The reason it works for EJ is that he rarely turns down the tone control on the neck unless he's doing his Wes Montgomery stuff, where a super dark tone works anyways - so for him, it isn't really an issue.
    I almost never turn down the tone on my neck pickup either (I tend to prefer a brighter neck pickup,) but in the past I've wired my strats to have separate caps on each tone control, so I could have a .1uf on the bridge and a .022 on the neck.

When I was working with David Allen I can't remember what we went with, but I'm guessing we stuck to the .1uf.
    Interesting thing about the Dover's is that they are less of a 1-to-1 copy of the Fender Eric Johnson and more designed to capture his tone with a more typical strat setup.
    If you just pick up and EJ strat it doesn't exactly capture his tone right out of the box - you also have to use semi-flatwound pure nickel strings, Jazz III picks, etc then things start to sound more like him - or at least as much as possible without his actual fingers in play.
    The Klein S-7's are a little closer to the actual EJ set, but still not exactly the same.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. jpmist

jpmist Strat-Talker

Mar 26, 2010
    Decatur

Here's the Service diagram for ya . . .

https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/011-7702A_SISD.pdf

vid1900 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks. That makes sense and that's a helpful bit of info about the Dover's designed to capture his tone with a more typical strat setup. It'll be interesting to see what @usul1978 thinks about them in his standard mim Strat.

I'm a big fan of getting a good guitar and then fine tuning it to make it perfect. My CP60's strat was one that I almost left alone but after almost a year, I felt it need the tone control on the bridge and a smaller tone cap. I think a .1uf on the bridge and a .022 on the neck is a pretty good setup and probably an adjustment I'll make on mine.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Service Manual

Attached Files:

jpmist likes this.