Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Euroguestock IV - Tawny Owl's nest

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by BegForMore, Feb 1, 2018.

1. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    See post number 76. ;)

I don't of course know the venue or the scale of the PA and the skills of whoever will be working the mixer, but using, say, a mic'd up 10 watt solid state amplifier for monitoring what you're playing on stage as well, is going to be tricky in my opinion.
    I would much rather use a 50W or 100W valve amp at 10 watts on stage than a small solid state amp trying to compete with drums and bass and every other player.

Of course, I could be very wrong Manuel. Do you know what the house PA consists of, how much wattage there is and how many speakers, and if there is a sound-person to operate it, or is it just a set and forget type of arrangement.

I'm a tad concerned because we will be playing to a paying (?) audience... if it was "only" a jam it certainly wouldn't matter so much.

felis and 2-Finger like this.

2. 2-Finger

2-Finger Strat-O-Master

Aug 16, 2016
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi Stu, I'll find out more about the PA and sound person. The PA should be good enough as there are some big concerts / events for hundreds of people in this hall. But in any case we are not going to use 10W solid state amps, that would definitely be not powerful enough, even for monitoring. We will also talk to the sound guy well in advance to make sure we have all the technical details covered.

Regarding the audience, we will be inviting friends, neighbours etc... And then of course anyone that happens to come by can see/hear us. I need to check again with @BegForMore if there is a plan to charge a small fee, but I do not think so.

felis likes this.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Aha! That all puts a different light on it Manuel! Thanks for explaining. :D
    The usual rule of thumb for concert PA is 2 watts per person and there should also be a capable foldback arrangement too from what you've explained. For some reason I had the idea of a gigging PA amp and a couple of 2 x 12 columns! :eek:

I think talking to the sound guy is a great idea, so we know what to expect. It may even be that the venue does have some amps available to borrow and he will know that. We can then plan accordingly.

If it's only friends and neighbours and casual passers-by listening we certainly don't want to charge do we. :confused::oops:

I'll leave it all in your capable hands mate. Many thanks. :D