Join Strat-Talk Today

Embarrassed my kid at GC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 12, 2019.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, worked out a bargain with my Son to get him a midi controller that he wanted in return for work around the house and tracking drums for me. Guitar Center is about the only place close by that has the stuff so that's where we went. The controllers are inexpensive and after we poked around I spotted a shelf full of them behind the counter in the recording/keys/midi department I stood there at the counter trying to get someone to make eye contact and no luck. Finally walked over to someone who may or may not have been actually working. He asked if I needed something and I told him "Yes, I have been waiting for a while just trying to get some help. Pretty soon I will just have to go back and climb up and get it myself." I got the stink eye for my remark. He called for help and a woman with a name tag that said "Customer Service Manager" finally came over. She apologized for my having to wait and then decided it was a good time for, on my 99 dollar purchase to "we have a service and insurance policy on this it would be 28 dollars" "No thanks." "It covers everything even replacement for 28 dollars..." "No, a 28 dollar policy on a 99 dollar unit is a bad deal," "It's a lot less expensive than replacing..." "Do you guys have a SPIF or a commission on this? I do not want it."

So she gets pissy and rings me up.

On the way out, the Kid is super pissed at me for my behavior. Sigh. Says it was embarrassing.

tedro, amstratnut, s5tuart and 11 others like this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

I've been here. Embarrass my kids every few years. Just by demanding fairness. I wouldn't sweat it.

3. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Sign of getting old. It only gets worse, eeerrrr I mean better. No...I mean worse.

Screw it.

4. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

You're his dad. It's your responsibility to embarrass him.

Good work!

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

tedro, Bowmap, rlongnt and 26 others like this.
  5. Dadocaster

The thing is, I worked in music stores a long time ago, I worked in retail and retail management and I worked answering calls from 80 people a day regarding charges on their phone bills. I feel that my grasp of how this stuff is supposed to work is pretty strong. He says I did that stuff in a different era.

The part that he is probably right about is that it does not help. I grant him that.

JB74, Groovey, JurnyWannaBe and 2 others like this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Try this on for size. I went with my child with Aspergers to Wal-Mart. There was a boy with burns on his face, and my son, not the one that's in the Army, goes up to him and points at his face and starts laughing and going "ha ha, ha ha" to the boy and his mother.

I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. I apologized to the boy and his mother and said, I'm sorry, there's something wrong with him", and took my boy and left the store. That was the worst thing that embarrassed me with him out in public. Every time we went out in the community, he would pull something.

So I would have much preferred your experience at GC. At least you can still go back there.

7. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

He’ll understand once he’s paying off the credit card. Lol

8. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In retail, there's monitoring of employees by camera or audio, and by individual employee sales.

Suggestive selling is about forced on everyone from those above. It was her job to suggest it. How she delivered or attempted to sell it is another aspect.

There must be lots of markup on an item like that before it's priced at 99 bucks?

simoncroft, 3bolt79 and duzie like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Absolutely sales people are required to suggest/upsell/additional item and whatever. My guess is that she was persistent about it because she was trying to set the example. By the second "no" it's time to lay off.

10. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You are both 100% correct.
    When I worked retail in the 80s, I would never accept the kind of performance from myself or my employees, that I see daily when shopping. EVERY customer is greeted and asked if they would like help. If the answer is "I'm just looking", the response is "OK, my name is Rich, let me know if you need anything or have any questions", followed by a quick retreat so the customer doesn't feel like they are being dogged.

The Sam Ash in City of Industry (yes, that's the name) has a good staff. They are available to help you if you need them, they acknowledge your presence in the store, but they aren't all up in your stuff like they are trying to make sure that THEY get your sale. A perfect balance.
    25% premiums for "warranties"? Ya... that's everywhere... Sam Ash, Best Buy, Guitar Center... but it's generally only when I'm buying a car that the discussion goes beyond "no thank you"

JB74, simoncroft and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Good manners/customer service does not go out of style and should always be demanded. You did the right thing no matter what your kid thinks.

12. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

at least it doesn't last forever, i guess.

13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Its OK - by the time Boyo is 100 he will have forgotten all about it .

14. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

You did tge right thing. Your lad will learn, or buy every warranty con going! Some years ago we moved and bought a whole load of white goods, washing machine, tumbler, fridge..............well, on each one I wash offered the ‘would you like an extended warranty for £x spiel?’ At the end of around half a dozen polite ‘nos’, she gave it on last shot with a bargain bundle at a small discount. I told her that, if this stuff was so unreliable that it may not last a year, I may not buy it. Furthermore, I had doubts that, if a fridge broke down after three years, there would be very little chance of it being accepted as being a result of future manufacture. Finally, I explained that if I paid for all of the warranties, it would cost more than the combined cost of replacing any two. I’d take my chances.

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Ask him if he wants to foot the insurance on it

simoncroft and tery like this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

By the time he's 40, he'll be doing the same thing :D

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

It’s worked out to a fine art. Just look at the number of warranty replacements over the last, say, year, divide the buy in price of that number of units sold. That gives you a figure in cents. Multiply the number by about 1,000 and that’s what you sell the warranty at. Cast iron massive margin, even allowing for the seller’s commission. Then, the clever bit, is to put the onus of replacing the unit 100% on the manufacturer! I once worked in the service department of a high end sewing machine manufacturer. Week on week we’d get 1/2 dozen or more machines returned from the catalogue companies. They’d been despatched to customers on the catalogues’ sale or return deals and we picked up the tab for checking them over and then selling them to shops as ‘CR’, Catalogue Return stock.

simoncroft likes this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Agreed !

Setting a good example is what real dad's do ;0)

JurnyWannaBe and simoncroft like this.
  19. Dadocaster

On the second "no" I told her "statistically, warranties on inexpensive items are a bad deal for the consumer." My son did not really like me saying that either. He said that if they asked 15 times he would just say "no, thanks" fifteen times.

simoncroft likes this.
  20. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

You should have gone to Music Passion in Limoges France!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.