Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever Just Play Awful?

Discussion in 'The Online Jam Forum' started by Astroman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. 757ian123

757ian123 Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2013
    Virginia
    I really don't feel that my technical ability varies from day to day. I'm not the greatest to begin with, but it's always pretty consistent. Now my improvising/creativity definitely has it's good and bad days.

Also my tone (or my ear for it) changes a lot as well. One day I'll be thinking "damn, this sounds good, I'm never selling this amp/pedal/guitar!" and the next I can't get a good sound no matter what I do.

2. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Played awful? Yep, been there/done that !!

I do try to learn from the bad times and hope for good.

3. bish0p34

bish0p34 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 11, 2013
    Alexandria, Va.
    Unfortunately it just happens. There's days I feel that I'm on fire, and days I'm ice cold. Sometimes no matter what I do I can't get with it. I remember doing a bad shift at an old job I hated, then going to the studio to finish some tracks. I couldn't get anything going and ended up wasting a two hour session. It was just so demoralizing.

It happens. These days if I have a bad day practicing at home, I just stop playing and walk away for a while.

4. bobpick68

bobpick68 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2016
    NH

I have been playing guitar for about 30 years now and the last 15 or so my life has been so busy that I rarely get more than a few minutes in a day to practice. I spent quite a few of those years trying to be a good lead player and realized about 10 years ago that it's not my strong suit so I pretty much gave up on it. Sure I can go widdly widdly dee here and there but if I were to be a lead guitarist in a band now I would not be a very good one.

I have a few solos a night and it's about a 30% chance that I nail it. I have learned to roll with it and push through it. My rhythm playing is pretty solid but I even manage to screw that up here and there especially on Friday night gigs where I worked a lot of hours at my day gig all week.

I really wish I had more time to practice. That always lessens the chance of sloppy playing.

Mouse likes this.

5. bobpick68

bobpick68 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 28, 2016
    NH

Yeah and not to change the topic but I am amazed at the number of players I see that still haul full and half stacks to small venues and turn them way up. I am talking about people my age too in their 40's and 50's. I get that nothing sounds like big iron but big iron but nothing chases people out like guitar blasting their ears off either.

To get back on topic I have noticed that the simpler my rig is the more it holds me to be true in my playing. Also keeping the distortion down forces me to really dig in and be accurate.

wildhawk likes this.

6. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Good point. Some use gear that encourages poor playing.

7. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Only when I pick up a guitar , other than that I sound great .

gwjensen and FormerTeleGuy like this.

8. Sandybourne

Sandybourne New Member!

Sep 7, 2012
    Texas
    Never ever got past awful ,but the wife still humors me :eek:

FormerTeleGuy likes this.

9. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

I've had days where I showed up to play feeling like a million bucks had a totally off night. Other days was tired, didn't want to gig that day, had equipment problems, and still killed it. There is no telling what will happen when showtime comes. I guess that is the thrill of playing.

10. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 27, 2012
    London
    Yeah ... Always.

11. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Maybe the best thing to do is to analyse where your mistakes happen and try to figure out how to correct that. If you're playing "parrot fashion" then there is always a risk that you'll miss your cues.
    I'm not sure how to suggest improving that, short of analysing and learning the scales the original player used.
    If on the other hand you're relying on improv then you might benefit from a deeper understanding of the scales you're using. :)

I hope that doesn't sound condescending! It was meant as trying to be helpful. :)

gwjensen likes this.

12. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    I avoid playing gigs where the group I'm playing with only gets to play one song. I need a warm up song, to work out the kinks and nerves.

"Some days are better than others", says Michelob.

13. oldrank

oldrank Strat-Talk Member

Feb 2, 2017
    mi
    I seem to think I sound the best when Im jamming alone..then I get the thought that I need to let someone hear how good it sounds n suck bad.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    This may seem weird, but I play a lot as a guitar teacher. And as a consequence of that and where I carry my stress, I get knots in my shoulders, especially and mainly my left. When they are bad, I lose an amount of coordination in my left hand. Pinched nerves, basically. Worst I can play. After I work those out it feels like I have really fresh fingers.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Who hasn't played awful? :D

16. Pete_C

Pete_C Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Ever Just Play Awful?
    can't remember when I didn't.

Thrup'ny Bit and Family Man like this.

17. Family Man

Family Man Strat-O-Master

Same here... same here.

18. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I've been awful - as in awfully BAD - more times than I want to admit.

fezz parka likes this.

19. crzymtnman

crzymtnman Strat-Talker Silver Member

Oct 21, 2016
    Roanoke, VA
    Tonight has been a good night, when I have an off day there is always this to keep me focused, an old favorite of mine.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

After a gig where I thought I stunk up the place:

Dude: Chris! You were awesome tonight.
    Me: Are you drunk...or deaf?
    :D