Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fat 50's- Polarity- noise cancelling and output- custom wiring

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by claytushaywood, Dec 2, 2017.

1. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Strat-Talk Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Kentucky
    I recently aquired a 2014 american standard in aztec gold- at first i hated the pickups- then I played them out of my ampeg reverberocket and fell in love.

So i'm into custom wiring strats- the deaf eddie chromacaster is a very cool way to really hot rod a strat- actually the best- if you can find something better let me know.

So the chromacaster allows all sorts of combinations- N+B N+M+B N+B in series N+B in parallell Middle outof phase. all sorts of crazy stuff. I've always thought a strat's hum cancelling positions could be more useful if the neck or bridge was reverse polarity- instead of having the humcancelling positions only be the quacky sounding positions. bridge and neck in parallel and bridge and neck in series are seriously useful sounds and to have those hum cancelling (along with one quacky position humcancelling- say if the bridge is RWRP bridge and middle in paralell or in series would still be hum cancelling- just not middle+neck

so the fender 2014 american std comes with fender custom shop fat 50's pickups- fenders site says they are something like 6k neck 6.3k middle and 6.2k bridge. so the middle pickup actually has more output than the bridge?!

I was thinking i could switch the bridge and middle pickup which would (when combined with the deaf eddie chromacaster) give me hum cancelling neck and bridge combos without losing any output on my bridge alone pickup?

Are there any other issues with this idea? they dont make strat pickups different widths or anything?

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You can swap the bridge and middle easily, and it will work fine. There is no size difference. If the wires on the bridge pickup are long enough, you won't even have to solder.

Keep in mind, you will lose hum cancelling on the neck/middle combo.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    BTW, I have the same 2014 AM STD in Aztec Gold. Very cool guitar IMO, but I guess I'm biased. ;)

4. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    No no no, those Fender DC resistance values should not be used to make any kind of decision. First of all, the tolerance for DC resistance is like +/- 300 ohms due to typical differences in ambient temperature. Second, the wind count decides the inductance, which decides the output. The DC resistance is a crude approximation of wind count, and this is because multimeters cost much less than LCR meters. Finally, the pickups in your guitar might be off spec. Fender is the worst when it comes to adhering to pickup specs.

Ebidis likes this.

5. claytushaywood

Sep 11, 2011
    Kentucky

I dont really think its going to be that big of a deal- its not like this bridge pickup is loud at all. actually the neck and middle are louder unless i make the difference in pickup height a lot bigger than typical on a strat

this is going to be the best strat wiring ever. i lose one humbucking position and gain like 6

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

DCr is not horsepower, and that little bit one can balance or compensate by a mere pup height adjustment.

7. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    The neck and middle are always louder because the strings move more the closer you get to the middle of the string. You can see as much with the naked eye. If you want a hot bridge to compensate, it has to be much hotter, like an ssl-5.

8. claytushaywood

Sep 11, 2011
    Kentucky
    i know, and it doesnt need to be that much hotter. it really only needs to be a little bit louder and just a little closer to the pickups. i have a feeling these custom shop fat 50's the bridge pickup just is not louder than the middle and neck tho