Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Epiphone Valve Jr. Owners/Users

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by jdempler, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jdempler

jdempler Strat-Talker

Jan 11, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mine was that way with the stock tube. Once I replaced it it was great. Also could be the cabinet I'm using a 60's alnico magnet speaker.

2. BBQGuitar

BBQGuitar Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2012
    South East Texas
    Here is my epi.. with a beer.
    [​IMG]

3. td67mustang

td67mustang Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2011
    NC
    I have on driving a 4 x 10 cab and love it. Someone mentioned they did the bitmo mods, how we're they to complete?

4. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Oct 14, 2009
    Mill Valley, CA
    had my amp tech do it and he said it was a little tricky

5. stratsrgood

stratsrgood Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2009
    Hampshire UK
    I've got a buzzy old version 1 that I have always meant to mod but I cant remember the last time I even used it.
    Thanks for the reminder!!
    I do remember that it sounded better with single coils rather than humbuckers.

6. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

Apr 15, 2011
    Georgia
    From what I've read on these (which, incidentally, is quite a lot), most of the amp hum comes from AC heaters. Some mods use a solid state rectifier after the low voltage heater tap from the transformer to quiet it down.

7. VINVIN57

VINVIN57 Strat-Talker

Nov 14, 2011
    DETROIT
    Epiphone valve junior

Hey guys, I own the big brother,the Valve Senior. One of the posts asked if the preamp tube was swapped out. Could someone suggest which tube I need to do this. I'm no expert and there is not any issues with the sound , it just sounded like it is a good upgrade from stock for these amps. THANX

8. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    The small tubes marked 12AX7 are your preamp tubes. I'd suggest replacing all three with these.....
    Tung-Sol 12AX7 New Production Preamp Vacuum Tube

and the power tubes with these..

Tung-Sol 6V6GT New Production Power Vacuum Tube

9. Turbodog384

Turbodog384 Strat-Talker

Has anybody used an EQ pedal with this amp? If so, what are your thoughts.

10. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    I used a parametric eq for a while. It made the amp more full sounding overall but also increased to noise, so I dumped it. Hugh recommends a Barb EQ in front and says it works wonders. I'd like to try another EQ. It would make the amp way more useful.

Sent from my Droid using Strat Forum app

11. Turbodog384

Turbodog384 Strat-Talker

12. Turbodog384

Turbodog384 Strat-Talker

I've been looking at maybe getting an MXR EQ.....leaning more towards the 6 channel than the 10. I did see a forum saying that the Pigtronix was amazing on the Jr. Problem is that current info on Jr. Is hard to find. This is a great little amp....just looking to tweak a little.

13. The amp tramp

The amp tramp Strat-O-Master

Nov 19, 2011
    Brighton
    NAD! Just got an epiphone valve special 15w off gumtree(like cl) in uk. Sounded sweet this morning with my lp. Looking forward to cranking it up later with my strat!

14. The amp tramp

Nov 19, 2011
    Brighton
    Lol. 5 not 15w! Sounds pretty good with the strat to, louder!

15. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Dec 19, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    Look up the JP1 mod. It is an absolute must do, and it's so freaking easy. The other thing I found is that the amp responds greatly to tube rolling. I still wanna try one of those JJ El844 tubes.

16. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    I did the Jp-1 mod at the recommendation of Hugh and it did wonders. I'm glad I did it.

17. airmanbrown

airmanbrown Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2012
    Blue moon! :D

18. The amp tramp

Nov 19, 2011
    Brighton
    The speaker has been upgraded to a jensen ceramic, and im going to look into to these mods for sure maybe later in the year. my local amp techs are reluctant to take mods, is something i'm likely to be able to try myself with little experience?

19. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    A year or two ago I picked up the Epi valve jr 112 cabinet. It was at a second hand store, and looked brand new. I found the Lady Luck speaker was really stiff sounding and was really slow to break in. Maybe that's why it was there. When it did break in though, it was pretty sweet. Needed more room in the shack though and I ended up selling it (and a few other items) a few months ago for four times what I paid for it.

20. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

Dec 19, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    If your amp tech has a hard time doing the JP1 mod for $20, you need to find a new tech. That's about a buck a minute, start to finish, plus the cost of a simple switch, 8 inches of wire, and 4 small solder joints. That's if you go "whole hog" and put it on a switch, which is what I would recommend for a bit more versatility from the amp.

For what it's worth, I spent more time looking for a particular screwdriver than I did doing the JP1 mod on my amp.

VJ Mods: The JP1 Mod - YouTube