Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Electgumbo... What I Do?

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by Electgumbo, May 16, 2014.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Me fumbling around on the DAngelico.. try not to laugh too much..

Omar, Stratoman10, simoncroft and 6 others like this.

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Nothing to laugh about here... some very nice jazzy lines,
    well played and with such a sweet sound.
    Like classic 'Stuff' with Eric Gale and Cornell Dupree.
    Funny, i've been on my Joe Pass model for the last day or so.
    Must be Autumn in New York, and down in Scott too. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Electgumbo likes this.

3. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Wow- Mr. Harmonic Sophistication! Hats off to you!
    Sounding DAMN good, Norm. Your jazzy playing reminds me of George Benson with some of those speedy runs in there.
    And the Albert King lick thrown in near the end works- you still bring a nice bluesy feel to a jazz piece.

Bodean, dogletnoir and Electgumbo like this.

4. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @dogletnoir
    I’m loving the new guitar. Don’t know if she loves me back yet. I’m sure she wishes some body else took her home. You got a Joe Pass Epi? Those are nice too. Jezz I don’t know about Cornell Dupree or Eric Gale but I’ll keep picking away at it...

@mshivy
    Albert King is my dumb ... trying to bend a 12’ set... which I forgot you can’t do... I got such a long row to hoe with this stuff. Tonal sophistication is a goal I am striving for but I feel I’m a along way from achieving it. I guess we b on a journey and not a destination.

You two guys (wink wink) are some of my favorite people on the forum. You’ll and the other 10 friends make up my dozen. Thank you’ll both so much for always being positive and supportive. I truly means a lot to this old dude down da bayou.

montemerrick, mshivy and dogletnoir like this.

5. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    And TY for reminding me to put the proper set of strings on the Joe Pass!
    Sounds and feels much better with these flatwound 12s now!

Electgumbo likes this.

6. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @dogletnoir

You got to string them jazz boxes up right! The flat wound 12” brought the guitar to life. Today I worked on Autumn Leaves and got a good chart for My Favorite Things... Jezz what’s wrong with me??? Gawd I even read the notes on the staff ...

montemerrick and dogletnoir like this.

7. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I made a thread about the Teese Wah and posted a clip or two. I kind of like this one. Somewhere in there the Jimi came out.... which is a good thing I guess... I don’t know it’s just me molesting my gig Strat and my pedalboard

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Wow! Really nice playing. Your ability to execute fast runs that still have soul in them is great. John McLaughlin is the master of super-fast runs, but I can't always relate to what he's doing, because the note values are so rigid. As @mshivy said, you phrase like George Benson. I've never tried to analyze it, but your feel has what I call "skipping and bouncing", or what Logic Pro and other DAWs calls "swing".

Totally right about the strings. That arch top needs a lot of down-pressure from the bridge before it starts to resonate the way it was designed to. Years ago, when I was really only interested in blues and rock, I bought a Gibson ES175, then strung it like an SG. It was the worst of all worlds! The bridge moved around like crazy. All the tone went. So I was left with a very large guitar that would feedback at every opportunity. What I should have bought was a 335.

I find it really hard to read music now, because I haven't needed to do it for about 40 years! I know how to do it 'in theory', but by the time I've decoded the next bar and translated that to my fingers, I've forgotten how the previous bars go...

That is a very Jimi sound. Reminds me of The Cry Of Love. Very nice playing too.:thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.

9. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

mindbending! oh yes!

Electgumbo likes this.

10. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @simoncroft

Hi Simon! Such nice things to say. I’m discovering the down side to a infinity adjustable wah is the desire to infinity adjust it. I was just trying to show the wah with different amounts of drive... and the more drive I added the more I got lost in it... it starts with a Lovepedals Super 6 for the almost cleanish SRVish Tone. Then it gets goosed by a JHS Klone to add dirt but trying not to destroy what you already have.. then those get turned off for the Wampler SLO pedal around the 2 minute mark. From there it’s what the hell let’s let the Vibe setting in the Möbius have at it and my little Tonerider Analog Delay for just that touch of Reverb.

I bought a 1955 ES-175 back in the 70’s and I play that old thing endlessly for hours with my Micky Baker book... wish I still had that ol’ girl.

It wasn’t until I listened back at it that I heard that Cry of Love Jimi thing... go figure. It just a IPhone on the floor in front of a barely on amp...

Simon I just saw the Master Mr. John McLaughlin last month on his final US tour. Believe me I’m nowhere even on the same planet as that guy. Few people are. I mean Allan Holdsworth and John Abercrombie passed away already. Few people if any can mess with Mr. McLaughlin.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    dogletnoir, simoncroft and CigBurn like this.

11. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @montemerrick
    Thanks Monte! If I only had a mind left to bend... I would.

12. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I’ve had file around for a while. My playing is pretty bad. But at the same time I’d never played it before or since. So even with my less then stellar performance I love the beat and the drummer was smokin’. So.. here we go...

Percy, dogletnoir, CigBurn and 2 others like this.

13. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    You're my hero man! That rocks hard!

Electgumbo likes this.

14. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @gibsonsmu

Thanks man!

15. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day

Good stuff!

Electgumbo likes this.

16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I find you a vastly more engaging guitarist than Jimmy Page, so I'm glad you posted this. Your playing is great! There's a sense of exhilaration, excitement and adventure in your playing I never felt from Led Zeppelin's original recording.

Electgumbo likes this.

17. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @simoncroft

No it’s more like I’m having so much fun with the drummer and bassist that my mind goes blank when I realize “Oh I’m supposed to play something right here... I think.” But I couldn’t remember what it was I was supposed to play. :(

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

18. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Bought another Vibe pedal so here I am making noise with it...

Bodean, simoncroft and Stormy Monday like this.

19. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Oh here is my bad recording quality take on Sneezin’.

dogletnoir and Bodean like this.

20. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Your playing always puts a big smile on my face. Isn't that the greatest gift any musician can have? There is always so much joy in your playing. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Electgumbo and Bodean like this.