Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender 50s classic series.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mr.Haas, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Strat-O-Master

Nov 29, 2010
    Po-Town
    In New York and L.A., city halls are falling down
    There's no escape when a cap war comes to town
    In a cap war, cap war, cap war

2. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-Talker

Jul 1, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    No i havent because it isnt worth doing. A builder posted that in another forum and he was saying it doesnt make a difference to care about and i agree. You want a big difference, change your pickups but i know those thinking the cap will make a big difference is the cheap way to think you are doing something worth while.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    OK, well I'm glad that you have found some information that suits you. But could you please clarify what it was that you learned from this guy on the internet? Did he say:

The type of cap (i.e. the material it's made from) makes no difference to the sound?

or

The cap makes no difference to the sound when the tone control is left on 10?

or

Turning down the tone knob of a guitar fitted with a 0.1 cap has exactly the same effect as turning down the tone knob of a guitar fitted with a .022 cap?

These can get confusing & I'm curious about what this guy actually said.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Changing your amp or letting somebody else play the guitar will make a lot more difference than changing a capacitor or a pickup.

5. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Tone cap material cannot possibly have an effect on the sound, but the quality will, because a better one will have a lower tolerance, which means it will be nearer the value that it claims to be than a cheap one.

Pots are the same, a 250k pot with a tolerance of 20% can be anywhere between 200k and 300k, whereas a 5% one can only go from 237.5k to 262.5k.

(I used pots as an example 'cos I don't have the math skills to work it out for caps.)

6. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-Talker

Jul 1, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, There was a whole thread on it.

RaySachs likes this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    No, it was a question! Yes isn't an answer. I offered 3 options of what this article might have said, & asked you which one he did say. I'll repeat the questions for you.

But could you please clarify what it was that you learned from this guy on the internet? Did he say:

The type of cap (i.e. the material it's made from) makes no difference to the sound?

or

The cap makes no difference to the sound when the tone control is left on 10?

or

Turning down the tone knob of a guitar fitted with a 0.1 cap has exactly the same effect as turning down the tone knob of a guitar fitted with a .022 cap?

These can get confusing & I'm curious about what this guy actually said.

8. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-Talker

Jul 1, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll repeat my answer, yes, there is a thread on it. You want to read more, here it is. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-musicality-of-capacitors-in-a-strat.1896515/

Im not interested in things that don't make much of a difference, I'm not that much of a geek in that regard but yes I have changed my pickups.
    A lot of posters think it makes a big difference, but then some think using a different power cord for your amp makes a difference too which is assinine.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

and for supper there is..............

can%20of%20worms.jpg

Uncle Mui likes this.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I give up.....

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Yup, YOUR geetar, YOUR ears. Best thing for anybody to do is get a few different VALUE caps and try them to see which one gets YOUR tone control to work the way YOU want it to with YOUR complete setup.

Happy pickin'

12. AndyFroncioni

AndyFroncioni Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Montreal
    I got the Overdrive complete pick guard. It sounds awesome!
    http://www.stratcat.biz/4035.shtml

Yves likes this.

13. Eligius1976

Eligius1976 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Riells i Viabrea (Girona-Spain)
    It”s a classic 50s mim strat. Already at home! Very happy with her, very well adjusted, plays great.