Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

External Mic to Android Phone

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by dueducs, Apr 13, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I am not serious about recording, but I do like to make short clips with my phone to share with family, friends, social media, etc.
    I am looking for suggestions for connecting an XLR external mic to my Android. I know I need a 1/8" plug for the phone (or an adapter) that incorporates the input/output/ground, but I am but clear if I need a TRS or a TRSS connection.
    I have also looked at the Yeti blue USB mic, but I would still need a USB to TRS (or TRSS) adapter for that.
    Suggestions? Go...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

2. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

I've not had any success in my attempts to use an external mic with either an android phone or tablet. I've tried both the 1/8" jack and the USB with a couple of different recording apps and...nothing.

I gave up. I wish you better luck. If you happen to be successful, perhaps you would share the how with us...yes?

3. dueducs

There is a young lady on Instagram, emmalineofficial, that is 1) a great jazz singer, 2) accompanied by her BF on guitar, and 3) records directly to her phone in the lobby of her music school using a single microphone. The sound is nice and once she explained the very basic setup they use, but now I cannot find it.
    Anyway, thanks for the input. Hopefully someone has been successful and will share their method/equipment with us.

4. dueducs

Anyone using the iRig Pre???

5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I was hoping there'd be dozens of suggestions by now.

6. dueducs

Me too!!!

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Me Three!!!!!:thumbd:

8. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin

9. dueducs

So I have taken a shot in the dark and ordered an iRig Pre ($47 in Turkey). Tests forthcoming (hopefully within a couple weeks).
    Really, no one has tried these or come up with another method???

10. dueducs

I got the iRig Pre in the mail today. I'll try to post something this week and we can judge the results (but not my playing!)

Robins likes this.

11. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    You can get a USB "On the Go" wire for most Android phobes and run a self-powerd USB mic