Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever met a big celebrity?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    ..Lynda Carter...wow....must have been dreamy..

2. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I think the only person I ever might who might somewhat qualify as a "celebrity" was Dr. Hook (from the Cover of the Rolling Stone song). He came to a town where I worked as a reporter, so I interviewed him and watched his show and did a writeup. He was a really nice, friendly guy, and TINY. I don't think he was even 5 feet tall.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    Music or tv/cinema or both? "All of the above" are occupational hazards for me!:D

I was somewhat surprised when I met Chuck Norris...that dude could jump up and head butt me in the chest before I even knew what hit me I bet!:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    Barney’s Creek, Utah
    Most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in person!

5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    The Fonz..Henry Winkler. I designed the sets for a MacDonalds commercial he was directing.
    What a gentleman, no ego, just part of the team.
    I think this may have been one of his early forays in commercial film directing because he leaned on me heavily
    for advice on how the sets would work insofar as lighting and camera angles.

Also met and worked with Michael Richards (Kramer) on a Clorets commercial.
    I don't remember much about him except after the set was approved and built and we were in pre-light, he decided, upon seeing the set, to add some physical comedy
    which required us to raise the whole set up on 6' risers (it was a fairly big restaurant set). My crew had to work all night and by dawn they were less impressed with Mr. Richards comedy bit.

6. Tora Tora

Tora Tora Strat-Talk Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Madison WI
    Just last December while picking up my daughter at O'hare Airport, my wife exclaimed "Is that Kareem?"
    I was twice flabbergasted that it was him and he was really tall, and that my wife being a non sports fan, actually recognized him before I did.
    Then some other schmuck asked me if that was Wilt Chamberlain!

LPBlue likes this.
  7. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    Michael Richards is hilarious. And I love that movie with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton, Night Shift.

“This is Chuck, reminding Bill...to shut up”. :D

Nadnitram likes this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Drew Barrymore literally physically ran into me in Pike Place Market in Seattle.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  9. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talk Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Near Boring, Oregon
    Nice to meet another "Moto-Head"!! :cool:

I've got to meet Roger Decoster in 1970, and Brad Lackey as well. Both were CZ riders, very approachable, fun to talk to (to my 14 yr. old self), and big reasons why I raced a CZ when I turned 16. Roger didn't recall meeting me at the '97 Supercross in Seattle. :(

I got to meet Waylon Jennings at the PDX airport, back when you could walk back to the terminal gates without being a ticketed passenger. Was dropping my little sister off for a very early morning flight to Tulsa, OK, and in walked Waylon And his wife, Jessie Colter. The unbelievable thing was that they knew and recognized my sister! He was a really GREAT Guy!! ;)

larscaster, tery and Numbercruncher like this.
  10. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Man that is some Austin Music History right there!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

larscaster and LPBlue like this.
  11. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Man that is some Austin Music History right there!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

maqcatt likes this.
  12. MitchellD1

MitchellD1 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Kansas
    I ran across Kareem Abdul Jabaar in a grocery store in Dillon, Colorado in the 80s. I was about 12 at the time. The Lakers were my favorite team and he was my favorite player. When I approached him he was alone in an aisle. I asked him for his autograph - he said no. I was upset about it the rest of the day.

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Sat next to Mike Wallace in an airport during the time Bill was denying having relations with Monica. Watching CNN, he kept muttering "yeah right" to me while listening to Bill speaking.

Nate D, Chont and LPBlue like this.
  14. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Canada
    Just worked at Tommy Hunter’s house. He’s a big deal in Canadian country music and had a long running television show. Said hello but mostly talked to his wife.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  15. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    John Glenn in a Starbucks. Jefferson Airplane a couple times, (oddly my dad was on a flight with them once too) The Greaseman if you kow who he was/is...Steve Morse various other guitar guys. Bill Carson, former Fender CEO Bill Schultz...

16. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Wrote and produced a radio campaign for Black History Month while living in New Orleans. Chose Aaron Neville, Irma Thomas and Alan touissant to tell their stories. Sat right across from Aaron as he did an impromptu sample of "Tell it like it is." Goosebumps.

Boognish, stratman323, Nate D and 2 others like this.
  17. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    I don't know what qualifies as big celebrity.

Through the eyes of an Australian, I would opine it's slightly different. We're more likely to associate celebrity with athletes than actors or musicians.

20 years ago I worked in 'politics'(NDA), so obviously working, had several 'encounters' (not always friendly) with PM's and state Premiers. None of whom I'd classify as 'celebrity'. Most I would describe as public leeches. Many still are involved in politics and have 'sucked a lot of **** to get where they are'.
    Zero respect for nearly all of them - selfish societal leeches with no scruples whatsoever.

Had many opportunities to meet champion athletes over the years, swimming, track and field, cycling, Football (we call it rugby union / rugby league) etc.
    Bro-in-Law's older sister was multiple world champion triathlete (RIP Jackie) and her hubby happens to be a world champion archer and olympic Gold medallist.
    I worked with Stephen Evans (OAM, world champion Rower) for 3 years. Nice guy, not pretentious in any way.
    John Eales (Wallabies Captain) married my childhood next door neighbour of 15 years, so obviously have had the fortunate position of being able to meet many international Rugby union reps.
    Anna Meares (cycling), Michael Turtur, Stuart O'Grady, & many other cyclists, though various Races & criterion events.
    Ian Thorpe - before the massive international pressure and oppressive fame. If there is one guy who outwardly can shrug off international pressure, Thorpy is the man.

Michael Doohan, Garry McCoy, Max Biaggi, Loris Capirossi, Casey Stoner, Dajiro Kato (RIP) Barry Sheene (RIP), Troy Bayliss, are guys I've spent more than 5 minutes with and absolutely respect for their commitment and bravery.

And in my childhood, there were quite possibly the most 'impacting' sporting legends - Wally Lewis, Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga, Alan Langer, to name a few, who I have been fortunate enough to spend time with and actually talk to, not the 'hi-hello' kind of engagement.

The only encounter I have ever had with an actress was Sigrid Thornton, who was with her daughter in a Melbourne shopping mall, when my 'evil twin' saw her and asked politely for a photograph, handing me the duty. I felt bad and had to apologize for disrupting her afternoon, but she simply said 'that's okay, no worries' and we let her get on with it. It was actually this kind of random encounter and Sigrid's absolute politeness that made me feel about 1' tall.

Brushes with 'fame and celebrity' have never been my thing personally. I simply treat everyone with the same respect and do not make allowances for ego.

I also think there is a generational difference in how we view or classify 'celebrity' and to whom it applies.

These days, anyone with a youtube channel seems to qualify as a celebrity.

nutball73 likes this.
  18. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    Nice bunch of riders there ^^^

I knew Troy Bayliss and Troy Corser pretty well - in fact me, Troy Corser, Terry Rymer, Scott Russell and a few others went go-karting down at Terry’s Dad’s place after the UK World Superbike round in (I think) 1998?

It got pretty wild - Scott decided his rental Porsche was better suited to the kart track.

It all ended in tears when someone smashed into the back of Matt Llewelyn and covered him in burning fuel...

Ah, fond memories..

JB74 likes this.
  19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I got to meet Phil Lesh when he was driving in the celebrity grand prix at the Cleveland Grand Prix in the early 90's at Burke Lakefront Airport.

A head I knew worked for a painting company and, his boss wanted to know if he knew anyone who wanted to carry the ropes for the balloon advertising his company. Wouldn't get paid, except for tickets to the race, along with pit passes. He said SURE, and signed us up.

When we got down to the race I was mildly interested in what the cars were doing. I believe it was an Indy Lights race that year. The celebrity race were spec Hondas- each open wheel car identical, Honda 4 cylinder powered, same brakes and suspension- all to see which celebrity was the best driver.

Walking down the pit row we were looking for Phil's car- hoping we'd recognize it with some groovy graphics or something. But they were all the same paint scheme- solid color on white. At the end of the row we spotted a helmet that had Space Your Face airbrushed on it, and it was #50. Phil Lesh was listed as driving #50.

We waited around for the drivers to come out, when someone noticed the car next to his was Richard Dean Anderson's. When Phil came out, he was wearing his polyester casual clothes and hush puppies, square nerd glasses, his trademark just a bit too long haircut (not long enough to be cool, more like Bill Gates).

I had a bunch of stuff for him to sign, including a ticket stub from his birthday show (50th birthday- "Hey, remember this?" "Oh gosh, haw haw haw!").

Got a picture of Anderson using my Swiss Army Knife pretending to make adjustments to the linkage, while I was pointing and Phil was standing there scratching his head.

Had a sign that said Lesh is More!, which he also guffawed at, as well as signed. He came in dead last, several laps down. I think they were all waiting for him to finish the race so they could pack up and go home.

Also got to meet Jimmy Buffet when I was working as a bar back at Margaritaville when I first got to Key West.

I was going back to the walk in cooler to bring up a 5 gallon bucket of limes (2 5 gallon buckets of limes, 1 of lemons just for the day shift). Going into the back you passed the server station on the right, then the GM's office, liquor room, employee restroom, then it opened up into the kitchen with the line on the right and the dish tank on the left. Coolers and deep freeze were straight ahead.

As I was walking back, I passed a guy jiggling the handle on the liquor room. Got my limes, delivered them to the bar then had to take the empty to the dish tank. Guy was still there when I passed for the third time.

Said "Can I help you man?"

Jimmie said "I'm trying to find the bathroom."

"Next door down." Pointed.

He went about his business and I went back to mine. I had to take care of the servers as well as the bar, and there was no room behind the bar for even 2 people to pass, so I posted up near the swinging doors to the back.

Few minutes later, he came out and offered me his hand. "Hi, I'm Jimmie."

I shook his hand, said "Yeah, I know who you are. My name's Jay."

He said "Ain't that a *****? My own place and I don't even know where the head is!"

Then he asked my where I was from. I told him Kelleys Island, and of course he'd never heard of it. He had heard of Put-In-Bay, since there's a Buffet wannabe named Pat Dailey that plays at Sloppy Joes the entire month of February.

He said "I've got a lotta fans up there, don't I?"

I said yes. Then he said "The Cincinnati show is the high point of the Midwestern summer tour."

I nodded. Was also wearing one of my brother's Buffet concert tees, from Miami a couple years earlier (we had to wear Buffet gear), and he pointed to it and said "Man, I remember that show! Sure was hot that day, wasn't it?"

Said "I wouldn't know, this is my brother's shirt. He's a huge fan."

Then I asked him about his guitars. He said he has a Martin that's too nice to take on tour anymore, so he mostly plays Takamine AE's. We chatted about that, and he asked me if I played. I said I did, and told him I did a solo acoustic show every afternoon, 4 to 7 at the Tree Bar down the street. And that He Went to Paris was a standard of them.

He said "I'll come check it out before I have to leave. Well, I'm sitting in with the band tonight. Why don't you come out?"

I said "I'd love to, but the rules here are you can't drink here after work. Plus I'm not sure I want to pay the cover."

He said "Don't worry, I'll put you on the list."

That evening, after my acoustic show, and a shower and meal I went down there. As I approached the door, Tom bar manager this 6'6" long blonde haired ex-longshoreman Viking looking dude was eyeballing me shaking his head. When I got up to the door I said "Jimmie said I could come see him. And I'm on the list."

He said "We'll see about that!!" Started looking at the notes on the clipboard, I saw his expression change and he said "Well I'll be. You are on the list." And pulled back the velvet rope.

I walked in, found a space at the bar and ordered a beer. When I went to pay the bartender Lou said "Jimmie says you're on his tab tonight. But don't be stupid, only have a couple, Tom's staring you down."

Glanced over and he was giving me the hairy eyeball. Took my beer and stood to the right of the stage (about where I would be when I was working).

When the song was over Jimmie said (on the mic) "Hi Jay! Glad you could make it? Any trouble getting in?"

No trouble. "Folks, Jay here's from, what's the name of that island up north you're from?"

Kelleys Island. "Yeah, Kelleys Island. Is there a song you want us to play?"

I said I'd like to hear He Went to Paris. "Sorry man, we just played that one. Folks, Jay here does a great version of that song. He has a solo acoustic show every afternoon, down at the Tree Bar. But here's a song I think you'll like."

And he played Railroad Lady, which I think he played since it mentions Cincinnati in the lyrics.

20. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Did they have any wax corgis there?