Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever met a big celebrity?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Feb 11, 2019.

1. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

most celebrities I have met have been normal sized humans

CigBurn, Nadnitram, Lone Woof and 4 others like this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    Yeah my ex wife married the drummers brother. I feel sorry for Kelly, having to put up with my ex at Christmas time. Kelly is really cool though. I got a Seven Wishes music book with the solos all tabbed out. Kelly has had it for about six months, getting the original guys that aren't in the band anymore to autograph it.

Gillis is so cool. He plays better than he ever did these days, and that's saying a lot. And he was really nice to the missus. We talked about his former endorsement of Mesa Boogie amps. He told me about the noise that comes through the amp when using the footswich on the MK V, and I got a MK V 25 and it does the same damn thing. I hardly ever use the clean channel though so no worries.

Gillis is a collector of vintage guitars. He has over a hundred guitars. Ive got his phone number and email in my phone, just in case I run across anything vintage at my buddies music store.

Chont likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I met Warwick Davies once...

Numbercruncher likes this.
  4. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I've met a few- lots of athletes- more than I can actually remember by name.

I've met Michael Jordan who was nothing but an amazing person to a 12 year old kid. Frank Robinson ranks as one of my favorites- he just was so wonderful across every spectrum. I've seen Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow at a Starbucks when she was in Sarasota filming Great Expectations. Brian Johnson sat next to me in a dive bar drinking and he was amazingly nice. Andrew Lincoln on the same escalator as me. Evander Holyfield next to me in the subway at the Atlanta Airport. Art Garfunkle a few feet away from me. The dude from Sugar Ray who's a host on Extra. Both Nick and Drew Lachey. Shaking Buddy Guy's hand was a highlight. Dicky V was a member at a golf club I worked at in highschool. Tom Cruise running on Siesta Key Beach.

A few others that I'm sure I'm missing.

One of my favorite, and nerdiest, was meeting Eugenie Clark. That was a real treat. I just said, "I know who you are and appreciate all the work you've done and it's an honor to meet you." She smiled very broadly and said she was happy to have made such an impact. Lovely lovely lady.

Mostly, I leave celebrities alone. Almost everyone I mentioned meeting I didn't say a word to and just acknowledged their presence and they always smiled slyly or winked or something. They just want to get on with their day too and for the most part, I also don't want to ruin a relatively positive opinion of somebody by catching them while they're trying to make a flight or something. Just maybe nod and smile and know that I've had a nice encounter too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    In the shop...
    I've seen these three but never close enough to talk to them. Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke and Scatman Crothers in the movie Bronco Billy. The movie was filmed in my town "his worst movie ever". Buck Owens and Jana Jae were here during our National Old Time Fiddle Festival. There is a candy store down town that used to be called Fawn's Fudge Factory and Fawn is the sister of Merlin Olson, "Little House On They Prairie" and football player. He was a speaker at our graduation.

6. Williamwolka

Williamwolka Strat-Talker

Dec 10, 2017
    Indiana
    Zakk Wylde. I told him if he keeps practicing maybe someday he’ll be as good as I am. He grabbed me in a headlock and flipped off our camera. If I can find the picture I will post it. It was at ozzfest in 2000 or something. That guy is strong!

duzie likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Nope, never met anyone. I'm a recluse.

Did the Tsar have his shirt on?

8. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    A few , no big deal , just people who put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us .....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. AncientAx

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    More impressed with the guy who runs everyday on his prosthetic legs and lives in my neighborhood who had his legs blown off in Vietnam .

duzie, Sarnodude, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  10. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'l play. I have jammed with @Rogue Bohemian and @Groovey a couple of time. Also met @Bodean and his family a couple of times, Jammed with his son once even. can't do much better.

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Wilt Chamberlin - jerk
    Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Slayer, Alice In Chains - all very cool
    Puddle of Mudd (I hate them but my buddy grew up with a member so we were backstage) - biggest d-bag i ever met

Can't remember the rest off the top of the head

12. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    No, no big celebrity has met me :D

13. AncientAx

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    AF5FEBA3-7EB3-42B3-8C55-A54852F508D7.gif Here is the guy , he ran 3100 miles across the country .

amstratnut, duzie, LPBlue and 8 others like this.
  14. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    In the late 60's my folks met Larry Hagman at a local steak house in a rural California town, owing to the fact they were seated together in the corner for being weird looking, (my dad wore his long hair in 2 braids, and Larry was wearing rose colored oval glasses). We became friends and saw them several times over the next couple of years.

Also in the 60's my folks frequented clubs in Oakland CA. There was a band called the Golliwogs that they liked, so they asked them to come play at our open house when we moved from Berkeley to Lafayette. They played a set for $100, then passed the hat and played a second set. Later they changed their name to Credence Clearwater Revival, lol.

Had dinner at our favorite restaurant in Santa Cruz, Oswald's, and Paul Newman and his daughter (who lives nearby) were seated at the next table.

I know a lot of famous orchid people ... but then, they're orchid people, you've probably never heard of them, lol.

LPBlue likes this.
  15. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

May 15, 2010
    US
    I'm a retired airline pilot and over the years have met several celebrities that were on my flights. Two of the nicest were Roy Rogers and John Denver. John loved flying and we spent quite a bit of time talking about aircraft and didn't talk about music at all. I was really sad when he died in his plane. He had a great passion for flying.

16. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    A real American hero.:thumb:

17. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Do professional wrestlers count?:D
    I have met many professional sports athletes in my time. Most you probably wouldn't know them.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  18. AncientAx

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    Sure they do !

Bodean likes this.
  19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Edward Burns from Saving Private Ryan was a genuine nice guy. Let me noodle on his guitar in the edit room. And even remembered me almost a year later when I ran into him at a different post facility I was working at. Asked how the family was.

Oh crap...

How could I forget Bruce Springsteen. He was in an edit room with Thom Zimny working on a live DVD and I had to go in and fix a DBeta. They were at the back of the room on the couch and it was just a hello and a thanks for getting us working exchange but it was cool.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  20. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I have met a few "rock stars" because i have a friend who was an LD for a big production company.

I was backstage, side stage, at a lot of concerts.
    Most were very nice. I don't feel right about bothering them to be honest.
    I don't ask for autographs or pictures or anything like that. Most times i have just said...... i enjoy your work, nice to meet you, something casual like that. That's it.

I have met several sports "stars" as well. Same thing.
    To be honest, i don't idolize celebrities. Maybe when I was younger I thought it would be cool to be one, but my age has changed my views on what's important.

I'm not being corny or sentimental here, but i idolize my dad.
    Worked two crummy jobs to put food on the table. Same with my mom, worked a fulltime job and raised us kids.

I am following in dads footsteps, and I'm quite proud to do so.