Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by skeetercaster, Jun 17, 2012.

1. skeetercaster

skeetercaster Strat-Talker

Feb 7, 2012
    Jacksonville, Fla
    Hi guys , I've owned this DDRI about 2 weeks now,and the Class-5 for a couple of months,I run em' through my pedal board,then A/B box, the Deluxe adds the tight bottom that the Marshall lacks due to a 10" speaker,so together they sound awesome,cleans are accomplished thru the Deluxe,darker tones thru the Marshall.And have I mentioned tolarable volumes,yeah we use a low stage volume a mic through the PA,this rig does the trick,it's also kinda like having a 2 channel amp

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      86.3 KB
      Views:

2. premgem

premgem Senior Stratmaster

Jun 5, 2011
    San Antonio
    Yeah, the DRRI are great sounding amps.

3. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 28, 2008
    Western MA
    Nice setup! I like mine a lot, I have the LE in blonde tolex / light colored grill cloth, it looks sweet. How do you like having the amps tilted up like that? Next amp on my list is a JCM900 combo, hopefully I'll find one locally someday. Gotta have a Fender and a Marshall!

4. skeetercaster

Feb 7, 2012
    Jacksonville, Fla
    I like the amp stand,since we mic everything through the P.A.,our stage volumes are pretty low,I run the Marshall volume about 12 oclock,and the Fender about 10 oclock.the Marshall does the dark dirty tones, and the Deluxe cleans and warms everything up,together they just sound awesome,very easy to get that Texas Blues tone,with just a little break-up

5. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2011
    NYC
    Awesome setup. I have a DRRI and I have my eye out for a class 5.

6. wbgb

wbgb Strat-Talk Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Alabama
    I love My DRRI! I bought it in 2005 and have used it regularly. I did not like the bright cap, but instead of clipping it, I put in a set of Groove Tubes--The FST set. I also put in a Cannibis Rex. This combination is awesome! I play through TS-9. I can get breakup and low volumes and the ice pick is gone. The bass notes are now very articulate and the trebles are smooth. My amp sounds like an original 65 reverb.

Barry Green-Burns

7. BigDipper15

Dec 24, 2011
    NYC
    I threw some JJ power tubes and rebiased and damn she sounds sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Strat Forum

8. db2112

db2112 Strat-O-Master

Dec 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    Picked up a Deluxe Reverb RI a few weeks at my local store w Fender summer promo. I have a Strat and an Epi Les Paul, amazing what a difference having a good amp makes for tone with either of these guitars. I had been using an old Vox amp that 'modeled' the Blackface sound, but not even close to playing the real thing. Most of my playing so far has been lower volume with OD pedal, but looking forward to turning it up a bit. At this point I have stock speaker and tubes, no mods and satisfied with sound as-is. Still trying to find a great lead tone with my OD pedal (Hardwire CM-2 TS clone), but clean this amp is fantastic!

9. BigDipper15

Dec 24, 2011
    NYC
    Just try out a tube screamer 808 reissue.

Sent from my iPhone using Strat Forum

10. JRS11

JRS11 New Member!

Jul 24, 2012
    New England
    anyone have any issues with the Reverb? First on a '65 DRRI I had a hum that did not go away and it was sort of a dull sounding amp. Then I got a Ltd. Edition, wonderful clear tone, but some cracking when the reverb knob is put even as low as 2. It goes in tomorrow to get checked out, wonder if anyone else has has any issues? Thanks

11. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2008
    Cornwall England
    Hi JRS, hope you've now got your DRRI sorted.

Cheers, NickGretsch

12. JRS11

JRS11 New Member!

Jul 24, 2012
    New England
    Seems so NickGretsch.
    It looks like it happens when the footswitch is attached, so waiting for a replacement, I believe there must be a short in it or something.

Thanks

13. StratmanNick

Sep 24, 2008
    Cornwall England
    Thanks for letting know what the problem was JSR, good to know it it happens to mine. Luckily it's not serious.

You're over on the G-T Forum too aren't you?

14. JRS11

JRS11 New Member!

Jul 24, 2012
    New England
    Yes, I was pleased. There are noises here and there that are not consistent but I believe this is with any amplifier...nothing that is heard when playing.. And I like this amp for a modern amp, I am not one for Gain and middle,etc, I like the simplicity.

Yes, I am at the G-T Forum mostly. They have been very helpful to me on setting up my Gretsch, first time in all of these years that I have owned one, funny, lived near the factory for years, almost got one as a first guitar but Gibson won me over then, it was I think 1966 or so, that and a Pro Reverb.

15. StratmanNick

Sep 24, 2008
    Cornwall England
    Catch up with on "the other side" hahahaha...G-T is a sister site of here anyway I presume.

Was into Gibbos in the early 70's ...We move on.And on.And on....

Anyway, sorry Skeetercaster for somewhat hijacking your OP but it was nice to catch up with JRS on this forum.

16. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    My 65 DRRI just arrived yesterday. I am very pleased since it's been my favorite amp since the mid sixties and I never owned one until now.

I found some great info in this thread that will prove useful in the near future.

I got mine used off Ebay and the speaker isn't even broken in yet. The amp is flawless.

I plan to have it modded to PTP and some other goodies added a bit down the road.

It's great to finally be a member of this club. One of the best amps ever made.

17. elrojo119911

elrojo119911 New Member!

Nov 9, 2010
    Mexico
    Here goes

Two photos of my DRRI

Attached Files:

nozi likes this.

18. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    Well, that didn't take long. I've already done a variation of the Fargen Hot Mods for the DRRI.

Instead of the speakers they suggested, I put a Cannabis Rex in mine.

I got the Fargen Custom Shop DRRI speaker cable (which is made by another high end company- I'm thinking Evidence Audio) and installed it.

The last part of the mod was replacing V2, V4, & V6 preamp tubes with either Tung-Sol or JJ tubes. Also an option to switch from the 12AT7 to the 12AX7 in V6 which produces earlier breakup, a little more gain and sustain.

And since I don't use the normal channel, I removed the preamp tube for that circuit which diverts that energy to other circuits, improving their characteristics.

The amp sounds great. No unpleasant tones or sounds of any kind. The perfect gigging amp.

I believe that this mod package I just did will allow me to hold off on having it redone PTP for a lot longer than I thought before the mod.

I need to find a place appropriate to post a bunch of nifty gear I got recently also. Some really cool items for home, studio and stage. I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that will like and use this stuff.

19. skeetercaster

Feb 7, 2012
    Jacksonville, Fla
    DRRI Mods

Alright guys, I've started to have some mods preformed on my DRRI

1,replaced the stock speaker with a Weber 12" silver bell 70w 8ohm,paper cone, light dope. https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/
    2, replaced the stock tubes with....Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue - Premium Package
    3,replaced stock caps with orange drops,replace resisistors on circuit boards with foil resistors,several circuit board mods to 65' specs

It sounds much better than stock,clean but not ice-pickey,nice tight bottom end, it starts breaking up at about 4-5, and at 8-9 (with an attenator,Weber Mass 50 ) Is deffently a nice smooth sounding overdrive,touch sensitive, and plenty of singing sustain, I'm pretty happy with the mods,but look forward to replacing the stock tranny's with Mercury Magnetics in the future

20. Strategy

Strategy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    Florida
    I've got a Class 5 (and love it), but am in the market for a DRRI, also.

I saw a used one at GC yesterday in mint condition for $699. Maybe they might take $650 or so, not sure - didn't ask about it as it was close to closing time.

Question: Is $699 a decent price for a mint used Deluxe Reverb Reissue? I'm guessing this particular one is fairly new..

Here's a cell pic I took of it:

[​IMG]