Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender 50s classic series.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mr.Haas, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mr.Haas

Mr.Haas Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Just a quick dought here. People say that the 50s classic series are not for a more heavy sound (I don't mean heavy metal, I mean something like pink floyd and led zeppelin). Would this be "repaired" by replacing the pickups with higher output ones, like a Seymour duncan ssl-5? Sorry about my lack of knowledge.

2. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    I can get heavy with mine just fine... I actually thing the stock pickups are very nice. The only thing they need is a cap change to wRm them right up.

The-Kid likes this.
  3. Lincsman

Lincsman Strat-Talker

Jun 16, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    As Achyskic says there ok pick ups , play around with your amp setting before shelling out on new PU's.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm no Pink Floyd expert, but Gilmour's main guitar for years was the red Strat. That is an early (1983?) US 57RI with EMG pickups. The only big difference between an AVRI like Gilmour's & an MIM Classic 50s is that the more expensive guitar has a nitro finish. And that's not going to affect the sound to any significant level.

So I would have thought that a Classic 50s was a pretty good starting point for anyone who wants a guitar to sound like Gilmours. Whether you want EMG pickups like the red Strat has, or the mixed set that the black Strat has is entirely up to you.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

What caps would you suggest? I am just about to pull the trigger on one of these guitars right now.

6. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    It's been my experience that most any guitar/pup can sound like most anything you want with the right effect and or eq set up.
    Best of luck with your decision(s).

7. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2011
    LA
    Don't change the guitar. Any sound you want can come from basically any guitar you have. I am always amazed when I read what guitar was used for a specific song, it is never what I thought. The Beatles heaviest song, probably, was Helter Skelter. Paul McCartney played this on a Fender Esquire, of all guitars. If you want a heavier sound, you need a tube amp you can overdrive, and maybe an overdrive pedal, but with the right amp, maybe not. 50's and 60's strats (they changed hardly at all in that time) were used on thousands of HEAVY sounding recordings. You don't need to change pickups, caps or anything. Just turn up the volume.

Joel

8. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    .1 uf same as in the eric johnson strat...really makes the classic series breath

Two Vintage 1 uf 100 V Tone Caps New Qty 2 | eBay

9. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2011
    LA
    Here is the set up you need.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. PinkFloydfan91

PinkFloydfan91 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2010
    Burlington,NC
  11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I would always recommend trying a .022 cap - less aggressive than a larger cap like a .1.

But caps are irrelevant to the original query.

12. Mr.Haas

Nov 16, 2013
    Brazil
    "Originally Posted by Achyskic View Post
    I can get heavy with mine just fine... I actually thing the stock pickups are very nice. The only thing they need is a cap change to wRm them right up."

Why would it be necessary to change the caps??

13. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    The stock cap makes these pickups abit bright too me' changing the cap really warmed it up.

14. Mr.Haas

Nov 16, 2013
    Brazil
    Is the Classic Series 50s a satin body guitar??

15. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I disagree. A .1 cap knocks off so much of the mid range it's almost unusable when you turn the tone knob down. That's why Fender stopped using them. A smaller cap like a .022 allows you to roll off just the top end, so it actually does a more practical job of "warming it up".

But caps are a very minor matter, nothing to do with the original query. And they have no effect at all when the tone knob is on 10, so I don't know why they were raised in the first place.

16. Achyskic

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    I for one never run my knobs at 10..... And trust me the classic series came with a .22 I believe and the .1 warmed it up. I guess Eric Johnson strat has no mid range huh? Or the Jimmie V, or the..... Also Fender uses the .1 on alot of guitars still today.

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

The caps were brought up because I pursued the topic. I hijacked the thread, but since none of us pay to be here what does it matter?

jpmist likes this.
  18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I believe that you think it's an improvement. And I also believe the smaller cap is an improvement. It's purely a matter of preference. There's no right or wrong here. Some people prefer a .1. Others prefer .022. Probably more still prefer the half way stage of .047. But to most people it makes very little difference.

And it makes no difference whatsoever if the tone knob is on 10, which is how most people use a Strat.

19. smithboyrd

smithboyrd Strat-Talker

Oct 20, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    It is poly, but they do make it in a nitro/satin finish for $100 more, and I believe that guitar comes with a case, but only in Candy Apple Red.

20. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    If you are going to change out the pups,buy a MIM standard. I have one that looks just like the Black strat,but has a fat 50s in the neck,cs 69 in the mid,and an ssl-5 at the bridge. It also has locking tuners and it cost less than a classic. I have a classic players 60s,and wouldn't change a thing as its nice as is.