Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever Just Play Awful?

Discussion in 'The Online Jam Forum' started by Astroman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Some days are better than others. If it's bad I stop. No sense irritating the neighbors. It's better when they ask if it was me they heard a couple nights ago or was it a CD or something

2. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Had the power to play awful the day this thread started and eight months later still have the power.

:(

Stratoman10 likes this.

3. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US

Yeah, that, uh, that NEVER happens to me. :)

Mansonienne likes this.

4. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Seattle
    I try to hit one correct note per song and sometimes I actually do!

5. gvaldez216

gvaldez216 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 18, 2014
    DENVER
    Only way I know how

Ash-Man likes this.

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Most of the time I suck, but I have my moments when it all comes together and that's what keeps me going...
    My neighbor compliments me from time to time, but I'm pretty sure he was hearing a BB King CD...

Stratoman10 and Jigglebone like this.

7. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Am I playing?

Then it's awful.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    I play awful all the time. I've been playing awful for 47 years. I play a whole different class of awful these days, I have it down to an art. I ain't gonna stop now. :p

9. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I am what you call 'The Natural" at being awful.:D

10. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I dream of being awful someday. I'm still only disgraceful.

11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Yall make me laugh...probally all of you make a shovel sound better than i can make a guitar sound

Mansonienne likes this.

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    This thread was an interesting read...glad it was revived. I've been experiencing this myself lately at gigs. In my basement, I just put the guitar back on the rack and call it a day. I can't just walk out of a gig :).

I have to say it's refreshing to see that so many other people go through the same thing.

I've just come to accept that some days I will be ON, and others not so much. Sometimes it will be a particular set...first set might be awesome, and then some of the mojo disappears during break. Usually I am somewhere in the middle. I've learned to not beat myself up for those days where it's just horrible. I record my gigs with a video camera (just because I can) and pretty much 100% of the time, any misses weren't as bad as I originally thought.

Some things I have learned. I can usually sense when something is coming off the rails. I'll dial it back...simpler licks, gentler attack with the pick, turn the boost on my pedal board off. If I'm improvising, keep the solos short and simple and sweet. If I'm playing something as written, I've been doing it enough that I'll slide up or down to where I need to be quickly. Sometimes the "dialing it back" causes me to go into some new territory, and that's always good.

There is still that 1 or 2% of the time where it's a real howler and you get totally lost with no hope of recovering...those you just have to laugh it off...it happens :). They become part of your war stories.

I've also come to really appreciate those nights and sets where I am really ON...they don't happen every time out.