Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Epiphone Valve Jr. Owners/Users

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by jdempler, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 25, 2009
    The Evergreen State
    I thought about putting the jumper to a switch when I did the mod, but I ended up not doing so. I'm glad I didn't because it would've been a waste of time and money, IMO. The amp sounds better with the mod, so reversing it would be pretty much worthless.

2. The amp tramp

The amp tramp Strat-O-Master

Nov 19, 2011
    Brighton
    Ha! Thanks carlsoti, techs round here are thin on the ground and mostly make a living doing the simplest maintenance for the many studios here. Im not down on techs but to get one to take on modding my peavey took weeks,its been on his bench now for 2 months and its nearly 2 hours drive away. Doing a simple mod myself to the epiphone looks really appealing right now!

3. mvh9591

mvh9591 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 17, 2013
    PA
    jp1 mod on Epiphone Valve Junior

It was difficult for me to really hear the difference on the YouTube video - Actually the video made it sound more distorted IMO - Would most of you recommend this mod? I use my VJ pretty much weekly gigging with a Peavey 2x12 cab. I'm not sure I even need this mod but I am always on the search for better tone. If I was to perform this mod I assume if I wasn't happy I could always just solder the jumper back together. Right?

Thanks for any advise in advance. (I'm new here)

4. STRATCATMAN

STRATCATMAN Strat-Talk Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Orange County
    My Third VJ

I've had two of the V1 combos. The first was nice. The second had an awful hum problem so I sold it when it got even worst. Last November I found a mint used V3 VJ head at GC for $90. This one sounds five times better than the two combos I had put together. Just when Epiphone got these things right, they quit making amps!

[​IMG]

5. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    Definitely the version to have. Congrats on finding a clean one. Cut that JP1 jumper - gets rid of the mud.

The Epi V Jr kind of started the whole 5 watt craze.

6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I purchased one from GC last week for 89$. It works well in combination with the other two amps, adding a nice flavor to mix. On it's own, I was not as pleased until I plugged one of the older Squiers with the cheap ceramic pickups into it.
    Sounds like a different amp when you do.
    Using alnico based pickups, it is too sensitive it seems. During bends and vibrato, it sounds like crap, and the slightest movement on the strings seems to drive it off key. Unplug my favorite strat, plug the CN2 Squier in, and all of a sudden you have beautiful cleans with tone like those pickups never produced before using the other amps. Then I switched to the CN2 Squier Series. I think the Squier actually sounds better through it, but it plays nice with the Squier Series also.
    I have a V-Amp between the guitar and the amp, so I can adjust the sound, have gain, effects, and reverb.
    I am using two Kustom passive monitors with horns and 12 inch speakers for the cabinet.

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Bismarck, ND
    [​IMG]
    Here's my ver. 2 combo with bitmo trio, jp1 mod, and ghetto repaint. Currently has a bugera 12ax7 and jj el844. Came with a ruby 7025ss hg, and tried a tung sol 12ax7 high gain. Like the cheap tube best.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017