Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EJ's Stratocaster with Electromagnets

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talk Member

Sorry, just pressed the wrong button :D:D:D

2. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    I see him just like Vai and Satriani. They can play like few others but what they are playing just has no soul.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You have been fooled. It's actually the Beatle boots.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

4. Dadocaster

It's nice that you drop in on so many threads with the sole aim of making sure we all know what you don't care for.

5. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    No, I have commented in this thread that I don't care for EJ and mainly in response to your comments on my posts. The purpose of a a forum is discussion. If our opinions are different I'm sorry. We obviously have different opinions here.

6. Norwegian Would

Norwegian Would Strat-Talk Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Bergen, Norway
    I see people make statements like this, but I always find it odd. What does it mean to have "soul"? It seems like a somewhat lazy way of saying "these technically skilled musicians don't move me with their playing".

It's fairly obvious that Vai, Satch, and EJ, incredibly different as they indeed are, are all extremely passionate players who play the way they play to convey a message of both music and emotion. Their fans respond by being moved, and that's why they keep coming back to their shows, listening to the albums, try to learn how to play that way, etc.

"Meh, no soul"

A little harsh, no?

7. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Aug 20, 2016
    Land of the Merlion
    You don't like fat violin-like singing strat tones?? LOL. Care to share what music with Strat do you listen to? :D

Very hard to cop his tones IMHO. Having a Fuzz Face will not cut it.

8. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    I always wonder what people mean by no soul. No one can seriously think EJ plays without passion and fire. But he leaves a lot of listeners flat. I suspect songwriting has a lot to do with it. These super technical guitarists tend not to be first class songwriters. But then that’s a subjective assessment too. But really, is EJ as good a songwriter as Gordon Lightfoot? Honestly, no. That’s not even to say one is better than the other. I love both. But I think this may be what underlies charges of “no soul.” No songs.

That and maybe they make it sound too easy. Soul is born of the messy warp and woof of life, the pain and the sweat as well as the highs and the joys. Life is messy, and so is soulful guitar playing. Not sloppy, messy.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

9. Dadocaster

It's emotion you want? Soul?

10. nederemer

nederemer Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    It is a little strange to show up in a thread about a particular artist to say you don't like them.

For me that would be like going to Comicon and telling people I just really wasn't into superhero stuff.

I guess I am kind of biased though because I think the tone of cliffs of dover is almighty, and it is a super technical challenge. Just the intro contains hybrid picking, string skipping, alternate or economy picking depending on how you play it, and it is ridiculously fast.

If you don't like his music surely you must at least respect it.

valvestate likes this.

11. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    EJ is and has been for years one of my favourite guitarists. I am old school, not too keen on shredders however talented they are yet EJ has soul by the truck load.
    People have different tastes and their opinions are valid. Personally if I don't like something I won't post, occasionally I may say not for me but I wouldn't go on about it.
    EJ is a great player and many artists have used his talents on their albums. Probably because he is a great player, with soul.

valvestate likes this.