Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EQ Suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Hak2235, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    Hi guys ,

So I make LOUD Grunge like rock music.

It's done in a LO-FI Mono sense.

The recordings I make before hitting SETTINGS

Sound pretty decent already when I play my tracks on

LAPTOP WITH HEADPHONES
    MY USB INTERFACE WITH HEADPHONES.

My Old 5 graphic band stereo from the 80's.

Now when I try listening to it with just my LAPTOP Speakers it sounds like a complete mess.

I promote my music on YOUTUBE , SOUNDCLOUD etc and I could imagine people are never getting a fair taste of what it sounds like with their LAPTOP SPEAKERS or PHONE Speakers.

Here is my SOFTWARE EQ Menu ,

I can use up to 20 Bands of GRAPHIC and PARAMETRIC and as you see down there their is a bunch of presets ?

Anyone here with some helpful tips and info ?

2. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    IMAGE OF MY EQ MENU Here

Attached Files:

3. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    First off to get an ACCURATE representation of your tracks headphones, regardless of how good they are, won't do it. You need to play the tracks through various speakers. Headphones give you only one sonic representation of your recordings and usually an enhanced version. If you REALLY want to know how your tracks are going to translate you have to have a good set of studio monitors and the flatter their response the better. Once you have a decent mix on them, then play the tracks through various other devices( computer speakers, car speakers, home stereo, headphones,etc.) and you will notice the tracks sound completely different on each system. I mix down through three separate pairs of speakers and in mono to get a good mix before going through other systems. The trick to mixing and mastering is to find a balance wherein the tracks sound good ( relatively speaking) on all reproduction equipment. As for EQ settings, Each track is going to have its own sonic characteristics so you have to adjust eq accordingly. You may find a preset that works as a starting point( grunge, rock, jazz, whatever) but those presets are only a starting point. I'm not even going to get into compression, limiting and sonic space. This is probably more than you wanted to deal with at this point but getting good recordings is a combo of trial and error, experience, experimentation and objective understanding of what " sound "
    You are trying to achieve. Good luck and sorry for the novel.

TheDuck likes this.

4. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    So far when I took the

freq 2.2 khz TAB and placed it at the -60db it sounds pretty good now on my laptop speakers and headphones alone.

Like to think I'm getting on the right track already.

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    But what if you tweak it for YT via Laptop then I'm at home watching YT via Apple TV and listening through my sound system and large speakers? @moullineaux summed it up great, don't mix it for just one type of speaker/headphone.

6. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    Very true which is why I am trying to a good balance lol.

Stratoskater likes this.

7. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY

8. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Lo fi grunge is supposed to sound lo fi ..... :whistling::D

Hak2235 likes this.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's more fun to make things quite hi fi, then to mangle them along the way. :D

10. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    Of course , what I did originally needed some slight EQ improvements lol.

11. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    OK So I found a Custom EQ Presents for Audacity ,

Which it has things such as

EMI , POP , LOUDNESS ,ROCK , HEAVY METAL , BLUES , JAZZ

Now I use a BOSS DS-2 in MODE 2 , Which gives a Boost to like the MIDDLE RANGE.

Now , oddly the BLUES Setting in the EQ Package sounds very good ,

Does anyone work with BLUES Music ? May explain why that might sound better for me rather then using

HEAVY METAL , LOUD ROCK EQ Recommended settings Stuff ?

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    A 60db cut is bad. If you're boosting or cutting that much something is seriously wrong with the primary recording.

Lets break this down, and be brutally honest.
    You're going about it wrong. Completely wrong. If this comes across as bashing, its not, this is strictly constructive criticism and advice.

First, preset EQs arent going to help you. How can they? They are made by other people playing and listening to different music on different gear. When it comes to EQs, there is no one size fits all.

Second, low-fi Grunge (or Rock or Punk) isnt really low-fi. Even the most raw sounding bands in history were heavily produced in the studio. Yes, its an art form making music sound as if it was made in a basement with a $10 Walmart microphone.

As mentioned, headphones arent the best for mixing. You need a decent pair of reference monitors to mix on, and if possible, a couple of different speaker configurations to listen to the final product.
    A reference track wouldnt hurt either. A reference track is a song that sounds similar to what you're after, that you can "reference" when creating yours.

No guitar or vocal sits at 16K, unless its Alvin Chipmunk on vocals. Even 8K is a stretch, unless your trying to add a bit of high end breathing to the track. Heavily distorted guitars will be a fizz fest anywhere near 8K.

To achieve what you want, you need to make clean clear recordings with minimal EQ / FX, then use something like a tube preamp / compressor plug in that will give a low-fi old school vibe to your recordings.

In the final mix, less is more. You dont want to be cranking compressors, limiters and EQs to shape the sound. You want to majority of the sound to be there before the final tweaking.

Lose Audacity, its holding you back. There are other free DAWs that are far better and have great plug ins.
    Reaper, Garageband (Mac only) and Pro Tools | First are my first choices.

Be careful using analog pedals with digital gear. Digital is very sensitive to input levels and those analog pedals can easily overload the input. Never let your input signals hit the red.

This is all meant to be helpful, not critical, so keep that in mind if my words read as a bit harsh. Thats not my intention at all.

velvet_man, Robins and jimyjazz like this.

13. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Buy this plugin

14. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Dont buy anything. Get a good DAW, learn it and you'll find 99% of what you need is already in there.

Thrup'ny Bit and Robins like this.

15. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    Yup the minus -60db only worked well with the real horrible distortion pedal I had before , the pedal was super loud ? so backing it down to -60db seemed good then .

But now the thing that is really making sense to me to make things clearer is the old

PAN HARD Right or Left .

As guitar being smack in the dead centered middle sounds too crowded , even though it's a Single Mono Guitar. It's odd but that's why they say there's no SHOE FITS ALL MIXING Guide lol

TheDuck likes this.

16. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY

17. Hak2235

Hak2235 Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2013
    JERSEY
    I was reading around on some DEAD Forums , people could somehow figure this out in XML text so it could be used in AUDACITY.

I really love the sound of theses 4 realtek eq's , any idea what the DB's could be ? doesn't show that part.

Attached Files: