Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EPI LP 100 set up issue...ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Jimi Lightning, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I managed to find a 2013 LP-100 that matched the specs of my 2014 model. :)

I have set it up,adjusted the releif,intonation etc... I am now playing ping pong from one end to tne other fighting string tattle.

I had a rattle on the first 3 frets. Adjusted the releif etc and it was awesome....but the rattle moved to the 12th fret onwards...I cant seem to find the hapoy medium as when I do the action is way to high at the 12th fret.

Now my thought is this ( experts dont laugh....:whistling:)
    It didnt do this when I got it. It had 9s or 10s on it. I put 8's on it to match my other LP.
    I think the nut is cut too deep and designed for the heavier gauge strings.

Thoughts?

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    It could be that but it could also just be that the strings are too slinky. Thinner strings move more when vibrating and are thus more likely to cause buzz issues. You'll need thicker strings or a lighter touch.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Here is the order of checks:

-Fret 3rd fret and should only be 1-2 or 3 sheets of photocopy paper gap to the first fret. If more then cut the nut slots, if less you need a new nut or fill the slots with baking soda and CA glue then recut. Cut slots so the highest side is fretboard and they angle down toward the headstock or you'll get the Sitar sound. Quite possible the previous owner upsized strings, poorly cut the nut, didn't play well, and sold it off.

-Fret 1st and last fret and check action at 12th fret which should be 3-4 sheets of photocopy paper. Adjust the truss rod to match.

-Use a 'membership card' that is smooth without raised/punched letters like old credit cards on the 12th fret, conform to the fret, and lower the saddles until the strings touch the card. Tune up. Play, raise the bridge, tune, play, repeat ... until you get out of your buzzing.

-If the action is way too high for you at this point, then either you need a neck shim to kick the neck heel up (business card strip often works) or you need to use the edge of that membership card to rock across three frets at a time all up/down the fretboard next to each string. Use a sharpie to dot the top of any high fret you rock on. If it's dotted all over then you need a fret level. If only one or two locations then a spot level (or check for a lifting fret and CA glue it down) can fix it.

-Leave the guitar with your best setup for a week and then recheck from the top of this list down.

4. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Im going to check out the heights as @jvin248 suggested and see.

I still in the mindset that the nut was cut for a heavier gauge string.
    When I got it th neck releif was insane and the bridge was cranked way high. The tuning keys "paddles" had been screwed in so tight it was hard to turn the tuners and the 3rd tuner was blown.

I have a new set of tuners to go on, fretboard has been cleaned along with the fret wires.

Wil post my results. Thanks for the info. :)

5. Nevada Bob

Nevada Bob Strat-Talker

Jan 26, 2015
    Pac NW
    I had a similar issue with an Explorer. It needs a minimum of 009-.046's or it's buzzy.

Good luck!

johnnymg likes this.
  6. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Have now tired all possible adjustment paths (less shimming)... The high and low E string height at the 12th fret once the buzz is gone is 9-12/64ths.

Im going to cut off the new 8s :( and put on a set of 9s or 10s and see. It had the heavier strings on ot originally and didn't buzz so..... Fingers crossed.

7. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Update....

Changed strings to 9s..
    Set guitar backup.

String buzz/rattle E,A,D Only 12Th fret towards bridge.

Figure its going to shop as its needs shimming and that Im not good at.....yet

8. darkside7

darkside7 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Austin
  9. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    It probably has a bit of fretboard high-register 'ski ramp' ........................ exacerbated by the LITE string set you have on it.

While it likely needs the frets fixed, you can try a set of 9-46 hybrids which would help regardless of how bad the frets are.

FWIW, I bought one of these guitars and it went right back because the frets were so poorly installed.

10. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Its my second one and no issues with the frets. My 2014 I Lp is a tuly amazing guitar and I hadnt anticipated this much greif with the 2013.This one didnt buzz when I got it but as soon as I put the lighter strings on it it started.

The Last set I put on were 9-46s....Frustrated :confused:

I did a quick check on the fret levels but really need to redo it properly.

11. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    If it's an epi, especially if it's s low end epi like yours you likely need a fret level. I've seen many with poor neck angles as well.

12. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Seems to be that or a shim job. Both are currently out of my experience.

It may be low end but Ive tried "real" Lps and Sgs searching for the neck that spoke to me (for the last3 years) and these hit the spot and I had found the non Strat I wanted.
    From another thread on these I posted earlier thisbyear, I picked up a brand new in the box LP-100 and immeadiately sent it back as it just wasnt right. These older models have something special.

Im going to take it to the shop next weekend and post the results when I get it back to close the loop.

13. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    Honestly, fret levels aren't hard at all if you go slow and pay careful attention as you progress .There must be some videos on you tube that could help you. Shimming the neck is even easier but I highly doubt it will completely fix the problem. Epis just have less attention payed to the playability of the instrument and more on catering to a certain look.thats not to say you can't improve them, you can, it just requires work.