Join Strat-Talk Today

Fatter tone from extremely bright strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mcawesome57, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mcawesome57

Mcawesome57 Strat-Talk Member

Ok so here we go I have a 60’s classic player that I absolutely love have owned it for 5 years now. My issue is I am trying to get away from my other guitars and seeing what kind of tones I can get out of my strat because it is a very versatile guitar and I have yet to go past the 4th and 5th position because it is soooo bright. How can I get fatter tones from the bridge and middle pickup without just rolling off the tone bc it seems to lose volume in the mix thanks

2. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Replace one or both of them with a humbucker.

If you don't want to do that and you want to stay with a passive tone circuit, the only way to do it is with the tone control. Maybe play around with different capacitors on your tone pot and see if you like one better than the others...?

3. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

I stay on the middle pickup a lot. But I have Lace Sensors, and they are very warm, so your mileage may vary. The obvious things to try:
    • roll off the tone control on the guitar
    • experiment with EQ for your amp
    • Find a different speaker for your amp (for instance, back when I had a Blues Junior, changing the stock Fender speaker for an Emi Cannabis Rex made a GIGANTIC difference in tone)
    • Find a pedal or two that does the trick. Maybe you have pedal that only gets used in conjunction with your bridge pickup, for instance. I have an Xotic EP Booster for that purpose and it works great.
    • Swap one or more pickups on the guitar. A million choices out there, and lots of good threads on this site describing different pickups

Yves likes this.
  4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

My goto is the neck pickup for fat tone, set up the amp to play great with that, and then roll down the tone on the bridge pickup when going to it so it's not so bright.

Stratoskater and BallisticSquid like this.
  5. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Get rid of that 69 bridge pickup.

IMO - Almost anything will have more girth than a 69'er in the bridge position. Though they sound fantastic in the neck position on most guitars, they are really thin and underpowered in the bridge IME.

Or use a graphic EQ pedal with a level control to boost it.

A simple Boss GE-7 will do wonders.

6. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

BOSS SD1 or similar.... or... fiddle with the amp knobs, add mids, cut highs. Work that out with the other guitar player.

7. Mcawesome57

Mcawesome57 Strat-Talk Member

Also a thought I don’t know much about wiring but can you wire the neck pickup to the bridge kinda like the new performer series bc I love the tones the pickups have but the bridge is too bright and wonder if it would make like a spit humbucker sound?

8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I only use a '69 in the neck position.
    My Fender CS '54's sound great in middle and bridge.
    Adjusting height can cut some treble.
    Roll back your tone knob.
    Your amp and speaker choice will matter.

9. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

First thing to try:

Roll off the volume on your guitar a little bit and compensate by increasing the amp gain.

Next: Adjust pickup heights.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

You can wire the tone to work with the neck pickup, which I probably isn wired o from he factory. You simply ad a wire to the switch. If necessary, replace the pickup. But everyone has given you a good place to start. A lot can be helped by lowering your pickup, and/or adjusting the EQ on the amp.

11. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I second this ad I have a blend circuit on mine where I can blend in the neck with the bridge and vice versa. I can also have all 3 pickups going together. I also think you should put in a fatter bridge pickup like and SSL1 or a Harmonic Design vintage plus. I have a VP in my bridge and it is really thick.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Lower the neck pickup cover to the pickguard, set the bridge pickup for equal volume when switching between. Put the middle pickup in the middle. Turn up the amp volume. Better?

Standard Strats have the bridge pickup straight through with no tone. Some put a jumper on the switch so the second tone knob runs the bridge too.

What I do is lower that pickup height and rewire with the Armstrong Blender, second tone knob blends between SSS and HSH. So I can make a single coil just a little thicker or thin out a fizzy humbucker situation.

13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Definitely do this. Set you amp to sound good with the neck wide open the roll the tone down on the bridge and middle. Make sure the tone knob works on tne bridge as well as the middle.

Also do this.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. guitarjack

guitarjack Strat-Talk Member

IMO you should get a hotter bridge pickup. I had a 69 set and the bridge was so underwhelming.

If you can try it out, go for something like a seymour duncan ssl5 (13k) or maybe even tex mex bridge (7.6k).

That way your 69 pups would be warmer in the neck and middle (around 5.8k) and the moment you swap to the bridge you’ll notice an increase in drive and sustain with a hotter bridge pup. Excellent for lead parts.

Textele likes this.
  15. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

You can use a pedal like the Pickup Booster, which can help EQ the brightness out and boost the volume. If you want to change pickups, I'd say either the APS-2, the Five Two, or the Quarter Pound will solve it.

16. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Boom.

:)

I use very low wind pickups in my guitars. The bridge pickup in my 65 reads 5k at room temperature. I can get it FAF ( Fat as frack). The bridge pickup in my 83 JV reads 5.5k...and I can get it FAF.

17. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Up or down?

18. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Down.

Unless of course they are already too low :)

19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Lower the pickup.

This will lower brightness.

Hope this helps.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  20. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

This might sound crazy, but I just put Graphtech saddles in a guitar that had stainless saddles and it mellowed that bright (to me almost shrill) tone that guitar had.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.