Join Strat-Talk Today

Faded Fiesta Red Paint Color

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mjc02865, Jul 23, 2014.

1. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

Does anyone know the DuPont color code for Fender's "faded fiesta red" Strat color?

2. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

Does such a colour exist ?? I strongly doubt they had back then any "faded colours"....

3. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

4. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I've seen various different colors for "faded Fiesta Red". Some are more of an orange-salmon color, and some are much more pink. The ones that are more orange toned are probably due to the clear coat yellowing, and the pink ones did not have a clear coat. Many folks say that Salmon Pink and Coral Pink are actually faded Fiesta Red.

MJT does custom finishes in various amounts of fading. I got one Fiesta red body from them that was very pink, and another that was more red. They might be able to tell you about paint codes or custom mixes. Here is their Fiesta red gallery.
    Color Gallery - Fiesta Red - MJT Custom Aged Guitars

Here is an interesting write up from this website:
    Vintage Guitars Info - Fender custom color finishes on vintage Fender guitars

Colors that were not effected much from the yellowing clear coat are the reds (in the 1960’s these colors are often not clear coated anyway). Unfortunately, these colors are highly reactive to sunlight (photo reactive). This could help explain the "Coral Pink" or "Salmon Pink" syndrome. Looking at Fender's custom color charts from 1960 to present, you can see Fender *never* had a color called "Coral Pink" or "Salmon Pink". The only official pink Fender used was Shell Pink from 1960 to 1963, which is a very flesh-toned pink color. The "Coral Pink" and "Salmon Pink" guitars are probably Fiesta Red in which the red pigment may had faded. Since Fiesta Red has a large amount of white in it, if the red fades the white would bleed through thus creating a pink. More likely though, and what many don’t understand, original Fiesta Red is not really that red. From the can it’s a pinkish, (light) orange hue. Every "Coral Pink" or "Salmon Pink" Fender I've seen from the late 1950's and later was actually Fiesta Red.

5. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Was probs originally a 56 Chevy red or something

6. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I think it was a Ford color.

Attached Files:

7. Craig Howard

Craig Howard Strat-O-Master

The Fiesta Red is a very mysterious color.

It changes hue with light, angle and ambience. ESpecially stage lighting!

It can look different every time one looks at it.

Mine does ...and it is the cause for much debate (argument) amongst my guitarist friends who insist that when they saw Hank playing his live, forty years ago, it was more red..more pink...more orange.

A search of videos and photos will show every hue of Fiesta Red one can imagine.

8. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

I love this classic Strat color. I think it's going to be difficult to lock in on a particular faded fiesta red hue - - the more I look the more variants of it I find. I think it's time to hit the paint store(s). Thanks for the feedback.

Note: My next dilemma is whether to go maple or rosewood neck? I'm leaning towards the rosewood but like the maple a lot too.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  9. supershifter2

supershifter2 Strat-Talker

it just has to be a ford color. i dont mind if its Delta airlines red

10. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

this is exactly what I meant. ;)

11. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I love this color too, and finally decided to put one together. I decided to do an early-60's style strat, lightly relic'd, with rosewood fretboard and mint green pickguard. I'm not really into relics -- I tend to store my guitars in their cases and take care of them, but for this guitar I decided to something different. It's not complete yet -- I'm still waiting for my custom neck to arrive.

Sometimes I think I should have just bought a Simon Neil CV Squier. It would have been a lot cheaper, and I like the CV strats.

Attached Files:

12. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

I like what you've done. My color will be a little more faded (more like the Ford in the picture above) but, like you did, with mint pg and rosewood fretboard. I too was thinking (Squier) Simon Neil but I already have the guitar, albeit in white) so I'm just a paint job and stain job away from being where I want to be -- I need to paint the body red & stain the neck back and headstock amber.

13. SpanishJonny

SpanishJonny Strat-Talker

This is mine

Attached Files:

14. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

Nice! MIM or MIA? What year? All stock?

I'm aiming for something like this (but maybe with a hint more orange added in)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  15. 52 tele

52 tele Strat-Talk Member

I remember reading somewhere that the first Strats imported into the UK[possibly sunburst 57's]were sometimes sent away to be resprayed,sometimes using a red colour
    the same as Fiesta red,which faded over time to become a Salmon Pink colour...........
    mmmm lovely!.

16. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Fiesta Red

If you are looking to paint one, google Gracey's Vintage finishes. I seem to recall they had a straight up fiesta red and a more faded towards orange looking one. ReRanch does a Fiesta too.

17. RLS1952

RLS1952 Strat-Talk Member

18. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Strat-O-Master

Fiesta Red or Fullerton Red as it was originally known by the factory was never a standard off the shelf colour. It may well be the case now but back then, no-way.

George went to the local paint store and had some paint mixed to his liking. Read on...

Attached Files:

19. PowerTube

PowerTube Strat-O-Master

You could easily mix a little white into the standard Fiesta Red and get that effect. Just keep adding white and testing on a scrap piece of wood until it's the shade you want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.