Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EVH shouldn't have played keyboards?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    It seems to be such a common viewpoint that Eddie went to the dark side or whatever when he started playing keys, thus ruining the bands' original hard rock sound. I completely disagree with that. I actually think 'true VH fans' should honor the fact they reinvented themselves to better suit 80's pop radio... If not for the changes on "1984", they could've easily just faded into obscurity. "Van Halen 1" and "1984" are their most successful albums ever, both eventually going 10x platinum (diamond). I actually think the band is lucky that "Diver Down" was as successful as it was considering it really only had 2 modest hits on it.

I consider "Jump" a masterpiece. The catchy synth hook for 80's pop radio worked into an arena rock song. As a songwriter, I give Eddie a lot of respect for coming up with that. Just a magic sound IMO.

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    1984 is such a classic and has the perfect album title. No hate here...30+ yrs later and I still listen to that one on occasion.

mikej89 likes this.

3. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    Anybody who can do both should do both. Worlds of sound in them thar keys :cool:

mikej89 likes this.

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Yeah, and the Cos should have stuck to pudding and left the ladies alone.

jaybones likes this.