Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender '68 Deluxe Reverb for home use?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stavs, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Stavs

Stavs Strat-Talk Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Uk
    Hey all

I've got my sights set on purchasing a Fender '68 Deluxe Reverb. I only play at home, so you could argure that the lower wattage '68 Princeton is a more sensible choice. But I'm attracted to the DR because it has two channels (so more versatile), a larger speaker and I love the tones I've heard when listening to demos and reviews online.

I think regardless of whether I owned a Blues Junior (which I do), a Princeton, or a Deluxe Reverb, the volume levels required to achieve natural break up and overdrive are just not appropriate in the home. So in all cases, I would use pedals and view the amp as a pedal platform.

However, does anyone else use a '68 DR at home? When played at relatively low volumes (with or without pedals) will I lose out on some of the tone compared to something smaller like a Princeton?

Thanks!

Mansonienne likes this.

2. o6 oly white

o6 oly white Strat-O-Master

Oct 23, 2013
    Graham, WA
    It sounds good at low volumes and I sometimes play it at home and it is good, but the princeton sounds better at bedroom volume than the deluxe. I have the 68 CDR and 65 PRRI neither are stock though.

3. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey

4. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    They do have a limited edition or special run version of the Princeton with a 12inch speaker

jrbirdman likes this.

5. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville, OH
    I think the Princeton would be better for what you want. Cheaper too.

Stratoskater likes this.

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    If playing strictly at home Id buy the one that has the best clean AND sounds best with pedals to MY ears.

Im not sure there is a better clean than a princeton. But I think it could sound thin and trebly if overdriven. A ts pedal might be good for that or a pedal with some eq ability.

Ive never played the 68. Ive heard good things.

Nate D likes this.

7. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-Talker

Sep 8, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I've had Deluxe Reissues at home for years, and they work great for that. They are very good from about 3.5 on the volume control through 6 or 7, but generally start to lose it over that point. Excellent from 4-5. Certainly loud, but not insanely so.
    I've also had a Twin for home use...didn't work out very well... sounded awesome, though. :cool:

Nate D and craigh like this.

8. Jrhemming

Jrhemming Strat-Talk Member

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I played the cdr 68 and loved the tone at guitar center volumes I'm going to get one for home. Definitely try one out. I tried out the cpr 68 and didn't like it. never tried the 65 prri

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    When I had a DRRI I could not get it above 2-3 at home without my wife getting pissed. That was with a 5751 in it and plugging in to the low input. I'd go Princeton.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I've never played a '68 deluxe, but I owned and played a '64 (actual not reissue) Princeton for 12 years, and I can tell you that it's a freakin' GREAT amp. Sounds really good at low volume with pedals, and sounds good cranked.

Don't let the 10 inch speaker fool you, those things have more bottom end than Jennifer Lopez.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Nate D, gibsonsmu and stratmauler like this.

11. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-Talker

Feb 6, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I've got a Blues Jr, 68 Custom PR and 68 Custom DR.
    The DR is a bit much for home, but got it with the idea of occasionally playing out and was missing having a DR.
    Get the PR and an A/B/Y pedal and play the PR and Blues Jr. together. They sound really good together with Strat or Tele and are different enough that they compliment each other.

The 68 Custom PR and Blues Jr together are loud enough that you could play out with them in combination.

12. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    I have the 65' DRRI. If you don't need distorted tubes, it sounds pretty good at low volume. For a more versatile, vintage sound from 5 to 80 watts, I highly recommend the Roland Blues Cube Artist. As good as my Fender amp and about $400.00 cheaper.

13. Stavs

Stavs Strat-Talk Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Uk
    I have to say its making me think twice about the 68 DR when people are saying its a bit much for home use. But does it really matter if (most of the time) I only get to play it on Volume level 2 (with pedals)? Would a Princeton sound better just because I could play it on volume 3 instead of 2 on the DR? Any thoughts?

14. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Even the Princeton is not exactly quiet on 2 or 3. It may be lower wattage, but that just means less clean headroom. It is louder than you think. The 10 inch speaker instead of 12 inches makes some difference though.

If you are going to be playing mostly at low volume with pedals, I like the Princeton.

Stratoskater likes this.

15. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Princeton Reverb = 12-15Watts
    Deluxe Reverb = 20-22 Watts

Any of these power levels is way more than anyone will ever need for practice playing alone (ie not with drums/bass).
    Some amps sound better at low levels than others, but you are splitting hairs between these Fender RIs.
    I personally prefer a 12" at any volume but the Princeton(s) are arguably scaled better toward the typical uses of a small amp.

16. the dark sailor

the dark sailor Strat-O-Master

Dec 18, 2008
    south jersey
    Personally, I would go with the Deluxe. It's gonna have a sweeter tone with that 12".
    Get yourself a volume pedal and put that between the guitar and amp. That way you can turn up the guitar & amp to any level and control how much you want to come through. Either a whisper or full blast. Plus with the Deluxe if you want to get out of the bedroom and into a gig it will handle it with no problem.

Mansonienne likes this.

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I recently picked up a 68 DRRI and it works well at home (in the basement). There's a sweet spot on both channels between 4 and 6 that isn't too loud. Haven't posted an NAD because I'm not sure I'm keeping it. Its a good sounding amp, but not stellar, IMO. The tone doesn't "pop" like my OR15. It's lacking "something", not sure what... Had the same problem with a PRRI. Good amps but not quite there for me...

18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Check out Swart. The STR Tweed or STR Tremolo would do great for home use and with the 12 inch can hang for a jam on it's own or a gig with a mic. 5 Watts with 12 inch speaker, tube reverb and on the Trem model power tube trem! Ohhhh sooooo sweeetttt!!

https://swartamps.com/amplifiers.htm

Mansonienne likes this.

19. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Following this thread with great interest...:cool:

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep... Amp GAS.... Counting down to HNAD....:D

Mansonienne likes this.