Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Fender Blues Junior Reverb Cutting In/Out

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by rcknowso, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rcknowso

rcknowso Strat-Talk Member

Feb 20, 2011
    KS
    I recently picked up a brand spankin' new BJRIII. However, I've had the amp for two days now and already I've noticed that the reverb will cut out entirely, randomly, and then back in while I play. This is very noticeable.

Additionally, I can hear a distinct static-type sound that accompanies the reverb fading in and out.

I practice quite a bit at home - within an apartment complex - and thus I have an attenuator hooked up to it. I've disconnected it and tried the amp naturally and the issue remains. I have also hooked various guitars into it with no results.

I have little to no experience with tube amp electronics, any insight would be much appreciated.

2. phildobbin

phildobbin Strat-Talker

Jun 22, 2009
    London, England
    If you bought it new, I'd take it back & let the store sort it out. It's under warranty after all...

3. Jfernan

Jfernan Senior Stratmaster

Take it back immediately and ask for a new one.

4. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    yep, no one should have to deal with service centers immediately.

Another one in the box or refund is in order.

You can go ahead and make sure the plugs on the reverb tank are tight.

5. rcknowso

rcknowso Strat-Talk Member

Feb 20, 2011
    KS
    Yeah, probably the only option at this point. I guess I was hoping for some sort of miracle quick fix that would allow me to play it normally today as all the shops are closed. Oh well - back it goes then!

Thanks

6. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    This is exactly the situation that warranties are for.

7. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    Check the connections to the reverb tank. If they are OK, take it back. Pack up everything. Cash back or another one NIB.

8. michaell

michaell Senior Stratmaster

Feb 6, 2011
    on the bus
    take it back and demand a new one

Fender makes great amps but this is not one of them...these are loud and cheaply made....hows that reverb? take it back.

9. Snappy

Snappy Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Beverly Hills, MI
    I'd just about guarantee this is it: Billm Audio » Fixing the Blues Junior Jr Reverb Tank

I had the same issue with an older Blues Jr, it's very common. I fixed my reverb tank per Bill's instructions then decided I wanted to upgrade to the Ruby tank anyway. It made a huge difference. I was still able to sell the old OE tank on ebay for $10.00.

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2008
    De'ville, Florida
    Damn they still havent fixed this issue???? And this is on the NEW BJIII? Unbelievable!

And believe me, I dont blame Fender, except for the fact they keep receiving inferior quality from Acutronics.
    I replaced mine on a blonde I had, but now my buddy has acquired one thats been DOA for sometime.
    The replacement I used was a Ruby, which for some reason is harder to find lately...but Amplified Parts(link at the top of this page) has what appears to be the Ruby tanks(unlabeled) for $16(Im ordering him one today).
    It just doesnt make sense to buy an Acutronics replacement, after all thats the company who made the one that failed.
    To the OP, send it back...but expect more of the same in the future, although youll only have to replace it once.
    And my Ruby tank sounded sweet!

11. atkinsg

atkinsg Strat-Talk Member

Mar 27, 2010
    kanata
    The reverb tanks fender use are garbage.
    I ordered a limited edition red BJ from pro guitar and the reverb tank came doa.
    there is next to no qa testing on these amps I would say or they would have found these tank issues before they left the shop door.

Shame on you Fender... this has been going on for years with BJ amps.

12. dgc_rarities

dgc_rarities New Member!

May 2, 2010
    TN
    I bought a Blues Jr III from Pro Guitar Shop, one of the limited edition red ones with a celestion and the reverb went out in a few weeks. Any Licensed fender repair shop will fix it for you. I havent taken mine in yet, but I have talked to them and they say small transformers in the reverb tank die and they just get a new tank from fender. I've thought about getting a nicer tank from Mojotone or something but I'm not a fan of the reverb circuit on the Blues JR and I dont think a new tank will help that.

13. atkinsg

atkinsg Strat-Talk Member

Mar 27, 2010
    kanata
    the wires in mine were not even connected to the connector sockets WTF...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fixed it myself

14. Snappy

Snappy Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Beverly Hills, MI
  15. trb1

trb1 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 2, 2017
    California
    Thanks you for this post! I found it by a general Google search and...

Nine months ago, I decided to mod my Blues Jr with a combination of BillM and Frommel and a new OT. When done, I found the sounds would range from great to pretty horrid. I could not figure out why, but it really sounded inconsistent. I don't use a lot of reverb, but did find a staticky sound when playing, but not on a consistent basis, described in this OP. Yesterday, I turned up my reverb and found it cutting in and out, and heard the same change in general tone that I noticed after the mods. Until I heard the reverb change, I did not connect the two sound problems. It was totally obvious this time.

So, I took out the tank, prepared to replace it. I didn't have any luck checking continuity as described on the BillM site. My error, I'm sure. I messed with the wiring and did not find any wires loose going into the jack, and just plugged them back in. One went on way farther than it was originally, and I suspect that was the problem: loose connection. So, I just put the tank back in and wow. Not only are all the symptoms gone, the reverb works, and the amp sounds glorious. The mods were awesome, but I couldn't really hear them due to the effect on the performance from the loose connection. It is not my only amp, so I just used another since it did not consistently sound good.

It thought it was my novice mod work, or imagination, but it was just the loose lead all along! I will definitely be giving this amp more play time after finding this really simple but major problem.

Go figure...