Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Fender Bassbreaker 18/30 vs. Supersonic 22?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by sunvalleylaw, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2016
    Hailey, ID
    Your thoughts. Go!

I have listed for sale my '61 Fender Concert, and if I sell it, wish to replace it (and possibly my Peavey Classic C-30) with one of the above. I tend to like Fender Tweed to Marshall-esque sounds, rather than squeaky clean Silver or Blackface sounds. But both of these seem like they could give me something I like. I like the idea of two speakers, as I prefer the more open sound of my 4x10 concert as compared to the much more direct 1x12 C30.

So, thoughts?

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    My thoughts are "go to the closest GC and spend some time with both of them". I haven't yet played the 18/30, but the Supersonic 22 is basically a blackface Deluxe Reverb (minus the vibrato circuit, but with the long-spring reverb tank) with a (quite good) second higher-gain channel. The fat switch on the clean channel will take you closer to a tweed tone stack vs a scooped-mid BF sound, but it still sounds like a Deluxe (I had an old one for a while) to me. Between the two channels it covers the range from BF clean to... not quite metal levels of gain, but there are some very good aggressive hard rock sounds in there. Nice all-in-one amp if that's the range you want.

3. Noahclem

Noahclem Senior Stratmaster

Oct 26, 2015
    MD
    In trying both out at the stores, I found it easier to get the sounds I liked out of the Supersonic 22, but you may have an affinity for the 18/30. I like foot-switching channels. The 18/30 is for people who love the no-master volume amps, where you roll down guitar volume for clean (just my opinion). Supersonic is also a bit lighter, as you'd expect. I think Supersonic is made in US if that matters.

Play your classic 30 before you go in and see what you think.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    Supersonic 22 is a great sounding amp.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I'd think the SS has far more tonal variation and control.

6. Sour Mash

Sour Mash Strat-Talker

Jun 7, 2016
    Kentucky
    Supersonic.. It's just a great amp!

7. gibsonman

gibsonman New Member!

Dec 1, 2017
    california
    Do all the SS hiss, mine sure does.....

8. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    My 60 112 does, but only when I’ve got it into gainy SuperSonic goodness.

Clean channels, with no reverb, and the volume at reasonable levels, it’s pretty silent.

9. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    In my opinion the Bassbreaker is the best sounding Fender on the market. I like the tone of the SuperSonic as well but the Bassbreaker has great tone(more Marshall). It still has some issues (but some of the SuperSonics as well and because of those discontinued).
    The best tone for the money (expensive) is the Friedman Runt 20 - options/money/tone. Fender clean to absolutely mean machine Marshall over the top. This amp was made for a lifetime as a keeper.
    I know they come with a big price tag but try one and I am sure it is the last amp you have to buy.

All the best,
    Robin

BlueCajun likes this.

10. gibsonman

gibsonman New Member!

Dec 1, 2017
    california
    you cant hear it when played, but its more then my vox ac15 and HRD, and there is a hum, which I think all tube amps have to some degree,,,,the tone is great though, I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a mesa 5:25 plus