Join Strat-Talk Today

Ernie ball cobalt strings

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jerryarnett, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Jerryarnett

Jerryarnett Strat-Talk Member

Since I have been mainly playing my strats lately I'm finding my les Paul too dark sounding I have always used pure nickel strings and was thinking of trying the ernie ball cobalt strings or is there any other strings out there that will give me a little brighter snap I mainly just play clean

circles and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

This may sound strange....

and dont think for a moment my hands arent covered in calluses and look disgusting.

but.. those cobalts.. the ONLY strings that actually BURNT my finger tips from moving up and down quickly on them.

I have no idea whats going on in there... but they actually burnt me.

total friction burn, similar to rug/road rash

never used them again.

gwjensen and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels on my "standby" guitars that got very little actual playing time, so the strings would go dead from age rather than skin contamination. Ultimately, I went to them for everything, but today, I'm back on regular old EB Slinkies.

abnormaltoy and CigBurn like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I use pure nickel a lot too and find both my ES 335 and Les Paul sound too dark on the wound nickel strings. I just use regular D'adarrio nickel wrapped steel. They add back the brightness and take away the mud I get from pure nickel and humbuckers.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oddly enough I picked up a week or so ago a dozen sets of Dean Markley Signature series nickel steel strings (11-52) to try out. Set up one of my strats for them and put a set on last night. They come with 2 G strings one wound and the other plain, I went with plain. The one thing I noticed immediately compared to the EB hybrids I normally use is how even they are tonally across the set. They DM's are definitely warmer and rather than working to take off some of the brightness of the EB's I find myself having to adjust things to get back some of the bite in attack. Especially on the wound strings.

Overall though, so far I like how they sound, but will give it more time to see if it's what I'm looking for.

6. Stratoskater

Are you talking about these: https://deanmarkley.com/collections...kley-signature-series-electric-guitar-strings

If so they are not pure nickel strings they are standard nickel wrapped steel just like EB Slinky or D'adarrio XL. Also on pure nickel strings the wound are the only ones that are different, the unwound strings are just plain steel like in nay other set.

CigBurn likes this.
  7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow

8. Stratoskater

9. CigBurn

These.. I understand the makeup though but thanks for the info. :)

Image3.jpg

10. Stratoskater

Cool, just wasn't sure you realized they were different than the pure nickel strings the OP is talking about. Of course even the same alloy by different manufacturers will sound different. I find EB to be zingier and brighter than D'addario in nickel plated steel or pure nickel formulas.

CigBurn likes this.
  11. CigBurn

Finding the same thing with the DM's .. haven't decided yet if it's what I want or if I'm just so rooted in the sound of EBs that I'm looking for things to not like.. Thus the 12 pack, gives me plenty of time to work it out. :)

Stratoskater likes this.
  12. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

Daddario NY XL... best strings I ever played with in 50 years... sounds & feel perfecto !

13. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I only use the Cobalts in 9s but not really sure they are any brighter than regular Super Slinkys. They have a bit more output and last a long time tho...

14. Jerryarnett

Jerryarnett Strat-Talk Member

I picked up just some regular slinkys over the weekend going to give them a try sweetwater has a sale on them 3 sets for $9.99

Bob the builder and Stratoskater like this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

We really need to have a strings forum. Though not as critical as strings are to a classical guitar, there are some variations between the wound types for electric guitars.

I do notice that the pure nickel wound strings aren't as bright as plated steel wrap. But unless you are really changing the ferrous metal content of the strings, you won't notice a big difference in sound. The strings are there to react with the magnets in your pickups.

The OP might want to try Ernie Ball Paradigm or Cobalt, one of those was brighter than the regular slinky, but I can't remember which ones. Also Curt Mangan makes some good ones. I did notice that the 11 to 48 set was brighter sounding in the wound strings, and they have that slinky feel.

I used to use Dean Markley strings back in the day. The plain strings always turned black, and rather quickly. It's interesting that we electric guitarists don't experiment more with strings, but I guess that there's not a lot of difference, as long as they feel good, and last awhile. We can adjust how any set is going to sound with amp EQ.

With classical, and steel string acoustic guitars, minute variations in manufacture or materials can make a big difference. I have two or three different brands of electric guitar strings on hand for my strats. But, for my Classical, I have about 30 different makes on hand and they all sound different once on the guitar.

16. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

You want Bright? Try D'Addario Pro Steels. Very very bright strings. I use them because of my nickel allergy but I guess you could use them too.

17. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

I’ve used them, but I don’t like them. Give me regular Ernie Ball Slinky’s and I’m good to hook.

18. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

3 for $10 is a great deal.
    I usually end up with "Buy 10 get 2 free" for ~$46 on Amazon, but I've seen them cheaper from time to time.

19. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A hapless Yeoman.............. Strat-Talk Supporter

I tried them. Found they had(for me, too, at least) a horrible, hard to move on feeling. While I can'tsay they actually burned me, I really couldn't abide the feel. I also never used them again.

Nate D likes this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

I've tried them and they didn't sound very much different, perhaps a little brighter.

They do however cost a lot and they turned black literally before mu eyes. After 15 minutes of playing they looked like a set of regular strings do after a month.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.