Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EJ's Stratocaster with Electromagnets

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 10, 2017.

1. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2016
    Land of the Merlion
    Wow! This is the 1st time I heard Eric Johnson's 1st band and that Daphne Blue Strat is just soooo gorgeous! I wonder what are the specs, model & effects he's using here!

It's just amazing to hear him during his early days that he already has his signature violin-like tone just like what we are hearing in his modern day records! :cool:

Electgumbo and abnormaltoy like this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Late to the Electromagnets, you are. :D

abnormaltoy, RPKennedy and valvestate like this.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I never heard of the before now, but I like!:D

abnormaltoy and valvestate like this.

4. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2016
    Land of the Merlion
    HA HA! I know right. I'm not that OLD yet! LOL! :D

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. Dadocaster

Naw, other way around, I am old enough and lived close enough in Texas to have heard all the EJ myth stories when I was young.

6. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Hadn't heard this before. Big McLaughlin influence there, I think.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. nederemer

nederemer Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    There's a YouTube video if you search his rig rundown I think it was on premier guitar. Very particular fellow, he even has his pedals specifically spaced far apart to avoid altering his tone. Also he goes over his amp choices which I think if I remember correctly were two jtm45 marshalls and an acoustic amp. Interesting video, here's the link. P.s. it also mentions his several different guitars and their pickups.

8. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm probably in the minority but I just don't like his sound at all. The guy can play no question but It just does nothing for me.

9. Dadocaster

You should try it from thirty or forty feet in a small venue.

10. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Well, now I need to get some Electromagnets for my Strat. Where can I find some vintage correct Electromagnets?

abnormaltoy and Ebidis like this.

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    He's like the Edge with all the effects, except he can play. :eek:

12. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talk Member

Amazing, I just love Eric Johnsons strat tone. It is one of the best for sure. When was this recorded?

abnormaltoy and Dadocaster like this.

13. Norwegian Would

Norwegian Would Strat-Talk Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Bergen, Norway
    I can see not liking EJ's tone(s). He's pretty extreme with the contrasts of sounds in his music, from the dark lead tones to the almost impossibly glassy and echoey cleans. His lead tone isn't particularly Strat-like, either, the way we normally think of it.

Me, I love it. Great clip of the Electromagnets there, amazing to think that this is at least 40 years ago and he already had so much of his signature style and sound down.

14. Dadocaster

Again, until you have heard those tones live, you have not heard those tones.

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. Highway Star

Ha ha, you're practicing zen in a guitar concept.

if a guitar plays and no one hears it live does it make sound?

16. Dadocaster

No, no. I saw EJ maybe 8 times between 82 and 92. Tones did not really sound like him, Ah Via Musicom did a better job. Seeing him in a 3G show with Satriani and Vai did not really do it. In a theater size or club size venue, EJ's tones rattled your brain. :D

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    No thanks, I can't even sit through an entire EJ song on YouTube. His music is awful. Maybe he would sound better if he changed the colour of the 12th fret dots.

Vjerilood and abnormaltoy like this.

18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

And he's not on Fender's Board of Directors...Edge is!

Paperback Rocker likes this.

19. Highway Star

In my opinion Eric Johnson got an amazing tone and a lot of maple neck strat into it. It's very personal and a part of his style. His style is like a polished version of John McLaughlin :D. If you like something that is personal it becomes much more interesting than all the buch of (in this case) strat players that sound exactly the same and have the same tone that everybody is used to hear from a strat. Musicians like SRV, Blackmore, John McLaughlin, John Scofield, John Coltrane etc. really have their own sound. Peaople might be sceptical to that at first but when you really start to like it its better that everything else that you ever heard :).

A lot of people thought SRV sounded awful before he became famous. Today he is the baseline for strat blues players.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

20. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Senior Stratmaster

Nov 7, 2013
    Portland
    I think what most people underestimate about EJ is is AWESOME pants. This video and many others like it show that EJ's pants are without a doubt the best pants ever worn by any "guitar hero". His pants really convey how magical and creative EJ is and he continually strives to bring to the forefront new and exciting pants.

I have a few pairs of EJs pants, one pair he signed for me after a show in Eugene Oregon circa '94 and proudly display them in my living room.

I have known Eric for years and we have had many conversations about his pants and discussed who has the best pants in the biz.

~JH

TorontoMapleStrat likes this.